Thor I. FossenProfessor of Guidance, Navigation and Control, AMOS Co-director Department of Engineering Cybernetics Centre for autonomous marine operations and systems
Background and activities
My research fields include mathematical modeling and simulation of aircraft, marine craft, unmanned vehicles, guidance, navigation and control systems. This includes sensor fusion and observers for navigation systems (inertial and camera-based systems). I am one of the founders of the DNV-GL company Marine Cybernetics AS, which was established in 2002.
- TTK 4190 Guidance and Control of Vehicles (MSc course)
- TK 8109 Advanced Topics in Guidance and Navigation (PhD course)
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Laboratory (UAV Lab)
- Arch T. Colwell Merit Award i 2008 at the SAE World Congress for Nonlinear Observer for Vehicle Velocity Estimation co-authored by L. Imsland, T. A. Johansen, J. C. Kalkkuhl and A. Suissa.
- Automatica Paper Prize i 2002 for Nonlinear Passive Weather Optimal Positioning Control (WOPC) System for Ships and Rigs: Experimental Results, Automatica, vol. 37, 2001, pages 701-715 co-authored by Dr. Jann Peter Strand.
- ExxonMobil award to PhD candidates in 2000, 2003 og 2005 for best PhD theses at NTNU