Background and activities
Tor Grande was appointed Vice Dean for Research and Innovation at the Faculty of Natural Sciences and Technology on August 1, 2013.
He is a professor in materials chemstry/science at the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, since 1997 and was associate professor at the Department of inorganic chemistry 1994-1997 (NTH/NTNU). He has been a visiting scientist at NIRIM(NIMS) in Japan and University of Rennes and been on sabbatical leave at Northwestern University and EPFL.
Tor Grande (born 1963) has an MSc in Chemistry from NTH (1987) and a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry from NTH (1988).
He is author/co-author of about 220 publications in international journals with referee. He has been the supervisor for 22 PhD candidates and 12 postdocs.
- Solid state chemistry/materials of ferroic materials and solid state ionics.
- Materials synthesis by aqueous chemistry and ceramic processing
- Thermodynamics of materials.
- Phase transitions and phase diagrams.
- Cation transport in oxides
- Deputy Head, Dep. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2002 - 2005
- Department Head, Dep. Mater. Sci. Eng. 2005-2009
- Board member, NTNU NanoLab, 2004 - 2009
- Board member, The Norwegian Research Centre for Solar Cell Technology, 2009 - 2011
- Board member, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Engineering, NTNU, 2009 -2013
- Chairman of the Board, CerPoTech AS, 2009
- Chairman of Electroceramics XII, Trondheim Norway, 2010.
- Member of the Physical Sciences Working Group of European Space Agency (ESA)
- Board member, The VISTA foundation
- Member, The Committee for Gender Balance and Diversity in Research – Norway
- Board member, Research program BALANSE, Norwegian Research Council
- Board member, SINTEF
- Norwegian Technical Science Research Council (NTNF), PhD scholarship, 1989 - 1992.
- Norwegian Technical Science Research Council (NTNF), Post doc scholarship, 1993.
- The Foundation of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters, Science Award, 1995.
- Japan Science and Technology Agency fellowship, Japan, 1996.
- Elected member, The Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences, 1999.
- Elected member, The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters, 2005.
- The Gender Equality Award at NTNU, 2009.
- Elected member, The Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters, 2011.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) A van der Waals Density Functional Study of MoO3 and Its Oxygen Vacancies. Journal of Physical Chemistry C. vol. 120 (16).
- (2016) Origin of ferroelectric polarization in tetragonal tungsten-bronze-type oxides. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 93.
- (2016) Luminescent Eu3+-doped NaLa(WO4)(MoO4) and Ba2CaMoO6 prepared by the modified Pechini method. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology. vol. 77.
- (2016) Electrical conductivity and ferroelastic properties of Ti-substituted solid solutions (1 - x) BiFeO<sub>3</sub> - x Bi<sub>0.5</sub>K<sub>0.5</sub>TiO<sub>3</sub>. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 36 (3).
- (2015) Aqueous tape casting and mechanical properties of La2NiO4 dense membranes. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 35 (1).
- (2015) Thermal evolution of the crystal structure of proton conducting BaCe0.8Y0.2O3-δ from high-resolution neutron diffraction in dry and humid atmosphere. Dalton Transactions. vol. 44 (23).
- (2015) Sintering of sub-micron K0.5Na0.5NbO3 powders fabricated by spray pyrolysis. Journal of the European Ceramic Society. vol. 35 (5).
- (2015) In-situ structural investigations of ferroelasticity in soft and hard rhombohedral and tetragonal PZT. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 118 (16).
- (2015) On the energetics of cation ordering in tungsten-bronze-type oxides. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 17 (45).
- (2015) High temperature X-ray diffraction and thermo-gravimetrical analysis of the cubic perovskite Ba0.5Sr0.5Co0.8Fe0.2O3-δ under different atmospheres. Dalton Transactions. vol. 44 (23).
- (2015) Mechanical stability of piezoelectric properties in ferroelectric perovskites. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 117 (19).
- (2015) Electrical conductivity and thermopower of (1-x) BiFeO3 - xBi(0.5)K(0.5)TiO(3) (x=0.1, 0.2) ceramics near the ferroelectric to paraelectric phase transition. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 17 (14).
- (2015) Diffusion of alkali metals in the first stage graphite intercalation compounds by vdW-DFT calculations. RSC Advances. vol. 5 (21).
- (2014) Piezoelectric K0.5Na0.5NbO3 Ceramics Textured Using Needlelike K0.5Na0.5NbO3 Templates. Journal of The American Ceramic Society. vol. 97 (12).
- (2014) Chemical expansion due to hydration of proton-conducting perovskite oxide ceramics. Journal of The American Ceramic Society. vol. 97 (8).
- (2014) 1D oxide nanostructures from chemical solutions. Chemical Society Reviews. vol. 43 (7).
- (2014) Synthesis and characterization of hybrid aminopropyl silane-based coatings on stainless steel substrates. Surface & Coatings Technology. vol. 238.
- (2014) Effect of crystallographic orientation in textured Baa0.92Ca0.08TiO3 piezoelectric materials. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 116:134102 (13).
- (2014) Direct observation of ferroelectric field effect and vacancy-controlled screening at the BiFeO3/LaxSr1−xMnO3 interface. Nature Materials. vol. 13.
- (2014) Anelastic properties of La0.6Sr0.4Co1−yFeyO3-δ at high temperatures. Solid State Ionics. vol. 262.