Background and activities
Areas of speciality/Fields of responsibility
Research activities are mainly marine oriented. In fish chemistry the research is focused on protein and lipid chemistry related to fish processing and changes in fish quality.
Characterization of the properties of muscle proteins and enzymes is an important topic. Marine lipids is also an important field of research, especially focussed on the stability of lipids/ lipid oxidation. We study the influence of different parameters/factors that are important for fish quality, such as the effect of handling stress on fish quality. We also study the effect of different storage regimes on the quality of fish and marine products (freezing, thawing, superchilling etc.). Many different methods are being used, both physiochemical methods but also modern instrumental methods. Characterisation of marine by-products with regard to increased utilisation of this raw material is also an important field.
- TBT4125 Food Chemistry,
- BT3110 Aquatic food processing and technology,
- BT3119/BT8119 Food chemistry advanced,
- BT8117 Marine lipids
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Physiochemical, microstructure and bioactive characterization of gels made from crayfish protein. Food Hydrocolloids. vol. 63.
- (2017) Rheological properties and antioxidant activity of protein gels-like systems made from crayfish concentrate and hydrolysates. Food and Bioproducts Processing. vol. 102.
- (2017) Nutritional value of the kelps Alaria esculenta and Saccharina latissima and effects of short-term storage on biomass quality. Journal of Applied Phycology.
- (2016) Determination of apparent diffusion coefficient in balls made from haddock mince during brining. Journal of Food Engineering. vol. 175.
- (2016) Reduction of salt in haddock mince: Effect of different salts on the solubility of proteins. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 25 (4).
- (2016) Muscle quality and proteolytic enzymes of farmed Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua)during storage: Effects of pre-storage handling and increased storage temperature. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 25 (4).
- (2016) The role of iron in peroxidation of PUFA: Effect of pH and chelators. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology. vol. 118 (4).
- (2016) Applicability of traditional and advanced methods for oxidative quality and stability on marine phospholipids. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology. vol. 118.
- (2016) Bioactivities of fish protein hydrolysates from defatted salmon backbones. Biotechnology Reports. vol. 11.
- (2016) Changes in myofibrillar structure of silver carp (Hypophtalmichthys molitrix) as affected by endogenous proteolysis under acidic conditions. International journal of food science & technology. vol. 51 (10).
- (2015) Effects of type and concentration of salts on physicochemical properties in fish mince. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 64 (1).
- (2015) Novel utilization of milk-based ingredients in salt reduced fish pudding. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 63 (1).
- (2015) Manufacture of dry-cured ham: a review. Part 1. Biochemical changes during the technological process. European Food Research and Technology. vol. 241 (5).
- (2015) NMR approach for monitoring post-mortem changes in Atlantic salmon fillets stored at 0 and 4 °c. Food Chemistry. vol. 184.
- (2015) Endogenous proteolytic enzymes - A study of their impact on cod (Gadus morhua) muscle proteins and textural properties in a fermented product. Food Chemistry. vol. 172 (April).
- (2014) Changes in water holding capacity and drip loss of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) muscle during superchilled storage. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft + Technologie. vol. 55 (2).
- (2014) The effect of dietary antioxidants on iron-mediated peroxidation in emulsions studied by dissolved oxygen consumption. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology. vol. 116 (7).
- (2014) Iron-mediated peroxidation in marine emulsions and liposomes studied by dissolved oxygen consumption. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology. vol. 116 (2).
- (2013) Production of protein hydrolysates from skipjack tuna (Katsuwonus pelamis) viscera as feeding attractants for Asian seabass (Lates calcarifer). Aquaculture Nutrition. vol. 19 (5).
- (2013) Injection of fish protein solutions of fresh saithe (Pollachius virens) fillets studied by low field Nuclear Magnetic Resonance and physicochemical measurements. Journal of food science and technology. vol. 50 (2).