Background and activities
PhD in Physics: Cornell University Prior employment: Univ. of Arizona, Dartmouth College At NTNU since 2010
Ursula J. Gibson received her A.B. in physics from Dartmouth College, and M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in physics from Cornell University. She was on the faculty of the University of Arizona's Optical Sciences Center for eight years before returning to Dartmouth in 1990. She has held visiting positions at the United States Air Force Academy, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Tampere University of Technology, Chalmers University, and the University of Queensland among others.
Her research is in nanotechnology and the development of optical materials for optoelectronics and mid-infrared lasers.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Vapor deposited Cr-doped ZnS thin films: towards optically pumped mid-infrared waveguide lasers. Optical Materials Express. vol. 6 (9).
- (2016) Compositional and structural properties of pulsed laser-deposited ZnS:Cr films. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing. vol. 122 (84).
- (2016) Silicon Fibres - Past, Present and Future. Advances in Physics. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Tapered polysilicon core fibers for nonlinear photonics. Optics Letters. vol. 41 (7).
- (2015) Evidence of chromium-cobalt binary cluster formation by pulsed laser evaporation. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry. vol. 380.
- (2015) Light trapping in horizontally aligned silicon microwire solar cells. Optics Express. vol. 23 (24).
- (2015) Band-edge modification and mid-infrared absorption of co-deposited FexZn1-xS thin films. Optical Materials Express. vol. 5 (7).
- (2015) Molecular beam and pulsed laser deposition of ZnS:Cr for intermediate band solar cells. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells. vol. 141.
- (2015) Pulsed laser ablation and deposition of ZnS:Cr. Thin Solid Films. vol. 590.
- (2015) Properties of transition metal doped cadmium sulfide hexamers and dodecamers. Chemical Physics Letters. vol. 640.
- (2015) Properties of Transition Metal Substituted Zinc Sulfide Hexamers and Dodecamers. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 17 (21).
- (2015) Kerr nonlinear switching in a hybrid silica-silicon microspherical resonator. Optics Express. vol. 23 (13).
- (2014) Anodic electrodeposition of Ag(1-x)Cu(x) mircocrystals. Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry. vol. 18 (1).
- (2014) Bulk fabrication and properties of solar grade silicon microwires. APL Materials. vol. 2:116108.
- (2014) Silicon-core glass fibres as microwire radial-junction solar cells. Scientific Reports. vol. 4.
- (2013) Fast current-driven switching of magnetic vortex states in permalloy microrings. Applied Physics Letters. vol. 102 (13).
- (2013) Diameter and location control of ZnO nanowires using electrodeposition and sodium citrate. Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing. vol. 113 (1).
- (2013) Purification of melt-spun metallurgical grade silicon micro-flakes through a multi-step segregation procedure. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 363.
- (2013) Alkaline oxide interface modifiers for silicon fiber production. Optical Materials Express. vol. 3 (5).
- (2011) Capacitive sensing of amino acids in molecularly imprinted nylon films. Sensors and actuators. B, Chemical. vol. 155 (2).