Background and activities
Vahid Hassani received his Master of Science degree (hons.) in 2005, with a final thesis on "Control under Communication Constraints". In 2006, Vahid joined the research group of the legendary Profs. Michael Athans and Antonio Pascoal, where he was engaged in the research and development of novel methodologies in robust adaptive control using multi-model techniques.
He received his PhD in 2012 and joined SINTEF Ocean, Formerly known as the Norwegian Marine Technology Research Institute (MARINTEK), as a research scientist in 2013, where he has been conducting research in many fields of marine control, including dynamic positioning, the design of ride control systems for high speed vessels and surface effect ships, and the virtual prototyping of marine systems and operations. Moreover, he has been involved in the development of new methodologies for cyber-physical hybrid model testing at SINTEF Ocean.
In 2014, Vahid undertook a 50% postdoctoral research fellowship at AMOS. In 2015, he became an adjunct associate professor in the Department of Marine Technology, NTNU, where he has been active in teaching and supervising master and PhD candidates. Vahid’s main research interests lie in optimal control, numerical optimization, and robust adaptive control (and estimation) with applications to fault detection, parameter estimation, and autonomous systems. He is currently devising several new national and international research projects on remote and autonomous cargo vessels, sea state estimation, and emission control in marine systems.
In parallel to his research and teaching duties, Vahid was an editor, technical program chair, and vice-chair of the national organizing committee of the 10th IFAC Conference on Control Applications in Marine Systems (CAMS 2016) held in Trondheim, Norway, September 2016.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Robust Dynamic Positioning of offshore vessels using mixed-μ synthesis modeling, design, and practice. Ocean Engineering. vol. 129.
- (2016) Use of Tunnel- and Azimuthing Thrusters for Roll Damping of Ships. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Robust Lateral Control of a Surface Effect Ship using H∞ Mixed Sensitivity Synthesis. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Modeling and Course Control of Sailboats. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Roll Stabilization Control of Sailboats. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2014) Experimental Results on Motion Regulation in High Speed Marine Vessels. IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation.
- (2013) Multiple Model Adaptive Estimation for Open Loop Unstable Plants. Proceedings of the ECC'2013. Proceedings of the IEEE.
- (2013) A novel methodology for robust dynamic positioning of marine vessels: theory and experiments. American Control Conference (ACC).
Part of book/report
- (2017) OMAE2017-61771 Cyber Security Issues in Navigation Systems of Marine Vessels From Control Perspective. ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 7B: Ocean Engineering.
- (2016) Virtual prototyping of maritime systems and operations. ASME 2016 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 7: Ocean Engineering.
- (2016) Establishment of a Validation and Benchmark Database for the Assessment of Ship Operation in Adverse Conditions. ASME 2016 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 1: Offshore Technology; Offshore Geotechnics.
- (2015) Wave Filtering and Dynamic Positioning of Marine Vessels Using a Linear Design Model: Theory and Experiments. Transport of Water versus Transport over Water Exploring the Dynamic Interplay of Transport and Water.
- (2015) Time Domain Simulation Model for Research Vessel Gunnerus. Proceedings ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 7: Ocean Engineering.
- (2015) Supervisory Control of Line Breakage for Thruster-Assisted Position Mooring System. 10th IFAC Conference on Manoeuvring and Control of Marine Craft (MCMC 2015).
- (2015) Identification of Nonlinear Manoeuvring Models for Marine Vessels Using Planar Motion Mechanism Tests. Proceedings ASME 2015 34th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 7: Ocean Engineering.
- (2014) Defining a Pseudo-Metric Topology on Linear Dynamic Systems. Proceedings of the 19th IFAC World Congress, 2014.
- (2014) Simulating Minimum Required Power and Manoeuvrability in Adverse Conditions. 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Volume 8B: Ocean Engineering.
- (2013) A Novel Methodology for Adaptive Wave Filtering of Marine Vessels: Theory and Experiments. Proceedings 52nd IEEE Conference on Decision and Control December 10-13, 2013. Florence, Italy.
- (2013) Adaptive Wave Filtering for Dynamic Positioning of Marine Vessels Using Maximum Likelihood Identification: Theory and Experiments. Proceedings of the 9th IFAC Conference on Control Applications in Marine Systems (CAMS 2013).