Background and activities
Alexey Pavlov is a Professor in Petroleum Cybernetics at the Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP). He has a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering (2004) from Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, an MSc Degree in Applied Mathematics (1998) from St. Petersburg State University, Russia, and background in industrial research and development from Statoil, Norway, and Ford Motor Co, USA.
- Digital and automatic solutions for Oil and Gas industry
- Drilling, Production, Reservoir management
- Modelling, automatic control, optimization and estimation systems
- Nonlinear and high performance systems
- Human-machine interaction
Current research activities
- Digital and automatic solutions for Oil and Gas industry
Past research activities
- Project leader, inventor and researcher for a number of industrial R&D projects in Statoil within Drilling automation, Production optimization, Artificial lift systems, Heavy oil
- Co-supervisor for 5 completed PhD projects in automatic control and optimization with applications to petroleum production, drilling and marine technologies
- Book: A. Pavlov, N. van de Wouw, and H. Nijmeijer, Uniform Output Regulation of Nonlinear Systems: A convergent Dynamics Approach, ISBN 0-8176-4445-8, Birkhauser, 2005.
- Scientific publications: More than 100 publications in the field of automatic control, optimization and estimation with fundamental research and applications to oil and gas, automotive, marine, electronics and semiconductor industries. See the complete publications list in the CV and Google scholar publication statistics.
- Patents: 2 patents and 4 pending patent applications in oil and gas and automotive disciplines.
Awards and honors
- 2015 IEEE Control Systems Technology Award, “For the Development and Application of Variable Gain Control Techniques for High-Performance Motion Systems”.
- 2014 Finalist for Askeladdprisen – Statoil’s innovation award in Porsgrunn Research Centre, “For ESP control system development”
- 2011 IFAC Application Paper Award at World Congress of International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) for the paper “Drilling seeking automatic control solutions”.
- 2004, 2007 Outstanding Reviewer for Automatica, the journal of IFAC
- 1999 Personal Scholarship for young scientists from the Government of Russian Federation
- Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 2017-now
- Member of International Program Committees, 2009-now
- IFAC Int. Workshop on Adaptation and Learning in Control and Signal Processing, 2016
- IFAC Workshop on Automatic Control in Offshore Oil and Gas Production, 2015, 2018
- IFAC Symposium on Nonlinear Control Systems, 2010, 2013
- IFAC Conference on Analysis and Control of Chaotic Systems, 2009
- Reviewer for international journals and conferences, 1998-now
- Automatica, IEEE Trans. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, International Journal of Adaptive Control & Signal Processing, Journal of Process Control, Systems & Control Letters, etc.
- Senior Member IEEE
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Adaptive output regulation for offshore managed pressure drilling. International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing. vol. 31 (4).
- (2017) The seeding of ice algal blooms in Arctic pack ice: The multiyear ice seed repository hypothesis. Journal of Geophysical Research - Biogeosciences. vol. 122 (7).
- (2015) Suppressing Pressure Oscillations in Offshore Drilling: Control Design and Experimental Results. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 23 (2).
- (2015) Robust regulation of heave-induced pressure oscillations in offshore MPD. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2014) Modeling and avoidance of heave-induced resonances in offshore drilling. SPE Drilling & Completion. vol. 29 (4).
- (2014) Embedded Model Predictive Control for an Electric Submersible Pump on a Programmable Logic Controller. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2013) Modeling and Control of Heave-Induced Pressure Fluctuations in Managed Pressure Drilling. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 21 (4).
- (2013) A Framework for Fault Diagnosis in Managed Pressure Drilling Applied to Flow-Loop Data. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2011) Straight Line Path Following for Formations of Underactuated Marine Surface Vessels. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 19 (3).
- (2010) Curved Trajectory Tracking for Surface Vessels under Constant External Disturbances. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2009) Straight Line Path Following for Formations of Underactuated Surface Vessels Under Influence of Constant Ocean Currents. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2009) Conditional Integrators for Path Following and Formation Control of Marine Vessels under Constant Disturbances. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2009) Maritime Surveillance and Monitoring using Autonomous Vehicles with Conditional Integrator Based Control. OCEANS.
- (2009) MPC-Based Optimal Path Following for Underactuated Vessels. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
- (2008) Integral LOS Control for Path Following of Underactuated Marine Surface Vessels in the Presence of Constant Ocean Currents. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.
- (2008) Observer-based control of discrete-time piecewise affine systems: exploiting continuity twice. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.
- (2008) Incremental passivity and output regulation. Systems & control letters (Print). vol. 57 (5).
- (2008) A new perspective on stable inversion of non-minimum phase nonlinear systems. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 29 (1).
- (2008) Convergent discrete-time nonlinear systems: the case of PWA systems. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2008) Fast computation of frequency response functions for a class of nonlinear systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.