Background and activities
Alexey Pavlov is a Professor in Petroleum Cybernetics at the Department of Geoscience and Petroleum (IGP). He has a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering (2004) from Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands, an MSc Degree in Applied Mathematics (1998) from St. Petersburg State University, Russia, and background in industrial research and development from Statoil, Norway, and Ford Motor Co, USA.
- Digital and automatic solutions for Oil and Gas industry
- Drilling, Production, Reservoir management
- Modelling, automatic control, optimization and estimation systems
- Nonlinear and high performance systems
- Human-machine interaction
Current research activities
- Digital and automatic solutions for Oil and Gas industry
Past research activities
- Project leader, inventor and researcher for a number of industrial R&D projects in Statoil within Drilling automation, Production optimization, Artificial lift systems, Heavy oil
- Co-supervisor for 5 completed PhD projects in automatic control and optimization with applications to petroleum production, drilling and marine technologies
- Book: A. Pavlov, N. van de Wouw, and H. Nijmeijer, Uniform Output Regulation of Nonlinear Systems: A convergent Dynamics Approach, ISBN 0-8176-4445-8, Birkhauser, 2005.
- Scientific publications: More than 100 publications in the field of automatic control, optimization and estimation with fundamental research and applications to oil and gas, automotive, marine, electronics and semiconductor industries. See the complete publications list in the CV and Google scholar publication statistics.
- Patents: 2 patents and 4 pending patent applications in oil and gas and automotive disciplines.
Awards and honors
- 2015 IEEE Control Systems Technology Award, “For the Development and Application of Variable Gain Control Techniques for High-Performance Motion Systems”.
- 2014 Finalist for Askeladdprisen – Statoil’s innovation award in Porsgrunn Research Centre, “For ESP control system development”
- 2011 IFAC Application Paper Award at World Congress of International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) for the paper “Drilling seeking automatic control solutions”.
- 2004, 2007 Outstanding Reviewer for Automatica, the journal of IFAC
- 1999 Personal Scholarship for young scientists from the Government of Russian Federation
- Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 2017-now
- Member of International Program Committees, 2009-now
- IFAC Int. Workshop on Adaptation and Learning in Control and Signal Processing, 2016
- IFAC Workshop on Automatic Control in Offshore Oil and Gas Production, 2015, 2018
- IFAC Symposium on Nonlinear Control Systems, 2010, 2013
- IFAC Conference on Analysis and Control of Chaotic Systems, 2009
- Reviewer for international journals and conferences, 1998-now
- Automatica, IEEE Trans. Control Systems Technology, IEEE Trans. Automatic Control, International Journal of Adaptive Control & Signal Processing, Journal of Process Control, Systems & Control Letters, etc.
- Senior Member IEEE
- TPG4565 - Petroleum Engineering, Specialization Course
- TPG4215 - Drilling Engineering 2
- TPG4560 - Petroleum Engineering, Specialization Project
- PG8406 - Petroleum Cybernetics
- PG6210 - Petroleum Cybernetics for Engineers and Managers
- PG8501 - Managed Pressure Drilling: Methods and Case Studies
- TPG4242 - Drilling Engineering 3
- TPG4920 - Petroleum Engineering, Master's Thesis
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Nonlinear integral coupling for synchronization in networks of nonlinear systems. Automatica. vol. 140.
- (2022) Derivative-free trust region optimization for robust well control under geological uncertainty. Computational Geosciences. vol. 26.
- (2021) Prediction and Early Detection of Karsts — An Overview of Methods and Technologies for Safer Drilling in Carbonates. Energies. vol. 14 (20).
- (2021) Micro-Testing While Drilling for Rate of Penetration Optimization: Experiments and Simulations. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 144 (3).
- (2021) Real-Time Minimization of Mechanical Specific Energy with Multivariable Extremum Seeking. Energies. vol. 14 (5).
- (2021) State-Space Kernelized Closed-Loop Identification of Nonlinear Systems. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2021) Computationally efficient identification of continuous-time Lur'e-type systems with stability guarantees. Automatica. vol. 136.
- (2021) Dither signals optimization in constrained multi-agent extremum seeking control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2020) Drilling in Karstified Carbonates: Early Risk Detection Technique. International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE) [proceedings]. vol. 11.
- (2019) Photoacclimation state of an Arctic underice phytoplankton bloom. Journal of Geophysical Research (JGR): Oceans. vol. 124 (3).
- (2019) Fast Identification of Continuous-Time Lur’e-type Systems with Stability Certification. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 52 (16).
- (2018) Miniature robotic drilling rig for research, technology development and education. Oil, Gas. vol. 44 (1).
- (2018) Algal colonization of young arctic sea ice in spring. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 5.
- (2018) Synchronization of networked oscillators under nonlinear integral coupling. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (33).
- (2017) Adaptive output regulation for offshore managed pressure drilling. International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing. vol. 31 (4).
- (2016) Modelling and robustness analysis of model predictive control for electrical submersible pump lifted heavy oil wells. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Robust extremum seeking control with application to gas lifted oil wells. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (13).
- (2015) Suppressing Pressure Oscillations in Offshore Drilling: Control Design and Experimental Results. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 23 (2).
- (2015) Robust regulation of heave-induced pressure oscillations in offshore MPD. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).