BRU21: Better Resource Utilization in the 21st century
NTNU launches Research and Innovation Program in Digital and Automation Solutions for the Oil and Gas Industry
NTNU, in collaboration with industrial partners, is establishing a new Research & Innovation Program in Digital and Automation Solutions for the Oil and Gas Industry with up to 40 PhD/PostDoc positions.
ObjectiveThe objective of the program is to develop novel digital and automation methods and technologies, as well as to prepare multidisciplinary specialists in the corresponding areas to increase efficiency, safety and environmental care in all operations in oil and gas activities. This program is the first step in implementing NTNU's strategy in oil and gas research, as presented in the BRU21 report.
Research areasThe program is organized as a multidisciplinary eco-system across seven departments at NTNU: Geoscience and Petroleum, Engineering Cybernetics, Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, Information Security and Communication Technology, Sociology and Political Science, Industrial Economics and Technology Management. The research program covers the corresponding multidisciplinary areas of digitalization and automation. Most of the program’s research projects will be linked to specific digitalization/automation cases originating from our industrial partners. Innovation is a vital part of the program.
On the petroleum engineering side, the program is organized around the following main areas:
- Field development and operational planning
- Drilling & well construction efficiency
- Reservoir monitoring and management
- Operational and production efficiency, reliability, maintenance and safety
On the digital side, the program involves application and research within the following areas:
- Big data analytics
- Automatic control technologies
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Autonomy and robotics
- Data-driven and model-based optimization
- Automatic estimation, identification and detection
- Stochastic programming
- Cyber/information security
- Organizational and economical aspects of digitalization/automation