BRU21 Conference 2023
BRU21 Conference 2023
BRU21 Conference 2023
The last years brought about tough challenges to the society and industry: climate crisis, corona, war in Europe. This has led to tectonic changes in the energy industry, and in the oil and gas industry in particular.
For the oil and gas production, security of supply, resilience against market volatilities and uncertainties, electrification, as well as higher efficiency of all operations are the new requirements.
How to solve these challenges? What is the role of digitalization and automation in that?
We invite you to the BRU21 conference that will address these challenges. This is an arena for both academic and industrial experts sharing their latest achievements and discussing future research challenges.
DAY 1 – May 31st: Radisson Blu Royal Garden Hotel Trondheim
09:00-10:00 - Conference registration & Coffee
Welcome: Ute Mann, Head of Department of Geoscience and Petroleum, NTNU
Keynote 1: Technology development – The Norwegian model. Link to presentation.
Keynote 2: More to gain from the Norwegian Continental Shelf. Link to presentation.
BRU21 overview: Link to presentation. Alexey Pavlov, BRU21 Program Manager
11:30-12:30 - Lunch
12:30-14:15 – Parallel sessions: BRU21 achievements
Machine learning and data-driven methods
Moderator: Lars Struen Imsland
Room: Main conference room
- Kristian Løvland: Closed-loop challenges in data-driven virtual flow metering
- Sushil Acharya: Dynamic Depth Alignment of Well-bore Measurements Using Machine Learning
- Gianluca Tabella: Sequential Detection of Critical Events via Decentralized Sensor Networks
- Wanwan Zhang: A two-stage model for RUL prediction of offshore wind turbine based on LightGBM and CNN-LSTM-BNN
Field development and economics
Moderator: Verena Hagspiel
Room: Munkholmen/Kristiansten – 2 etg
- Olga Noshchenko: Investment planning under uncertainty: A multi-objective real options analysis of offshore platform electrification
- Siva Kumar: Multi-objective optimization of natural gas distribution network
- Markus Skudal and Tobias Hyldmo: Optimal tie-back development for a portfolio of marginal fields under reservoir and price uncertainty
- Ramon Abritta: Operation, maintenance and investment strategy for offshore energy hub
Drilling and well
Moderator: Behzad Elahifar
Room: Sverresborg – 2 etg
- David Semwogerere: Well Integrity optimization for life extension decisions
- Mostafa Gomar: Real-time fault and symptoms detection from along-string wired pipe measurements
- Haoge Liu: Subsea lay out optimization (SUBPRO)
- Sigve Hovda: Drillstring Dynamics and ROP Optimization
Operations, maintenance, safety and security
Moderator: Jørn Vatn
Room: Lade – 3 etg
- Endre Sølvsberg: Automating outlier detection using the Mahalanobis Distance
- Jie Liu: Qualification of digital twins for maintenance (SUBPRO)
- Xingheng Liu: Degradation modelling and remaining useful life estimation for subsea choke valves (SUBPRO)
- Balint Zoltan Teglasy: Securing Underwater Assets
New business and operational models
Moderator: Eric Monteiro
Room: Austraaat – 3 etg
- Itishree Mohallick: Collaboration and digital tools in early-stage design
- Mahdis Moradi: Navigating the OSDU Adoption Dilemma: Is your Organization Ready?
- Eric Monteiro: Presentation of "Digital oil. Machineries of knowing" (MIT Press 2022)
- Per Morten Schiefloe: Digital transformation and organizational challenges
14:15-14:30 - Coffee break
14:30-15:45 - Poster session, exhibition, networking and snacks:
- ProDecs – Better investment decisions for investment projects with uncertainties, Semyon Fedorov and Verena Hagspiel
- ComputerWell – Digital Twin for drilling monitoring, Sigve Hovda and Magnus Halvor Hallaråker
- DrillFeel – increase driller’s situation awareness, Jorn Visser and Olav Ødegård
- Permean – Rapid downhole tester of permeability anisotropy, Milan Stanko
- Machine learning-based depth matching of well logs, Sushil Acharya
- Automating outlier detection using the Mahalanobis Distance, Endre Sølvsberg
- RAMS lab, Xingheng Liu
- Automated Dull Bit Grading & Lithology Detection via wired pipe data, Mostafa Gomar
15:50-16:00 - Conclusion, day 1 Alexey Pavlov
|19:00-21:00 - Conference dinner, Radisson Blu Royal Garden Hotel Trondheim (Aperitif from 18:30)|
DAY 2 – June 1st: NTNU Gløshaugen
08:30-09:00 - Coffee and networking
09:00-09:15 - Opening of day two – Reflections from day one. Moderator: Alexey Pavlov
Keynote 3: Transformation of the exploration and production through implementation of new technology. Link to presentation.
Keynote 4: Solution Seeker: Accelerating the research on data-driven methodology. Link to presentation. Bjarne Grimstad, CTO Solution Seeker.
Keynote 5: Technology needs Technologists. Link to presentation.
10:45-11:05 - Coffee break
BRU21 OSDU innovation lab – Open Subsurface Data Universe: Link to presentation. Mahdis Moradi
11:30-12:30 - Lunch
12:30-13:20- Parallel discussion sessions with focus on the need for future research and education needs (Moderators start with intro presentation: 5 minutes each followed by discussion)
Parallel 1: Electrification and decarbonisation of the NCS: Radical reduction of CO2-emisions: Moderator: Vidar Hepsø, Leading researcher, Equinor.
Parallel 2: Increasing efficiency of all operations: getting more by targeting less. Moderator: Alireza Forooghi, Lead Production and Flow Assurance Engineer, Neptune Energy.
Parallel 3: People and expertise: Who do we need to educate for the industry? Moderator: Carl Jörg Petersen, Digitalization & Technology Lead, Wintershall DEA Norway.
13:20-13:40 - Coffee break
Reporting findings: The need for future research and education. Moderated by Egil Tjåland
Panel debate: Industry-academia collaboration: how to strengthen value creation through research, education and innovation. Participants:
|Moderator Egil Tjåland, NTNU||Sveinung Løset, Vice Dean Research, NTNU Faculty of Engineering||Vidar Hepsø, Leading researcher, Project Manager, Equinor||Konstantin Osypov, Chief Scientific Advisor, Halliburton||Bjarne Grimstad, Chief Technology Officer, Solution Seeker|
14:50-15:00 - Concluding remarks – Alexey Pavlov