Annjo Klungervik Greenall
Background and activities
I'm professor of English language at the Department of Language and Literature at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. I defended my PhD thesis on Paul Grice's Cooperative Principle, in 2002. Since then, I made a detour via sociolinguistics before ending up with a specialism within translation studies, which is where I currently do most of my work within teaching and research.
I am currently head of the department's English section.
- English as a global (source) language
- Translation and language change
- Translation of pragmatic phenomena (e.g. humour, politeness, swearing)
- Song translation
I supervise MA and PhD theses within the abovementioned (and other) areas. Here's a list of some of the MA theses I have supervised: https://backends.it.ntnu.no/syndicator-web/public/files/992d8c5d-0944-36d9-b535-0b024fe2aa31. If you have an idea for a project, please don't hesitate to contact me.
I'm a member of IATIS (International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies).
In 2012 I released a CD with my own translations into Norwegian of a selection of songs from Billie Holiday's reportoire (Eg vandrar langs kaiane, Øra Fonogram). In 2018 I released a second CD containing translations of English-language, Norwegian pop-songs into Norwegian (Løgn og forbannet gjendiktning, Øra Fonogram). Both are available in iTunes, and on YouTube.
In addition to publishing articles for a broader audience in the daily press, appearing on radio and giving talks at various kinds of event (see CRIStin), I sometimes publish short articles on my blog, on the broad topic of 'English in Norway' (in Norwegian). I also produce content for Gyldendal's online learning platform Salaby.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Introduction: voice, ethics and translation. Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice. vol. 27 (5).
- (2019) Translation and Adaptation as Recontextualization: The Case of The Snowman. Adaptation. vol. 12 (3).
- (2019) Poems to be recited or lyrics to be sung? Bob Dylan in Norwegian translation. mTm A Translation Journal. vol. 11.
- (2018) The discursive (re-)construction of translational ethics. Perspectives: Studies in Translation Theory and Practice.
- (2017) Fast forward to the past? Popular-song-translation communities as spaces for language acquisition and learning. Vita Traductiva. vol. 9.
- (2017) Erlend Loe's style in translation: The differing voices of first- and second-language translators. mTm A Translation Journal. vol. 9.
- (2015) Translators’ voices in Norwegian retranslations of Bob Dylan’s songs. Target. vol. 27 (1).
- (2012) Attracting international students by means of the web: Transadaptation, domestication and cultural suppression. International Journal of the Sociology of Language. vol. 216.
- (2011) Translating breaches of intersubjective constraints on interaction: The case of swearing in Roddy Doyle's novel The Commitments. Meta : Journal des traducteurs. vol. 56 (3).
- (2009) Gricean theory and linguicism: Infringements and physical violence in the relationship between Manuel and Basil Fawlty. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 41 (3).
- (2009) Towards a new theory of flouting. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 41 (11).
- (2004) MT in the EU: Globalization, gisting, and the increasing acceptance of context-heavy interpretation. Translation Studies in the New Millennium: An International Journal of Translation and Interpreting. vol. 2.
- (2003) Monologism and dialogism in machine and human translation. Translation Studies in the New Millennium: An International Journal of Translation and Interpreting. vol. 1.
- (2018) Greenall, Högberg & the Language: Løgn og forbannet gjendiktning. Løgn og forbannet gjendiktning
- (2017) Engelskspråklige, norske pophits på nynorsk. null
- (2017) Norske, engelskspråklige pophits på nynorsk. null
- (2016) Konsert på Oversatte dager 2016. null
- (2016) Pop som poesi: Engelskspråklig norsk pop i nynorsk oversettelse. null
- (2015) Norsk på nynorsk. null
- (2013) Billie Holiday på nynorsk: Minikonsert. Billie Holiday på nynorsk