Background and activities
- Translation Studies (translation of pragmatic phenomena (e.g. swearing); audiovisual translation, translation of/and humour, song translation, translation and society)
- Sociolinguistics (English as a global language, the spread of English via popular cultrue, language choice in Norwegian/Scandinavian popular music, Norwegian/English code-switching)
- Pragmatics (flouting, implicature, intercultural communication)
In 2012 I released a CD with my own translations into Norwegian of a selection of songs from Billie Holiday's reportoire. The CD can be bought on iTunes, or you can send me an email to request a physical copy.
In addition to publishing articles for a broader audience in the daily press, appearing on radio and giving talks at various kinds of event (see CRIStin), I sometimes publish short articles on my blog, on the topic of 'English in Norway' (in Norwegian).
- ENG3123 Translation
- ENG1001 Global English
- ENG2501 Global English and Popular Culture
I supervise MA theses and PhD dissertations within all three areas outlined above. This is a list of MA theses I have supervised within the field of Translation Studies: https://innsidawls.itea.ntnu.no/syndicator-web/public/files/992d8c5d-0944-36d9-b535-0b024fe2aa31. If you have an idea for a project, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Translation and Adaptation as Recontextualization: The Case of The Snowman. Adaptation.
- (2018) The discursive (re-)construction of translational ethics. Perspectives: Studies in Translatology.
- (2017) Fast forward to the past? Popular-song-translation communities as spaces for language acquisition and learning. Vita Traductiva. vol. 9.
- (2017) Erlend Loe's style in translation: The differing voices of first- and second-language translators. mTm A Translation Journal. vol. 9.
- (2015) Translators’ voices in Norwegian retranslations of Bob Dylan’s songs. Target. vol. 27 (1).
- (2012) Attracting international students by means of the web: Transadaptation, domestication and cultural suppression. International Journal of the Sociology of Language. vol. 216.
- (2011) Translating breaches of intersubjective constraints on interaction: The case of swearing in Roddy Doyle's novel The Commitments. Meta : Journal des traducteurs. vol. 56 (3).
- (2009) Gricean theory and linguicism: Infringements and physical violence in the relationship between Manuel and Basil Fawlty. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 41 (3).
- (2009) Towards a new theory of flouting. Journal of Pragmatics. vol. 41 (11).
- (2004) MT in the EU: Globalization, gisting, and the increasing acceptance of context-heavy interpretation. Translation Studies in the New Millennium: An International Journal of Translation and Interpreting. vol. 2.
- (2003) Monologism and dialogism in machine and human translation. Translation Studies in the New Millennium: An International Journal of Translation and Interpreting. vol. 1.
- (2018) Greenall, Högberg & the Language: Løgn og forbannet gjendiktning. Løgn og forbannet gjendiktning
- (2017) Engelskspråklige, norske pophits på nynorsk. null
- (2017) Norske, engelskspråklige pophits på nynorsk. null
- (2016) Konsert på Oversatte dager 2016. null
- (2016) Pop som poesi: Engelskspråklig norsk pop i nynorsk oversettelse. null
- (2015) Norsk på nynorsk. null
- (2013) Billie Holiday på nynorsk: Minikonsert. Billie Holiday på nynorsk
- (2013) Inderleg og blått: Konsert. null
- (2012) Eg vandrar langs kaiane - releasekonsert. null