Background and activities
Aslak Bakke Buan is a professor in Mathematics at the Department of Mathematical Sciences, where he has since August 2013 been Vice Chair. He is a member of the algebra group.
Main area of research
Representation theory of finite dimensional algebras. Homological algebra, including triangulated categories. Combinatorial methods in representation theory, including AR-theory and cluster combinatorics. See profile at Google Scholar.
Teaching and supervision
- Lectured courses: Cryptography; Introduction to cryptography; Discrete Mathematics; Linear Algebra; Mathematics for students in computer science; Ring theory; Rings and modules; Algebra and Number Theory; Coding theory
- Supervised 16 master students and 8 PhD-students.
- Educational projects: Involved in KTDiM (Kvalitet, Tilgjengelighet og Differensiering i grunnutdanningen i Matematikk) og StudForsk
- Currently (2013-): Vice Chair of Department of Mathematical Sciences with responsibility for teaching.
Recent Leadership experience
- 2011-2015: Vice Chair, Norwegian Mathematical Society
- 2013- : Vice Chair of Department of Mathematical Sciences
- 2014-2017: Project leader for Clusters, Combinatorics and Computations in Algebra (NFR-FriPro)
- 2015: Coorganizer of the program in Representation Theory at Institut Mittag-Leffler.
- Member of American Mathematical Society, European Mathematical Society and Norsk matematisk forening
- Elected member (2013) of The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters
- Dr.Scient (PhD) from NTNU, January 2000. Thesis: Relative homology, derived categories and cotilting theory. Supervisor: Øyvind Solberg.
Cand.Scient (master degree) from Universitetet i Trondheim, AVH, May 1995. Thesis: Cartan-determinant-formodningen. Supervisor: Øyvind Solberg.
- 2009- Professor at NTNU
- 2005-2009 Associate professor at NTNU
- 2003-2005 Postdoctoral fellow (Norwegain research council), NTNU, UiO and University of Leicester
- 2001-2002 Assistant professor at NTNU (temporary position)
- 2000-2001 Advisor at Bankenes Betalingssentral (Nets)
- 1996-1999 PhD fellow at Unversitetet i Trondheim, AVH
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Torsion pairs and rigid objects in tubes. Algebras and Representation Theory. vol. 17 (2).
- (2014) Classifying torsion pairs for tame hereditary algebras and tubes. Contemporary Mathematics. vol. 607.
- (2013) FROM TRIANGULATED CATEGORIES TO MODULE CATEGORIES VIA LOCALISATION. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. vol. 365 (6).
- (2012) THE ALGEBRAS DERIVED EQUIVALENT TO GENTLE CLUSTER TILTED ALGEBRAS. Journal of Algebra and its Applications. vol. 11 (1).
- (2012) From triangulated categories to module categories via localization II: calculus of fractions. Journal of the London Mathematical Society. vol. 86.
- (2012) From m-clusters to m-noncrossing partitions via exceptional sequences. Mathematische Zeitschrift. vol. 271 (3-4).
- (2011) AN INTRODUCTION TO HIGHER CLUSTER CATEGORIES. Bulletin of the Iranian Mathematical Society. vol. 37 (2).
- (2011) MUTATION OF CLUSTER-TILTING OBJECTS AND POTENTIALS. American Journal of Mathematics. vol. 133 (4).
- (2011) Three kinds of mutation. Journal of Algebra. vol. 339 (1).
- (2010) Cluster structures from 2-Calabi-Yau categories with loops. Mathematische Zeitschrift. vol. 265 (4).
- (2010) Denominators in cluster algebras of affine type. Journal of Algebra. vol. 323 (8).
- (2009) Cluster structures for 2-Calabi-Yau categories and unipotent groups. Compositio Mathematica. vol. 145 (4).
- (2009) Denominators of cluster variables. Journal of the London Mathematical Society. vol. 79.
- (2009) Coloured quiver mutation for higher cluster categories. Advances in Mathematics. vol. 222 (3).
- (2009) The number of elements in the mutation class of a quiver of type D-n. The Electronic Journal of Combinatorics. vol. 16 (1).
- (2008) Cluster mutation via quiver representations. Commentarii Mathematici Helvetici. vol. 83.
- (2008) Derived equivalence classification for cluster-tilted algebras of type A(n). Journal of Algebra. vol. 319.
- (2007) Support varieties - an ideal approach. Homology, Homotopy and Applications. vol. 9 (1).
- (2007) Cluster-tilted algebras. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. vol. 359.
- (2007) Clusters and seeds in acyclic cluster algebras. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society. vol. 135 (10).
- (2007) Tame concealed algebras and cluster quivers of minimal infinite type. Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra. vol. 211 (1).
- (2006) Tilting theory and cluster combinatorics. Advances in Mathematics. vol. 204 (2).
- (2006) Acyclic quivers of finite mutation type. International mathematics research notices.
- (2006) Cluster-tilted algebras of finite representation type. Journal of Algebra. vol. 306 (2).
- (2005) Limits of Pure-Injective Cotilting Modules. Algebras and Representation Theory. vol. 8 (5).
- (2004) Kryptografi i skolen. ?. vol. 15 (3).
- (2004) Kryptografi, del 2. ?. vol. 15 (4).
- (2004) Tilting and cotilting for quivers of type (A)over-tilde(n). Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra. vol. 190.
- (2002) On the lattice of cotilting modules. AMA : Algebra Montpellier Announcements : Annonces de Montpellier en Algèbre.
- (1998) Relative cotilting theory and almost complete cotilting modules. CMS Conference Proceedings Series. vol. 24.
- (2013) Algebras, Quivers and Representations. Springer Science+Business Media B.V.. 2013. ISBN 978-3-642-39484-3.
- (2003) Decentralized Credentials. NORDSEC 2003 . [Mangler data]; Gjøvik. 2003-10-17.
- (2003) Digital Signatures by Decentralized Credentials. NIK'2003 . [Mangler data]; Oslo. 2003-11-26.