Audrey van der Meer
Background and activities
Brain researcher and Professor of Neuropsychology at NTNU. In addition, I am visiting Professor in Developmental Psychology at UiT The Arctic University of Norway in Tromsø.
I hold an MSc in Human Movement Sciences (Psychology and Philosophy) from the Free University of Amsterdam (1988) and a PhD in Experimental Psychology from the University of Edinburgh (1992).
My present teaching concentrates on Biological and Developmental Psychology from bachelor to PhD level, with a main focus on the Master in Psychology - specialization Learning: brain, behaviour, and environment. I supervise many Master's and graduate students investigating the human brain from an Ecological Neuroscience perspective.
Together with my husband, Professor of Cognitive Psychology Ruud van der Weel, I am Director of the Developmental Neuroscience Laboratory at NTNU Trondheim. Here we investigate human development from a life-span perspective. A better understanding of the underlying principles that guide development, learning, and cognitive ageing will allow us to facilitate learning and prevent problems, especially in infants and toddlers between 0-3 years of age with their fast-developing brains that show a great deal of plasticity and enormous potential for learning.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The importance of cursive handwriting over typewriting for learning in the classroom: A high-density EEG study of 12-year-old children and young adults. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 11.
- (2020) Meaning before grammar: A review of ERP experiments on the neurodevelopmental origins of semantic processing. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review. vol. 27 (3).
- (2020) Det norske tilbud til barn med hjerneskader er faglig utdatert. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- (2019) Infants' brain responses to looming danger: Degeneracy of neural connectivity patterns. Ecological psychology. vol. 31 (3).
- (2018) A high‐density EEG study of differentiation between two speeds and directions of simulated optic flow in adults and infants. Psychophysiology. vol. 56 (1).
- (2017) Does prospective control of preparatory heart rate responses occur during biathlon events?. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2017) Only three fingers write, but the whole brain works: A high-density EEG study showing advantages of drawing over typing for learning. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 8 (MAY).
- (2016) Development of visual motion perception for prospective control: Brain and behavioral studies in infants. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 7.
- (2016) Longitudinal study of preterm and full-term infants: High-density EEG analyses of cortical activity in response to visual motion. Neuropsychologia. vol. 84.
- (2016) Multisensory integration of audiovisual looming in infants. Cognitive and Behavioral Psychology.
- (2016) Persepsjon av visuell bevegelse og prospektiv kontroll: Hjernestudier hos terminfødte og for tidlig fødte spedbarn. Psykologisk tidsskrift. vol. 20 (1).
- (2016) TauG-guidance of dynamic balance control during gait initiation in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. Clinical Biomechanics. vol. 37.
- (2016) Persepsjon av visuell bevegelse og prospektiv kontroll: Hjerne- og atferdsstudier hos terminfødte og premature spedbarn. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. vol. 53 (9).
- (2015) Infants' Cortical Responses to Audiovisual Looming studied with High-Density EEG. GSTF Journal of Psychology. vol. 1.
- (2015) Longitudinal study of perception of structured optic flow and random visual motion in infants using high-density EEG. Developmental Science. vol. 18 (3).
- (2015) EEG Biometrics: On the use of occipital cortex based features from visual evoked potentials. NIKT: Norsk IKT-konferanse for forskning og utdanning.
- (2015) A high-density EEG study of differences between three high speeds of simulated forward motion from optic flow in adult participants. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience. vol. 9:146.
- (2013) Combining findings from gaze and electroencephalography recordings to study timing in a visual tracking task. NeuroReport. vol. 24 (17).
- (2013) Tidlig diagnostisering av for tidlig fødte spedbarn. Prematurposten : tidsskrift for Prematurforeningen.
- (2013) Longitudinal study of looming in infants with high-density EEG. Developmental Neuroscience. vol. 34 (6).
- Other subjects within psychology
- Biological psychology
- Cognitive psychology
- Developmental psychology
- Children's early development
- Premature children
- Child neuropsychology
- Early Diagnosis
- Developmental coordination disorder
- Cerebral Palsy
- Prospective control