Background and activities
Bjarne Foss is Pro-Rector for Research at NTNU from 1 August 2017.
The Vice President Research at NTNU has a specific responsibility for monitoring research and strategy at the university. This includes research training. He also coordinates NTNU's international contacts.
Bjarne Foss has been a professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics since 1989. He has a PhD in Engineering Cybernetics from NTNU.
- 2017 – Vice President Research, NTNU
- 1989 – Professor, Department of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
Executive board positions
- 2000 – 2015 Board member of Cybernetica AS (spin-off company within process control)
- 2000 - 2002 Board member of First Scandinavia (foundation for youth interest in STEM)
- 2002 – 2005 Board member of NTNU
- 2009 – 2017 Board member of NTNU
- 2013 – Board member of Solution Seeker AS (spin-off company within AI)
- 2017 - Board member of Universities Norway (Universitets og høgskolerådet)
- 2018 - Chair of Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience at NTNU
- Modeling, control and optimization for industrial applications
- Production optimization
- Data analytics
- Model predictive control
- Model based control and optimization
- Main supervisor for 31 completed PhD degrees
- Project leader for several national industry development projects
- Project leader in several international development projects (for ESA and EU)
- 300 refereed journal papers, conference publications and book-chapters
- H-factor 39, ~7000 citations (Google Scholar)
- 2 patents
- Co-author of one book.
- Guest editor in scientific journals
- A substantial number of restricted technical reports and international keynotes and invited lectures
- 2008 - Member of the The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (founded 1760)
- 1997 - Senior Member of IEEE
- 1996 - 2004 Member editorial board of Mathematical Modelling
- 1996 - 2010 Associate editor in Journal of Process Control
- 1996 - Member IFAC Technical Committee on Chemical Process Control
- 1994 - Chair, co-chair and member of several IPCs (International Program Comittees)
- 1993 - Member of The Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA)
- 2013 Co-founder - Solution Seeker AS
- 2000 Co-founder - FIRST Scandinavia
- 2000 Co-founder - Cybernetica AS
- 2011 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
- 2010 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
- 2007 Award for pedagogical innovation «Pedagogisk nybrottsarbeid« by Tekna -The Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals
- 1995 The Karl Diesel Best Paper Award from the Society of Design & Process Science, Austin, Texas
- 1980: «Innstilling« awarded for the siv.ing. (MSc) degree–communicated to the Norwegian King
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) A reduced random sampling strategy for fast robust well placement optimization. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 184.
- (2020) A nonlinear model predictive control scheme for sensor fault tolerance in observation processes. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control. vol. 30 (14).
- (2019) A Primal decomposition algorithm for distributed multistage scenario model predictive control. Journal of Process Control. vol. 81.
- (2019) Network-Constrained Production Optimization by Means of Multiple Shooting. SPE Reservoir Evaluation and Engineering. vol. 22 (02).
- (2018) Petroleum production optimization ? A static or dynamic problem?. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 114.
- (2018) A Distributed Optimization Strategy for Large Scale Oil and Gas Production Systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2018) A Distributed Algorithm for Scenario-based Model Predictive Control using Primal Decomposition *. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (18).
- (2018) Steady-State Real-time Optimization using Transient Measurements. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 115.
- (2018) Improving Scenario Decomposition for Multistage MPC using a Sensitivity-based Path-following Algorithm. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision & Control, including the Symposium on Adaptive Processes.
- (2018) Improving Scenario Decomposition for Multistage MPC using a Sensitivity-based Path-following Algorithm. IEEE Control Systems Letters. vol. 2 (4).
- (2017) Echo State Networks for data-driven downhole pressure estimation in gas-lift oil wells. Neural Networks. vol. 85.
- (2017) Multiple shooting applied to robust reservoir control optimization including output constraints on coherent risk measures. Computational Geosciences. vol. 21 (3).
- (2017) Closed-loop predictions in reservoir management under uncertainty. SPE Journal. vol. 22 (5).
- (2017) Dual adaptive model predictive control. Automatica. vol. 80.
- (2017) Incipient Actuator Fault Handling in Nonlinear Model Predictive Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).
- (2017) Shale-gas wells as virtual storage for supporting intermittent renewables. Energy Policy. vol. 102.
- (2017) Gas Lift Optimization under Uncertainty. Computer-aided chemical engineering. vol. 40.
- (2016) An Augmented Lagrangian Method for Optimal Control of Continuous Time DAE Systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2016) Black-oil minimal fluid state parametrization for constrained reservoir control optimization. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 143.
- (2016) A two-layer structure for stabilization and optimization of an oil gathering network. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).