Background and activities
Bjarne Foss is Pro-Rector for Research at NTNU from 1 August 2017.
The Pro-Rector for research at NTNU has a specific responsibility for monitoring research and strategy at the university. This includes research training. Pro-Rector for Research also coordinates NTNU's international contacts.
Bjarne Foss (born 1957) has been a professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics since 1989. He has a PhD in Engineering Cybernetics and an MSc in Electrical Engineering from The Norwegian Institute of Technology (NTH, now NTNU). He belongs to the research group Process Control Systems.
- 2017– , Pro-Rector for Research, NTNU
- 2007– , Area manager at the IO center, NTNU
- 1989– , Professor, NTNU
Other current duties
- 2000–2015, Board member Cybernetica AS
- 2002–2005 and 2009– , Board member NTNU
- 2013– , Board member Solution Seeker AS
- Modeling, control and optimization in the upstream petroleum industries
- Production optimization
- Well monitoring
- Model predictive control
- Model based control and optimization
- Main supervisor for 29 completed PhD degrees
- Project leader for several national industry development projects
- Project leader in three international development projects (for ESA and EU)
- More than 250 refereed journal papers, conference publications and book-chapters
- H-factor 35, 4500 citations (Google Scholar)
- 2 patents
- Co-author of one book. Guest editor Journal of Process Control, Int.J.Control and MIC
- A substantial number of restricted technical reports and international keynotes and invited lectures
- 2008–, Member of the The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (founded 1760)
- 2007–, Member of SPE
- 1997–, Senior Member of IEEE
- 1996–2004, Member editorial board of Mathematical Modelling
- 1996–2010, Associate editor in Journal of Process Control
- 1996– , Member IFAC Technical Committee on Chemical Process Control
- 1994– , Chair, co-chair and member of several IPCs (International Program Comittees)
- 1993– , Member of The Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA)
- 2013 Co-founder – Solution Seeker AS
- 2000 Co-founder FIRST Scandinavia
- 2000 Co-founder – Cybernetica AS
- 2011: 2011 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
- 2010: 2010 IBM Open Collaborative Faculty Award
- 2007: Award for pedagogical innovation «Pedagogisk nybrottsarbeid« by Tekna -The Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals
- 1995: The Karl Diesel Best Paper Award from the Society of Design & Process Science, Austin, Texas
- 1980: «Innstilling« awarded for the siv.ing. (MSc) degree–communicated to the Norwegian King
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Echo State Networks for data-driven downhole pressure estimation in gas-lift oil wells. Neural Networks.
- (2017) Shale-gas wells as virtual storage for supporting intermittent renewables. Energy Policy. vol. 102.
- (2016) An Augmented Lagrangian Method for Optimal Control of Continuous Time DAE Systems. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2016) Black-oil minimal fluid state parametrization for constrained reservoir control optimization. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 143.
- (2016) A two-layer structure for stabilization and optimization of an oil gathering network. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Global optimization of multiphase flow networks using spline surrogate models. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 84.
- (2016) On selection of controlled variables for robust reservoir management. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 147.
- (2016) Spline Fluid Models for Optimization. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Well placement optimization subject to realistic fielddevelopment constraints. Computational Geosciences. vol. 20 (6).
- (2016) Real-Time Optimization under Uncertainty Applied to a Gas Lifted Well Network. Processes. vol. 4.
- (2015) Profit and risk measures in oil production optimization. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) A mean-variance objective for robust production optimization in uncertain geological scenarios. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 125.
- (2015) Output-Constraint Handling and Parallelization for Oil-Reservoir Control Optimization by Means of Multiple Shooting. SPE Journal. vol. 20 (04).
- (2015) Production optimization - Facilitated by divide and conquer strategies. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) Virtual Flow Metering using B-spline Surrogate Models. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) Production optimization under uncertainty-applied to petroleum production. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (8).
- (2015) Scenario based implicit dual model predictive control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (23).
- (2015) Production optimization under uncertainty with constraint handling. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 48 (6).
- (2015) Optimal Switching Time Control of Petroleum Reservoirs. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. vol. 131.
- (2015) MPC-based dual control with online experiment design. Journal of Process Control. vol. 32.