Background and activities
My research focuses on how environmental pollutants affects animals. The focus is particularly on the effects of environmental pollutans on endocrine systems (hormone systems and vitamin balance). How do endocrine disrupting pollutants affect the animals ability to survive, reproduce, and to adapt to natural or antropogenic changes in the environment (such as climate change)? My research group has research activity both in the field in Norway and in the Arctic (Svalbard), and in the lab. We have effects in a range of species that are naturally exposed to environmental pollutants: zooplankton, cod, frogs, birds such as ptarmigan, house sparrow, european shag, eider duck, kittiwake, Brünnich's guillemot, glaucous gull and ivory gull, and mammals such as harbour seal, grey seal, hooded seal, ringed seal, bearded seal, walrus, white whale and polar bear. Through a comparative approach to environmental toxicology we obtain knowledge on sensitive species and functional effects of endocrine disrupters on wildlife and ecosystems.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Exposure of juvenile turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) to silver nanoparticles and 17α-ethinylestradiol mixtures: Implications for contaminant uptake and plasma steroid hormone levels. Environmental Pollution. vol. 220.
- (2017) Blood and feather concentrations of toxic elements in a Baltic and an Arctic seabird population. Marine Pollution Bulletin. vol. 114 (2).
- (2017) Concentrations of vitamin A, E, thyroid and testosterone hormones in blood plasma and tissues from emaciated adult male Arctic foxes (Vulpes lagopus) dietary exposed to persistent organic pollutants (POPs). Environmental Research. vol. 154.
- (2016) Differential bioaccumulation of potentially toxic elements in benthic and pelagic food chains in Lake Baikal. Environmental science and pollution research international. vol. 23.
- (2016) DNA double-strand breaks in incubating female common eiders (Somateria mollissima): Comparison between a low and a high polluted area. Environmental Research. vol. 151.
- (2016) Persistent organic pollutant levels and the importance of source proximity in Baltic and Svalbard breeding common eider. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. vol. 35 (6).
- (2016) Antioxidant Responses in Relation to Persistent Organic Pollutantsand Metals in a Low- and a High-Exposure Population of Seabirds. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50.
- (2016) Carbon Nanotube Properties Influence Adsorption of Phenanthrene and Subsequent Bioavailability and Toxicity to Pseudokirchneriella subcapitata. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50 (5).
- (2016) Relationships between concentrations of selected organohalogen contaminants and thyroid hormones and vitamins A, E and D in Faroese pilot whales. Environmental Research. vol. 148.
- (2016) Steroids in house sparrows (Passer domesticus): Effects of POPs and male quality signalling. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 547.
- (2016) Circumpolar contaminant concentrations in polar bears (Ursus maritimus) and potential population-level effects. Environmental Research. vol. 151.
- (2016) Phenanthrene Bioavailability and Toxicity to Daphnia magna in the Presence of Carbon Nanotubes with Different Physicochemical Properties. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50 (22).
- (2015) Vitamins A and E in liver, kidney, and whole blood of East Greenland polar bears sampled 1994–2008: reference values and temporal trends. Polar Biology.
- (2015) 137Cs, 40K and 210Po in marine mammals from the southern Baltic Sea. Marine Pollution Bulletin. vol. 101 (1).
- (2015) The impact of TiO2 nanoparticles on uptake and toxicity of benzo(a)pyrene in the blue mussel (Mytilus edulis). Science of the Total Environment. vol. 511.
- (2015) Impact of TiO2 nanoparticles on freshwater bacteria from three Swedish lakes. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 535.
- (2015) Thyroid hormones and deiodinase activities in plasma and tissues from East Greenland polar bears (Ursus maritimus) during winter season. Polar Biology. vol. 38 (8).
- (2015) Thyroid hormones and deiodinase activity in plasma and tissues in relation to high levels of organohalogen contaminants in East Greenland polar bears (Ursus maritimus). Environmental Research. vol. 136.
- (2015) Hydroxylated polychlorinated biphenyls decrease circulating steroids in female polar bears (Ursus maritimus). Environmental Research. vol. 138.
- (2015) Steroid hormone profile in female polar bears (Ursus maritimus). Polar Biology. vol. 38 (8).
- (2015) Legacy and emerging organic pollutants in liver and plasma of long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas) from waters surrounding the Faroe Islands. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 520.
- (2015) Anthropogenic flank attack on polar bears: interacting consequences of climate warming and pollutant exposure. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. vol. 3.
- (2015) A review of ecological impacts of global climate change on persistent organic pollutant and mercury pathways and exposures in arctic marine ecosystems. Current Zoology. vol. 61 (4).
- (2015) Accumulation and potential health effects of organohalogenated compounds in the arctic fox (Vulpes lagopus)-a review. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 502.
- (2015) Biotransformation of petroleum hydrocarbons and microbial communities in seawater with oil dispersions and copepod feces. Marine Pollution Bulletin. vol. 101 (2).
- (2015) Concentrations of viable oil-degrading microorganisms are increased in feces from Calanus finmarchicus feeding in petroleum oil dispersions. Marine Pollution Bulletin. vol. 98 (1-2).
- (2015) Effect of diet, location and sampling year on bioaccumulation of mercury, selenium and cadmium in pelagic feeding seabirds in Svalbard. Chemosphere. vol. 122.
- (2015) Toxic and essential elements changed in black-legged kittiwakes (Rissa tridactyla) during their stay in an Arctic breeding area. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 502.
- (2014) DNA double-strand breaks in relation to persistent organic pollutants in a fasting seabird. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. vol. 106.
- (2014) Double-Strand Breaks In Relation To Persistent Organic Pollutants In Fasting Common Eiders (Somateria Molissima). Mutagenesis. vol. 29 (6).
- (2014) Sex and life stage dependent phototactic response of the marine copepod Calanus finmarchicus (Copepoda: Calanoida). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. vol. 451.
- (2014) Multigenerational exposure to ocean acidification during food limitation reveals consequences for copepod scope for growth and vital rates. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 48 (20).
- (2014) Altered vitamin D status in liver tissue and blood plasma from Greenland sledge dogs (Canis familiaris) dietary exposed to organohalogen contaminated minke whale (Balaenoptera acuterostrata) blubber. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. vol. 104 (1).
- (2014) Acute and sub-lethal response to mercury in Arctic and boreal calanoid copepods. Aquatic Toxicology. vol. 155.
- (2013) Transthyretin-Binding Activity of Contaminants in Blood from Polar Bear (Ursus maritimus) Cubs. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (9).
- (2013) Sublethal Exposure to Crude Oil Enhances Positive Phototaxis in the Calanoid Copepod Calanus finmarchicus. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (24).
- (2013) Associations between vitamins A and E and legacy POP levels in highly contaminated Greenland sharks (Somniosus microcephalus). Science of the Total Environment. vol. 442.
- (2013) Effect-Directed Analysis To Explore the Polar Bear Exposome: Identification of Thyroid Hormone Disrupting Compounds in Plasma. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 47 (15).
- (2013) Low- and High-Volume of Intensive Endurance Training Significantly Improves Maximal Oxygen Uptake after 10-Weeks of Training in Healthy Men. PLoS ONE. vol. 8 (5).
- (2013) Effects of complex organohalogen contaminant mixtures on thyroid homeostasis in hooded seal (Cystophora cristata) mother–pup pairs. Chemosphere. vol. 92.
- (2012) Associations between complex OHC mixtures and thyroid and cortisol hormone levels in East Greenland polar bears. Environmental Research. vol. 116.
- (2012) PCBs and OH-PCBs in polar bear mother-cub pairs: A comparative plasma levels in 1998 and 2008. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 417-418.
- (2012) Perfluoroalkyl substances in polar bear mother-cub pairs: A comparative study based on plasma levels from 1998 and 2008. Environment International. vol. 49.
- (2017) ELEMENTS AND ELEMENTAL SPECIES IN SEDIMENT CORE AS PROXY OF THE CLIMATE VARIABILITY AND MARINE BIOGEOCHEMICAL PROCESSES. ASLO 2017 AQUATIC SCIENCES MEETING ; 2017-02-26 - 2017-03-03.
- (2017) MULTI-PROXY INVESTIGATION OF RECENT SEDIMENTS IN TWO DIFFERENT EUROPEAN COASTAL AREAS (POLAND, NORWAY) – ANTHROPOGENIC IMPACT ON ECOSYSTEM HEALTH. ASLO 2017 AQUATIC SCIENCES MEETING ; 2017-02-26 - 2017-03-03.
- (2017) CLIMATE WARMING TODAY AND IN THE PAST IN THE SOUTHERN BALTIC AND NORWEGIAN COAST AREA – A MULTIPROXY STUDY. ASLO 2017 AQUATIC SCIENCES MEETING ; 2017-02-26 - 2017-03-03.
- (2017) PRESENT AND PAST-MILLENNIA PHYTOPLANKTON BLOOMS IN TWO DIFFERENT EUROPEAN COASTAL AREAS. ASLO 2017 AQUATIC SCIENCES MEETING ; 2017-02-26 - 2017-03-03.
- (2016) Inorganic proxies of climate change in sediments from the Gulf of Gdańsk (Poland)and Oslofjord (Norway). Baltic 2016 – The 13th Colloquium on Baltic Sea Marine Geology . The Polish Geological Institute; Gdańsk. 2016-09-12 - 2016-09-16.
- (2016) Effects of engineered nanoparticle-contaminant mixture exposures to aquatic organisms. SETAC Europe 26th Annual Meeting . SETAC; Nantes. 2016-05-20 - 2016-05-25.
- (2016) Emerging chemicals in birds of prey from Spain and Norway: exposure and effects. SETAC Europe . Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC); Nantes. 2016-05-22 - 2016-05-26.
- (2016) Differences in exposure to environmental contaminants depending on habitat ecology and location in white-tailed eagle (Haliaeetus albicilla) chicks from Norway. Norwegian Environmental Toxicology Symposium (NETS) 2016 . Norsk Institutt for Vannforskning; Oslo Science Park. 2016-10-25 - 2016-10-27.
- (2016) Relationships between per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances and stable isotopes in terrestrial and marine raptor nestlings from Spain and Norway. DIOXIN 2016: International Symposium on Halogenated Persistent Organic Pollutants ; Firenze. 2016-08-28 - 2016-09-02.
- (2013) Interactions between polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and carbon nanotubes in aquatic environments. 23rd Annual SETAC Europe Meeting ; Glasgow. 2013-05-12 - 2013-05-16.