Background and activities
Main Research activities and publications in the field of
Microclimate studies for existing Built Environment and Cultural Heritage Preservation. Study of the Deterioration Mechanisms. Climate control and energy efficiency of HVAC systems and their impact on collections and historic buildings, detection of Risk materials/Areas. Environmental Analyses and damage assessment. Mitigation Remedies and strategies for cultural heritage preservation. Historic climate reconstruction indoors for the conservation of organic hygroscopic cultural heritage objects.
Atmospheric Science and Historic Climatology. Climate Change reconstruction over the last millennium in Italy and over the Western Mediterranean Basin using both documentary proxy data and early and recent instrumental observations. Analysis of the natural and anthropogenic forcing factors driving Climate Changes.
INTERNATIONAL AND EU FUNDED PROJECTS MEMBERSHIP:
- Winner of the FRIPRO-FRINATEK YOUNG RESEARCH TALENT to have funded and to coordinate the project titled: Sustainable Management of Heritage Buildings in a long-term perspective (2018-2021). Coordinator: NTNU. Partners: Norwegian Institute for Cultural Heritage research NIKU, Polish Academy of Science PAS and the Getty Conservation Institute - Project Number 274749.
- the SyMBoL - Sustainable Management of Heritage Buildings in a long-term perspective Project supports the European Year of Cultural Heritage - EYCH 2018: "Our heritage: where the past meets the future"
- Visit: https://www.ntnu.edu/symbol
- Leader of the NTNU Experts Group within the Project engaged by Riksantikvaren -Directorate for Cultural Heritage (2017-2026). Title: Environmental monitoring of the impact of climate change on protected buildings – miljøovervåkning av konsekvensen av klimaendringene på fredete bygninger. Coordinator: NIKU. Partners: Mycoteam, NTNU, Uppsala University, NIBIO, Multiconsult AS, Stiftelsen Lillehammer museum - Project Number SAKSNR 15/02185
- Leader of the NTNU Experts Group within the international Pilot Project engaged by Riksantikvaren - Directorate for Cultural Heritage (2016). Title: Methods for environmental monitoring of the impact and consequences of climate loads on buildings – Coordinator: NIKU. Partners: Mycoteam, NTNU, UU and NIBIO – project Number 90247200
- Partner in the Agreement on Scientific Cooperation (2014-2016) between the National Research Council (CNR) and the Polish Academy of Sciences (PAS) concerning “Transport and deposition of particulate matter in historic building”
- EU Project: Climate for Culture, (Contract no.: 226973)
- EU Project: Sensorgan, (Contract no. 022695)
- EU Project: Millennium European Climate, (Contract no.: 017008-2).
Since 2012: Expert in the European Committee for Standardisation CEN/TC 346/WG7: “Specifying and measuring Indoor/Outdoor Climate”
- Diocesan Museum and Galleries of Tiepolo, Udine, Italy (2015-present)
- MUVE–Venice Civic Museums Foundation (June 2012-2015)
- UNESCO- Private Committees Program for the Safeguarding of Venice. Letter Contract n. 10-07 FR 3240237849 e Research Grant n. 09-04 FR 3240216228
- Parish of St. Andrew the Apostle, Chioggia (Venice), Italy (2011-2013)
- BAPPSAE Superintendency of Venice (2007-2008)
Tens of monitoring campaigns for the preservation of monuments and UNESCO sites carried out in Italy and in Europe.
Research, development, field application of the new Free Water Sensor, in collaboration with IRCSS, Padua.
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE:
Member of the international Scientific Committee of the ESIAM19 – First European Conference Structural Integrity of Additively Manufactured Materials held in Trondheim the 9-11 September 2019. www.structuralintegrity.eu
PARTICIPATION IN EDITORIAL COMMITTEES
Guest Editor in the Special Issue: “Cultural Heritage and Climate Change" to be published in the journal Geosciences (ISSN 2076- 3263) in July 2018, for more information visit: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/geosciences/special_issues/Preservation_Cultural_Heritage_Climate_Change
Scopus ID: 25823678000
Researcher ID: I-5874-2012
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Chiara_Bertolin
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Tiepolo’s frescoes back to the natural light: the assessment of environmental risks. CSAV Academic Journal for Vernacular Architecture.
- (2019) Increasing the Resilience of Cultural Heritage to Climate Change through the application of a Learning Strategy. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 961.
- (2018) Sustainable interventions in historic buildings: A developing decision making tool. Journal of Cultural Heritage. vol. 34.
- (2018) Particle penetration, emission and deposition in the Diocesan Museum in Udine, Italy to assess soiling of Giambattista Tiepolo’s wall paintings. Studies in Conservation. vol. 63 (1).
- (2018) A Methodology for Long-Term Monitoring of Climate Change Impacts on Historic Buildings. Geosciences. vol. 8 (10).
- (2018) Indoor Multi-Risk Scenarios of Climate Change Effects on Building Materials in Scandinavian Countries. Geosciences. vol. 8 (9).
- (2018) Towards Zero-Emission Refurbishment of Historic Buildings: A Literature Review. Buildings. vol. 8 (2).
- (2018) Adapting Cultural Heritage to Climate Change Risks: Perspectives of Cultural Heritage Experts in Europe. Geosciences. vol. 8 (8).
- (2018) Lofoten Peninsula and Eolian Archipelago: Vernacular architecture experiences in two Fisherman`s villages. CSAV Academic Journal for Vernacular Architecture.
- (2017) When the Lagoon was frozen over in Venice from A.D. 604 to 2012: evidence from written documentary sources, visual art and instrumental readings. Méditerranée. Revue géographique des pays méditerranéens. vol. thematic issue - Varia.
- (2017) A novel proxy and the sea level rise in Venice, Italy, from 1350 to 2014. Climatic Change. vol. 143 (1-2).
- (2017) Temperature observations in Bologna, Italy, from 1715 to 1815: a comparison with other contemporary series and an overview of three centuries of changing climate. Climatic Change. vol. 142 (1-2).
- (2017) The earliest Noctilucent Clouds observation (Parma, 1840). Bulletin of The American Meteorological Society - (BAMS).
- (2016) Unfavorable microclimate conditions in exhibition rooms: early detection, risk identification, and preventive conservation measures. Journal of Paleontological Techniques. vol. 15.
- (2016) The Stancari air thermometer and the 1715–1737 record in Bologna, Italy. Climatic Change.
- (2016) Aurorae observed by Giuseppe Toaldo in Padua (1766-1797). Journal of Space Weather and Space Climate. vol. 6.
- (2016) European summer temperatures since Roman times. Environmental Research Letters. vol. 11 (2).
- (2018) Towards zero emission refurbishment in historic urban districts. CRC Press. 2018. ISBN 9781138067448.
- (2018) VVITA Project - Sustainable and inclusive development of strategies to vitalize villages through innovative architecture technologies. Proceedings of the 4th biennial of architectural and urban restoration. 2018. ISBN 978-88-909116-5-1.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Climate Change and indoor enviroments. Cultural Heritage from pollution to climate change.
- Building materials
- Mapping and measuring
- Climate change effects
- Cultural Heritage Conservation
- Building conservation
- Painted wood
- Historical climatology
- Cultural heritage and climate change
- Climate change and natural hazards
- Environmental monitoring
- Indoor climate
- Climate change adaptation