Background and activities
I have obtained Ph. D. in Mechanical Engineering, specialized field – Hydropower, and the total 20 years of experience in industry, research and academic teaching. My work focuses on fundamental and applied research of turbines and pumps that includes laboratory measurements, computational fluid dynamic analysis and fluid structure interactions. The current research focuses on investigation of fatigue damage to the Francis turbines, which are subject to variable blade loading due to intermittency and energy flexibility. My research group aims to develop the next-generation of hydropower technology with robust turbine design and operational flexibility. Click on hyperlink to know more about my laboratory, waterpower laboratory, and the state-of-the-art research.
|03.2020||Senior Design Engineer||Rainpower Norge AS||Norway|
|02.2014||Senior Research Fellow||IIT Roorkee||India|
3. Academic qualification
|08.2014||Ph. D.||Mechanical Engineering (Hydropower)
IIT Roorkee, India and LTU Sweden.
|07.2009||M. Tech.||Mechanical Engineering (Turbomachinery)
SVNIT Surat, India.
4. Research projects
|05.2018 - 02.2020||HydroFlex – Increasing the value of hydropower through increased flexibility
EU H2020 | WP Leader | NTNU Norway
|01.2015 - 07.2018||HiFrancis – Fatigue loading and lifetime estimation of high head Francis turbine
RCN | Local WP Leader | NTNU Norway
|01.2016 - 02.2020||HydroCen – Norwegian research center (FME) for hydropower technology
RCN | Project participant and coordinator (India) | NTNU Norway
|10.2018 - 02.2020||FranSed – Design and develop a Francis turbine for handling heavy sediments
HydroCen | Local WP Leader | NTNU Norway
|02.2014 - 07.2014||CFD analysis of turbine intake system
Project Leader | IIT Roorkee India
|02.2014 - 07.2014||Study on erosion wear using slurry pot tester
Project Leader | IIT Roorkee India
|05.2019||Francis-99 third workshop||NTNU Norway|
|12.2016||Francis-99 second workshop||NTNU Norway|
|12.2014||Francis-99 first workshop||NTNU Norway|
6. Publications and statistics
|Journal articles (reviewed)||108|
|Google Scholar||Citations: 1100 | h-index: 18|
|Scopus||Citations: 0835 | h-index: 17|
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Optimization of Francis Turbines for Variable Speed Operation Using Surrogate Modeling Approach. Journal of Fluids Engineering - Trancactions of The ASME. vol. 142 (10).
- (2020) Time-dependent inception of vortex rings in a Francis turbine during load variation: Large eddy simulation and experimental validation. Journal of Hydraulic Research.
- (2019) Variable-speed operation of Francis turbines: A review of the perspectives and challenges. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 103.
- (2019) A systematic validation of a Francis turbine under design and off-design loads. Journal of Verification, Validation and Uncertainty Quantification. vol. 4 (1).
- (2018) Investigations of Compressible Turbulent Flow in a High-Head Francis Turbine. Journal of Fluids Engineering - Trancactions of The ASME. vol. 140 (1).
- (2018) Interaction between trailing edge wake and vortex rings in a Francis turbine at runaway condition: Compressible large eddy simulation. Physics of Fluids. vol. 30 (7).
- (2017) A review on fluid structure interaction in hydraulic turbines: A focus on hydrodynamic damping. Engineering Failure Analysis. vol. 77.