Background and activities
Daniel studied Civil Engineering (Bachelor + Master) at the University of Granada (Spain). After completing his studies in 2005, he worked for 1 year in the construction of a 110 km long highway in the South of Spain (AP7 Cartagena-Vera). Subsequently he returned to academia as a researcher at University College Dublin (Ireland) and obtained a PhD in bridge dynamics in 2010. Then he worked as a postdoctoral researcher in industry and academia in several positions in various countries. As part of a Marie-Curie project called NOTES (Nonstationary respOnse of spaTially Extended Structures), he worked one year at Plaxis BV (The Netherlands) studying moving loads in soil-structure interaction problems and another year at Trinity College Dublin investigating the potential of wavelet analysis. In 2013 he joined the research and innovation division of Roughan & O’Donovan, Ireland’s leading bridge design office. There he worked on structural analysis of bridges and investigated improvements in Bridge Weigh-In-Motion technology. In 2014, he spent a year at the Royal Institute of technology (Sweden) investigating railway bridge dynamics as part of another Marie-Curie project (Long Life Bridges). Since 2015 he lives in Norway and works at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). During 2 years he was a postdoctoral fellow where his main task was the investigation of dynamic phenomena in large floating bridges, as part of the E39 ferry free project. More in particular, he investigated the effects of parametric excitation of mooring systems for floating bridges and submerged tunnels. Since July 2017, Daniel is part of the Concrete group in the Structural Engineering department as an Associate Professor.
Daniel’s research interest include: structural health monitoring, concrete bridges, temperature effects,bridge dynamics, signal processing, finite element modelling and Bridge Weigh-In-Motion, amogst others.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Evolution of bridge frequencies and modes of vibration during truck passage. Engineering structures. vol. 152.
- (2017) Numerical Evaluation of Modal Properties Change of Railway Bridges during Train Passage. Procedia Engineering. vol. 199.
- (2017) Tension during parametric excitation in submerged vertical taut tethers. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 65.
- (2017) Indirect monitoring of vortex-induced vibration of suspension bridge hangers. Structural Health Monitoring.
- (2017) Influence line extraction by deconvolution in the frequency domain. Computers & structures. vol. 189.
- (2017) Determination of longitudinal profile of railway track using vehicle-based inertial readings. Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical engineers. Part F, journal of rail and rapid transit. vol. 321 (5).
- (2017) Drive-by detection of railway track stiffness variation using in-service vehicles. Proceedings of the Institution of mechanical engineers. Part F, journal of rail and rapid transit. vol. 231 (4).
- (2016) Recent Studies of Parametrically Excited Mooring Cables for Submerged Floating Tunnels. Procedia Engineering. vol. 166.
- (2016) The reinforcement and healing of asphalt mastic mixtures by rejuvenator encapsulation in alginate compartmented fibres. Smart materials and structures (Print). vol. 25 (8).