Background and activities
Originally from Wales in the United Kingdom, Dave is has a PhD in Sustainable Facilities Management from the Centre for Real Estate and Facilities Management in the Department of Architecture and Planning.
In 2019 Dave was awarded the European Facilities Management Network (EuroFM) ‘European Researcher of the Year’ for his contributions to the advancement of "knowledge in FM and promote its effective application in practice and education".
Dave also has a Bachelor in Politics and Modern History from Cardiff University completed in 2007, as well as a Master in Globalisation, Global Politics and Culture from NTNU completed in 2014. He also worked for SINTEF Technology and Society during the last year of his Master.
Prior to his move to Norway, Dave worked for nearly 5 years for a British Member of Parliament.
He is researching how users and communities can better engage themselves in Smart Cities projects as more formal intermediaries and is currently a Postdoctoral Fellow on the Nordforsk project 'Citizens as the Pilots of Smart Cities' (CaPs).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) The impact of an urban facilities management summer school on the participants. Facilities. vol. 40 (3/4).
- (2020) Exploring urban facilities management approaches to increase connectivity in smart cities. Facilities.
- (2019) Bridging the gap between sustainable FM and sustainable buildings an exploratory study of six public buildings in Norway. Facilities.
- (2019) Defining a niche for Facilities Management in Smart Cities. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 352 (1).
- (2018) Green leases and green leasing in theory and in practice: a state of the art review. Facilities.
- (2018) Green leasing in commercial real estate. The drivers and barriers for owners and tenants of sustainable office buildings. Journal of Corporate Real Estate. vol. 20 (4).
- (2016) Green leasing in theory and practice: A study focusing on the drivers and barriers for owners and tenants of commercial offices. Raportti (Tampereen teknillinen yliopisto. Rakennustuotanto ja -talous).
- (2015) Sustainable facilities management and green leasing: The company strategic approach. Procedia Economics and Finance. vol. 21.
- (2018) Green Leases and Green Leasing: A Terminological Overview of Academia and Practice. EuroFM. 2018. ISBN 978-94-90694-09-8.
Part of book/report
- (2022) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY: THE CITIZEN CENTERED JOURNEY TOWARDS SUSTAINABLE SMART CITIES IN THE NORWEGIAN CONTEXT. Cities in a Changing World: Questions of Culture, Climate and Design Online AMPS PROCEEDINGS SERIES 24.2.
- (2021) A Case of Principle: The Commonalities Between Green Leasing and Urban FM from the perspective of Practice. 6th Conference of Interdisciplinary Research on Real Estate.
- (2021) Brought by Degrees: A Focus on the Current Indicators of Lean ‘Smartness’ in Smart Cities. Lean Construction in Crisis Times: Responding to the Post Pandemic AEC Industry Challenges.
- (2021) Back to School - the Impact of Short Timeframe Student Case Studies on Projects and Educational Programs in the Context of Urban FM. The 20th EuroFM Research Symposium 16-17 June 2021.
- (2019) Opportunity Knocks: Green Leases and Green Leasing in Sustainable Office Buildings. Research Papers for the 18th EuroFM Research Symposium EFMC2019 12-15 June 2019 in Dublin, Ireland.
- (2017) BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEEN SUSTAINABLE FM AND SUSTAINABLE BUILDINGS An exploratory study of six public buildings in Norway. International Research Conference 2017: Shaping tomorrow's built Environment.
- (2016) Green and Sustainable – How are These Terms Reflected in the Context of Facilities Management?. Proceedings of CFM’s second nordic conference: Facilities Management Research and Practice. Does FM contribute to happiness in the Nordic Countries.
- (2015) The Users Impact on Buildings’ Sustainability – A Qualitative Approach. People make facilities management - Proceedings of the European Facility Management Conference EFMC 2015.
- (2019) Green Leasing A Study of the Barriers and Drivers for Green Leased Offices in Norway. 2019. ISBN 978 82 326 3899 4.