Background and activities
Architect NTH, 1984. Dr. ing., 1996. Research field: Sustainable housing and the interplay between housing architecture, values and use.
Eli Støa has been a professor in Housing at the Faculty of Architecture and Fine Arts since 2006. She was educated as an architect from NTH in 1984 and received her dr.ing degree the same place in 1996 with the thesis “Dwellings and Culture. Norwegian one-family housing areas from the 1980s viewed in the light of the inhabitants’ notions of the ideal home”. The following 10 years she worked as a researcher at SINTEF and was involved in projects related to housing qualities and –ideals for various residential groups and social, cultural and architectural conditions for sustainable housing development.
Eli teaches housing design both on bachelor and master level. She is also supervisor for PhD candidates and was until January 2020 head of the faculty’s PhD board. She is cuurently project leader of BOPILOT, an innovation project in public sector financed by the Norwegian Research Council (2018-2022). See: https://www.ntnu.no/web/ad/forskning/bopilot
Recently she has led interdisciplinary research projects on he effect of the physical environment on quality of life and integration of asylum seekers and refugees (2012-2017) and on the planning process of a carbon neutral neighbourhood at Brøset in Trondheim (2009-2014). She spent the academic year 2010/2011 as a visiting researcher at the School of Architecture and Built Environment at the University of Westminster in London, and 2015/2016 as a guest professor at KULeuven in Belgium, Faculty of Architecture / Sint Lucas in Brussels.
- AAR4510 - Housing Design
- AAR4814 - Housing Design Knowledge
- AAR4431 - Architecture and Architectural Design Knowledge 1
- AAR8320 - Introduction to Research Methods and Theories of Science for PhD-candidates
- AAR4416 - Architecture 3 Housing
- AAR4812 - Housing theory
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) På vei mot en sosialt bærekraftig tredje boligsektor: Medvirkning og sosial miks i to pilotprosjekter i Boligstiftelsen i Trondheim. Tidsskrift for boligforskning. vol. 5 (1).
- (2017) Framing Outsidedness – Aspects of Housing Quality in Decentralized Reception Centres for Asylum Seekers in Norway. Housing, Theory and Society. vol. 34 (1).
- (2016) Bokvalitet som asylpolitikk. Arkitektur N. vol. 98 (2).
- (2016) Between indoor and outdoor: Norwegian perceptions of well-being in energy-efficient housing. Journal of Architectural and Planning Research. vol. 33 (4).
- (2013) Daylight, view and fresh air in energy-efficient housing. Nordisk arkitekturforskning. vol. 25 (1).
- (2011) Leisure and sustainable development in Norway: part of the solution and the problem. Leisure Studies. vol. 30 (4).
- (2011) Towards sustainable residential practices - can architecture make a change?. RIL. Suomen Rakennusinsinöörien Liitto.
- (2009) “Here you get a little extra push”:The meaning of architectural quality in housing for formerly homeless – a case study of Veiskillet in Trondheim, Norway. Nordisk arkitekturforskning.
- (2009) "Fin kåk" - for hvem?. Arkitektur N. vol. 91 (2).
- (2008) Urban cottages – rural homes? Challenges towards a more sustainable residential culture and the role of architecture. Nordisk arkitekturforskning. vol. 20 (3).
- (2021) ARCH19 June 12–13, 2019 – Trondheim, Norway. Proceedings from the 4th Conference on Architecture Research Care & Health. SINTEF akademisk forlag. 2021. ISBN 978-82-536-1718-3. SINTEF proceedings (8).
- (2016) Ways of Residing in Transformation – Interdisciplinary Perspectives. Ashgate. 2016. ISBN 9781472426079.
- (2016) Bokvalitet i asylmottak - En veileder. 2016. ISBN 978-82-7551-118-6.
- (2014) Utopia Revisited. Towards a Carbon-Neutral Neighborhood at Brøset. Fagbokforlaget. 2014. ISBN 978-82-450-1725-0.
- (2011) PHD PROJECTS 2010 - 2011 Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art, NTNU. 2011. ISBN 9788275510639.
- (2007) Endelig hjemme. Utforming av boliger for vanskeligstilte. 2007. ISBN 978-82-90122-28-2.
- (1998) Fra årestue til smarthus. 1998. ISBN 82-7532-010-0.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Architectural Research Between Arts, Technology, and Practice. A Position Paper Sketch on Practice-based/ Design-driven Research at the NTNU. COMPARISON Conference for Artistic and Architectural Research. Book of Proceedings - MILANO.
- (2021) ‘After Belonging’: A study of proposals for architectural interventions for arrival of refugees in Oslo, Norway. Architectural Anthropology: Exploring Lived Space.
- (2020) Anthropology and Architecture: Motives and Ethics in Creating Knowledge. Collaborations - Anthropology in a Neoliberal Age.