Background and activities
I am interested in systematics and biogeography of Chironomidae (Diptera). My research is at the moment focused on monitoring of freshwater ecosystems, particularly with regard to Chironomidae. I am also interested in taxonomy and systematics of chironomids, especially of the tribe Tanytarsini and I am currently involved in DNA barcoding projects on non-biting midges, biting midges and other aquatic arthropods.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) DNA barcode data reveal biogeographic trends in Arctic non-biting midges. Genome. vol. 61 (11).
- (2018) Exploring species boundaries with multiple genetic loci using empirical data from non-biting midges. Zoologica Scripta. vol. 47 (3).
- (2018) Molecular phylogeny and temporal diversification of Tanytarsus van der Wulp (Diptera: Chironomidae) support generic synonymies, a new classification and centre of origin. Systematic Entomology. vol. 43 (4).
- (2017) Barcoding Norwegian water bears (Tardigrada). Genome. vol. 60 (11).
- (2017) DNA barcoding for species identification of insect skins: A test on Chironomidae (Diptera) pupal exuviae. Journal of Insect Science. vol. 17 (6, 111).
- (2017) DNA barcodes and morphology reveal unrecognized species in Chironomidae (Diptera). Insect Systematics & Evolution.
- (2017) Six species in one: evidence of cryptic speciation in the Hygrobates fluviatilis complex (Acariformes, Hydrachnidia, Hygrobatidae). Systematic and Applied Acarology. vol. 22 (9).
- (2017) DNA barcoding of Arctic Chironomidae (Diptera). Genome. vol. 60 (11).
- (2016) New combinations of Afrotropical Chironomini (Diptera: Chironomidae). Chironomus Journal of Chironomidae Research.
- (2016) Trace DNA from insect skins: a comparison of five extraction protocols and direct PCR on chironomid pupal exuviae. Molecular Ecology Resources. vol. 16 (1).
- (2015) PESI - a taxonomic backbone for Europe. Biodiversity Data Journal. vol. 3.
- (2015) Exploring genetic divergence in a species-rich insect genus using 2790 DNA barcodes. PLoS ONE. vol. 10:e0138993 (9).
- (2015) A review of Norwegian Gymnometriocnemus (Diptera, Chironomidae) including the description of two new species and a new name for Gymnometriocnemus volitans (Goetghebuer) sensu Brundin. Zookeys. vol. 508.
- (2014) The terrestrial and freshwater invertebrate biodiversity of the archipelagoes of the Barents Sea, Svalbard, Franz Josef Land and Novaya Zemlya. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. vol. 68.
- (2014) When DNA barcoding and morphology mesh: Ceratopogonidae diversity in Finnmark, Norway. Zookeys.
- (2013) Molecular and morphological methods reveal cryptic diversity and three new species of Nearctic Micropsectra (Diptera:Chironomidae). Freshwater Science. vol. 32 (3).
- (2013) The invertebrate fauna of anthropogenic soils in the High-Arctic settlement of Barentsburg, Svalbard. Polar Research. vol. 32.
- (2013) How reliable are Malaise traps for biomonitoring? - A bivariate species abundance model evaluation using alpine Chironomidae (Diptera). Insect Conservation and Diversity. vol. 6 (5).
- (2012) Introduction of invertebrates into the High Arctic via imported soils: the case of Barentsburg in the Svalbard. Biological Invasions. vol. 15 (1).
- (2012) Insects inhabiting freshwater and humid habitats in Finnmark, northern Norway. Norwegian Journal of Entomology. vol. 59 (2).