Background and activities
Emil André Røyrvik is an anthropologist with strong interdisciplinary inclinations. Based in cultural anthropology his research focuses on ethnography and theorizing in the context of political economy, professional knowledge work, organizational, managerial and expert cultures, and contemporary economic and cultural globalization. Some of his recent publications include the co-edited anthology Det Skapende Mennesket. Antropologiske Dialoger om Tegn, Ting og Tolkning (2015), and the journal article ”Brave new world? The global financial crisis’ impact on Scandinavian banking’s sales rhetoric and practices” (2015) with Ulla Forseth and Stewart R. Clegg. His monograph The Allure of Capitalism: An Ethnography of Management and the Global Economy in Crisis (published with Berghahn Books) won SINTEF’s award for excellence in research 2011.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Brave New World? The global financial crisis’ impact on Scandinavian banking’s sales rhetoric and practices. Scandinavian Journal of Management. vol. 31 (4).
- (2014) Economy of Words. Communicative Imperatives in Central Banks, by Douglas R. Holmes. American Ethnologist. vol. 41 (4).
- (2013) "Incarnation Inc. Managing Corporate Values.". Journal of business anthropology. vol. 2 (1).
- (2012) Real Virtuality: Power and Simulation in the Age of Neoliberal Crisis. Culture Unbound. Journal of Current Cultural Research. vol. 4 (3).
- (2005) Practical Tool Use in a Software Consulting Company. Communications of the ACM. vol. December.
- (2004) Integrative Visualisation and Knowledge Enabled Value Creation: An activity-based approach to intellectual capital. Journal of Intellectual Capital. vol. 5 (4).
- (2004) Transformative visualisation and emergent capabilities: experiences and insights gained from an activity-based view of intellectual capital. International Journal of Learning and Intellectual Capital. vol. 1 (3).
- (2003) Knowledge Hyperstories and Context Sensitive Knowledge Enabling: The Use of Situated Support Systems in Distributed Organisational Environments. International Journal of Internet and Enterprise Management. vol. Vol. 1. (No. 4.).
- (2015) Det skapende mennesket : Antropologiske dialoger om tegn, ting og tolkning. Scandinavian Academic Press. 2015. ISBN 9788230401736.
- (2011) The Allure of Capitalism — An Ethnography of Management and the Global Economy in Crisis. Berghahn Books. 2011. ISBN 978-0-85745-185-9.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Forord. Det skapende mennesket : Antropologiske dialoger om tegn, ting og tolkning.
- (2015) Det skapende mennesket. Det skapende mennesket : Antropologiske dialoger om tegn, ting og tolkning.
- (2013) "Oblique Ethnography: Engaging collaborative complicity among globalised corporate managers". Organisational Anthropology. Doing Ethnography in and among Complex Organisations.
- (2012) Ethnography of globalization. Encyclopedia of Globalization.
- (2009) Putting Agile Teamwork to the Test – An Preliminary Instrument for Empirically Assessing and Improving Agile Software Development. Agile Processes in Software Engineering and Extreme Programming : 10th International Conference : XP2009, Pula, Italy, May 25-29 2009.
- (2008) Lettmetall og ledelse i Midtens rike. Globalisering gjennom et århundre, Norsk aluminiumsindustri 1908-2008.
- (2004) Knowledge Hyperstories and Context-Sensitive Knowledge Enabling. Living Knowledge. The dynamics of profession service work.
- (2004) Dancing the Dilemmas: the Mythological Enabling of Collective Action. Living knowledge. The dynamics of professional service work.
- (2004) Knowledge Hyperstories: The Use of ICT Enhanced Storytelling in Organizations. Living knowledge. The dynamics of professional service work.
- (2004) Dancing the Dilemmas: the 'Mythological' Enabling of Collective Action. Living Knowledge. The dynamics of profession service work.