Background and activities
Vice Dean Innovation at the Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Innovation and co-operation with industry (inkluding co-ordinating Samarbeidsforum)
- Postgraduate and further education
- Student recruitement
In the scientific part of my job, I am teaching and doing research in my area of expertise as Associate professor at Institute of biotechnology and food science. My reseach area is bioeconomy, biotechnology, food science and particularly working towards higher utilisation of our marine food resources. Synergies between students and industry is an important strategy in most of the projects I am involved in.
I have 17 years of experience in research, development and innovation within the research institute sector, food and biotechnology industry before I joined academia. A significant part of my scientific activity is heavily motivated by a wish for better utilisation of our globale food resourses. Marine lipids have been a read thread in my professional career. My main technological expertise is food science with a deeper understanding of technologies such as refinement and purification of oils, enzymatic processing of oils and proteins, emulsification, fish processing and lipid oxidation. I hold a PhD in biotechnology (NTNU) of omega-3 fatty acids.
My years of industry experience together with academia and research institute has given me a holistic overview of challenges and possibilities within the area food and health. Working cross-sectional with particularly cardioprotective (in industry) has increased my knowledge in consumers insight, innovation processes and marketing. The innovation process used in the food industry is also sucessfully applied for student recruitment. My work in industry has also given me leadership traning.
Currently member of the scientific advisory board for JPI A healthy diet for a healthy life and board member in innovative companies and a national profession board.
- TMMT5001 Framework in the food industry (new subject in a new master program)
- TMMT4004 Applied microbiology and biotechnology (teaching applied biotechnology/enzymes and rest raw materials).
- Supervising student thesises at all levels and supervising students in work practises
Vice dean Education, NTNU
Vice dean R&D, Faculty of Technology
Head of Food Technology Department
Industry and reseach institute (17 years):
Senior reseacher, Mills DA (food industry - working mainly with cardioprotective food)
Manager development O3C Nutraceuticals (Join venture Aker Biomarine and GC Rieber)
Researcher, SINTEF Fisheries and aquaculture
Laboratory manager (and manager QA), GC Rieber Oil
Institutt for matteknologi (IMAT) scorer høyest i landet på Studiebarometeret! (Innsida, Fakultet for Teknolgi)
Mattnyttig utdanning med høy trivselsfaktor (kronikk i lokalavisa Hitra Frøya)
Norges beste studiemiljø i følge studentene selv (Rådgivernytt)
PhD, "Lipids from residual rest raw materials - quality assessment by advanced analytical methods" Biotechnology (NTNU)
Master, Food Science (NMBU)
Bachelor, Food technologt (HiST)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2014) Inhibitory effects of kiwifruit extract on human platelet aggregation and plasma angiotensin-converting enzyme activity. Platelets. vol. 25 (8).
- (2012) Effects of similar intakes of marine n-3 fatty acids from enriched food products and fish oil on cardiovascular risk markers in healthy human subjects. British Journal of Nutrition. vol. 107 (9).
- (2009) Functional, bioactive and antioxidative properties of hydrolysates obtained from cod (Gadus morhua) backbones. Process Biochemistry. vol. 44 (6).
- (2008) Solid phase extraction as a tool to separate lipid classes and study deterioration of marine lipids. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 17 (1).
- (2007) High resolution NMR for studying lipid hydrolysis and esterification in cod (Gadus morhua) gonads. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. vol. 147.
- (2006) By-products from gadiform species as raw material for production of marine lipids as ingredients in food or feed. Process Biochemistry. vol. 41.
- (2006) Geographical and seasonal differences in lipid composition and relative weight of by-products from gadiform species. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. vol. 19.
- (2006) Multi-component analysis of marine lipids in fish gonads with emphasis on phospholipids using high resolution NMR spectroscopy. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. vol. 144 (1).
- (2005) Composition of fatty acids and lipid classes in bulk products generated during enzymic hydrolysis of cod (Gadus morhua) by-products. Process Biochemistry. vol. 40.
- (2005) Characteristics of protein fractions generated from hydrolysed cod (Gadus morhua) by-products. Process Biochemistry. vol. 40.
- (2004) Yield and composition of different fractions obtained after enzymatic hydrolysis of cod (Gadus morhua) by-products. Process Biochemistry. vol. 40 (3-4).
- (2006) Lipids from residual fish raw materials. Quality assessment by advanced analytical methods. 2006. ISBN 82-471-7380-8.