Background and activities
I am Associate professor at the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science. My research areas are bioeconomy, biotechnology, and food science with a particular focus on better utilization of marine food resources. In addition to my experience in academia I have 17 years of experience from research, development and innovation within the research institute sector and food and biotechnology industry.
A significant part of my scientific activity is heavily motivated by a wish for better utilisation of our global food resources. Marine lipids have been a read thread in my professional career. My main technological expertise is food science with a deeper understanding of technologies such as refinement and purification of oils, enzymatic processing of oils and proteins, emulsification, fish processing and lipid oxidation. I hold a PhD in biotechnology (NTNU) of omega-3 fatty acids.
My years of industry experience together with academia and research institute sector has given me a holistic overview of challenges and possibilities within the area food and health. Working cross-sectional with particularly cardioprotective food products in industry has increased my knowledge of consumers insight, innovation processes and marketing. I have also positive experiences with applying the innovation process used in the food industry for student recruitment in academia. A goal in both my teaching and scientific activities is the creating of meeting points between students and industry.
I am currently vice-president of the Management Board of the European Food Forum, member of the Scientific Advisory Board for JPI A healthy diet for a healthy life and board member in innovative companies and a national profession board.
- TMMT5001 Framework in the food industry (master program)
- TMMT4004 Applied microbiology and biotechnology (teaching applied biotechnology/enzymes and rest raw materials)
- Supervising student thesises at all levels and supervising students on internship in the food sector.
- Supervision of bachelor, master and PhDs.
NTNU Food Forum - academic head
OMEGA fish Oil MicroEncapsulation Generating fortified food products for improved humAn health (HAVBRUK 2020 - 2024)
Recruitment of students
New master in food and technology
Vice Dean Innovation, NTNU
Vice Dean Education, NTNU
Vice Dean R&D, Faculty of Technology
Head of Food Technology Department
Industry and reseach institute (17 years):
Senior reseacher, Mills DA (food industry - working mainly with cardioprotective food)
Manager development O3C Nutraceuticals (Join venture Aker Biomarine and GC Rieber)
Researcher, SINTEF Fisheries and aquaculture
Laboratory manager (and manager QA), GC Rieber Oil
Institutt for matteknologi (IMAT) scorer høyest i landet på Studiebarometeret! (Innsida, Fakultet for Teknolgi)
Mattnyttig utdanning med høy trivselsfaktor (kronikk i lokalavisa Hitra Frøya)
Norges beste studiemiljø i følge studentene selv (Rådgivernytt)
PhD, "Lipids from residual rest raw materials - quality assessment by advanced analytical methods" Biotechnology (NTNU)
Master, Food Science (NMBU)
Bachelor, Food technologt (HiST)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Ultrafiltration of Saithe (Pollachius virens) Protein Hydrolysates and Its Effect on Antioxidative Activity. Catalysts. vol. 11 (9).
- (2021) Effect of Different Drying Methods on the Nutritional Value of Hibiscus sabdariffa Calyces as Revealed by NMR Metabolomics. Molecules. vol. 26 (6).
- (2020) The value chain of the white fish industry in Norway: History, current status and possibilities for improvement – A review. Regional Studies in Marine Science. vol. 36.
- (2014) Inhibitory effects of kiwifruit extract on human platelet aggregation and plasma angiotensin-converting enzyme activity. Platelets. vol. 25 (8).
- (2012) Effects of similar intakes of marine n-3 fatty acids from enriched food products and fish oil on cardiovascular risk markers in healthy human subjects. British Journal of Nutrition. vol. 107 (9).
- (2009) Functional, bioactive and antioxidative properties of hydrolysates obtained from cod (Gadus morhua) backbones. Process Biochemistry. vol. 44 (6).
- (2008) Solid phase extraction as a tool to separate lipid classes and study deterioration of marine lipids. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology. vol. 17 (1).
- (2007) High resolution NMR for studying lipid hydrolysis and esterification in cod (Gadus morhua) gonads. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. vol. 147.
- (2006) By-products from gadiform species as raw material for production of marine lipids as ingredients in food or feed. Process Biochemistry. vol. 41.
- (2006) Geographical and seasonal differences in lipid composition and relative weight of by-products from gadiform species. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis. vol. 19.
- (2006) Multi-component analysis of marine lipids in fish gonads with emphasis on phospholipids using high resolution NMR spectroscopy. Chemistry and Physics of Lipids. vol. 144 (1).
- (2005) Composition of fatty acids and lipid classes in bulk products generated during enzymic hydrolysis of cod (Gadus morhua) by-products. Process Biochemistry. vol. 40.
- (2005) Characteristics of protein fractions generated from hydrolysed cod (Gadus morhua) by-products. Process Biochemistry. vol. 40.
- (2004) Yield and composition of different fractions obtained after enzymatic hydrolysis of cod (Gadus morhua) by-products. Process Biochemistry. vol. 40 (3-4).
- (2020) Position Paper on the European Commission`s Farm to Fork Strategy 2020. 2020.
- (2020) Increased Utilisation and Value Creation from white Fish Rest Raw Materials. Abstracts - The Third Symposium Sustainable technologies for food processing and preservation. 2020.
- (2019) STRATEGIC RESEARCH AGENDA 3ed Joint Programming Initiative “A Healthy Diet for a Healthy Life” 2019 Strategic Research Agenda - Joint Programming Initiative a Healthy Diet for a Healthy Life is apublication of the Joint Programming Initiative a Healthy Diet for a Healthy Life and has receivedinput from the Coordination and Support Action JPI HDHL 2.0, a project funded by Horizon 2020 as no. 696300.www.healthydietforhealthylife.eu. 2019.
- (2006) Lipids from residual fish raw materials. Quality assessment by advanced analytical methods. 2006. ISBN 82-471-7380-8.