Finn Lillelund Aachmann
Background and activities
NMR spectrocopy on biological macromolecules
My main research interest is NMR-spectroscopy, especially NMR on biological macromolecules
We are currently working with enzymes active on polysaccharides like cellulose, chitin and alginate. Furthermore, we are also applying enzymes for extracting and tailoring polysaccharides from seaweed to produce new biomaterials. Our approach is to characterize an enzyme's biochemistry and biophysics using NMR and a wide range of experimental techniques. Moreover, we aim to apply enzymes to modify the substrates they are active on and thus create new biomaterials with tailored properties.
Some of the enzymes we are working with are lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases (LPMOs), carbohydrate-binding modules (CBMs), and alginate modifying enzymes. Moreover, we're studying algal polysaccharides such as alginate, laminarin and fucoidan.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Preparation, Physico-Chemical Characterization and Antibacterial Properties of Chitosan and Chitosan–Nisin Membranes. Studia Universitatis Babeş-Bolyai Chemia.. vol. 67 (1).
- (2022) Structural elucidation of the fucose containing polysaccharide of Paenibacillus polymyxa DSM 365. Carbohydrate Polymers. vol. 278.
- (2021) Alginate Degradation: Insights Obtained through Characterization of a Thermophilic Exolytic Alginate Lyase. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 87 (6).
- (2021) Mechanistic Basis for Understanding the Dual Activities of the Bifunctional Azotobacter vinelandii Mannuronan C-5-Epimerase and Alginate Lyase AlgE7. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. vol. 88 (3).
- (2021) Insights into the roles of charged residues in substrate binding and mode of action of mannuronan C-5 epimerase AlgE4. Glycobiology. vol. 31 (12).
- (2021) Structure-function analysis of a new PL17 oligoalginate lyase from the marine bacterium Zobellia galactanivorans DsijT. Glycobiology. vol. 31 (10).
- (2021) RPA2 winged-helix domain facilitates UNG-mediated removal of uracil from ssDNA; implications for repair of mutagenic uracil at the replication fork. Nucleic Acids Research (NAR). vol. 49 (7).
- (2021) Alginate gels crosslinked with chitosan oligomers - a systematic investigation into alginate block structure and chitosan oligomer interaction. RSC Advances. vol. 11 (23).
- (2021) Structural and functional variation of chitin-binding domains of a lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase from Cellvibrio japonicus. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 297 (4).
- (2021) Impact of Alginate Mannuronic-Guluronic Acid Contents and pH on Protein Binding Capacity and Complex Size. Biomacromolecules. vol. 22 (2).
- (2021) Protective Face Mask Filter Capable of Inactivating SARS-CoV-2, and Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Polymers. vol. 13.
- (2021) Alginate hydrogels functionalized with β-cyclodextrin as a local paclitaxel delivery system. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A. vol. 109 (12).
- (2021) Enhancement of antimicrobial activity of alginate films with a low amount of carbon nanofibers (0.1% w/w). Applied Sciences. vol. 11 (5).
- (2021) Alginate-based diblock polymers: preparation, characterization and Ca-induced self-assembly. Polymer Chemistry. vol. 12 (38).
- (2021) Carbohydr Polym Special Issue Invited contribution: Click chemistry for block polysaccharides with dihydrazide and dioxyamine linkers - A review. Carbohydrate Polymers.
- (2021) The impact of reductants on the catalytic efficiency of a lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase and the special role of dehydroascorbic acid. FEBS Letters.
- (2020) 1H, 13C, 15N resonance assignment of the apo form of the small, chitin-active lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase JdLPMO10Afrom Jonesia denitrificans. Biomolecular NMR Assignments. vol. 15.
- (2020) Mechanistic basis of substrate–O2 coupling within a chitin-active lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase: An integrated NMR/EPR study. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 117 (32).
- (2020) Functional characterization of three Azotobacter chroococcum alginate-modifying enzymes related to the Azotobacter vinelandii AlgE mannuronan C-5-epimerase family. Scientific Reports. vol. 10.
- (2020) Class IV lasso peptides synergistically induce proliferation of cancer cells and sensitize them to doxorubicin. iScience. vol. 23 (12).