Finn Lillelund Aachmann
Background and activities
NMR spectrocopy on biological macromolecules
My main research interest is NMR-spectroscopy, especially NMR on biological macromolecules
We are currently working with enzymes active on polysaccharides like cellulose, chitin and alginate. Furthermore, we are also applying enzymes for extracting and tailoring polysaccharides from seaweed to produce new biomaterials. Our approach is to characterize an enzyme's biochemistry and biophysics using NMR and a wide range of experimental techniques. Moreover, we aim to apply enzymes to modify the substrates they are active on and thus create new biomaterials with tailored properties.
Some of the enzymes we are working with are lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases (LPMOs), carbohydrate-binding modules (CBMs), and alginate modifying enzymes. Moreover, we're studying algal polysaccharides such as alginate, laminarin and fucoidan.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Insights into alginate degradation through the characterization of a thermophilic exolytic alginate lyase. Applied and Environmental Microbiology.
- (2021) RPA2 winged-helix domain facilitates UNG-mediated removal of uracil from ssDNA; implications for repair of mutagenic uracil at the replication fork. Nucleic Acids Research (NAR). vol. 49 (7).
- (2021) Alginate gels crosslinked with chitosan oligomers – a systematic investigation into alginate block structure and chitosan oligomer interaction. RSC Advances. vol. 11 (23).
- (2021) Structural and functional variation of chitin-binding domains of a lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase from Cellvibrio japonicus. Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- (2021) Impact of Alginate Mannuronic-Guluronic Acid Contents and pH on Protein Binding Capacity and Complex Size. Biomacromolecules. vol. 22 (2).
- (2021) Protective Face Mask Filter Capable of Inactivating SARS-CoV-2, and Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis. Polymers. vol. 13 (2).
- (2021) Alginate hydrogels functionalized with β-cyclodextrin as a local paclitaxel delivery system. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A.
- (2020) 1H, 13C, 15N resonance assignment of the apo form of the small, chitin-active lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase JdLPMO10Afrom Jonesia denitrificans. Biomolecular NMR Assignments. vol. 15.
- (2020) Mechanistic basis of substrate–O2 coupling within a chitin-active lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase: An integrated NMR/EPR study. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 117 (32).
- (2020) Functional characterization of three Azotobacter chroococcum alginate-modifying enzymes related to the Azotobacter vinelandii AlgE mannuronan C-5-epimerase family. Scientific Reports. vol. 10.
- (2020) Class IV lasso peptides synergistically induce proliferation of cancer cells and sensitize them to doxorubicin. iScience. vol. 23 (12).
- (2020) A pair of esterases from a commensal gut bacterium remove acetylations from all positions on complex β-mannans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 117 (13).
- (2020) 2,5-Anhydro-d-Mannose End-Functionalized Chitin Oligomers Activated by Dioxyamines or Dihydrazides as Precursors of Diblock Oligosaccharides. Biomacromolecules. vol. 21 (7).
- (2020) Activation of enzymatically produced chitooligosaccharides by dioxyamines and dihydrazides. Carbohydrate Polymers. vol. 232.
- (2020) Ion-exchange purification and structural characterization of five sulfated fucoidans from brown algae. Glycobiology.
- (2020) Identification of a Pivotal Residue for Determining the Block Structure-Forming Properties of Alginate C-5 Epimerases. ACS Omega. vol. 5 (8).
- (2020) Bi-functional alginate oligosaccharide–polymyxin conjugates for improved treatment of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacterial infections. Pharmaceutics. vol. 12 (11).
- (2020) Synthesis of glycoconjugates utilizing the regioselectivity of a lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase. Scientific Reports.
- (2019) Biosynthesis and Function of Long Guluronic Acid-Blocks in Alginate Produced by Azotobacter vinelandii. Biomacromolecules. vol. 20 (4).
- (2019) Mechanical Properties of Ca-Saturated Hydrogels with Functionalized Alginate. Gels. vol. 5 (2).