Background and activities
NMR spectrocopy on biological macromolecules
My main research interest is NMR-spectroscopy, especially NMR on biological macromolecules.
Alginate is a biological copolymer consisting of two building blocks: mannuronic acid (M) and guluronic acid (G). The properties of the polymer depend largely on the relative composition and the distribution of these two subunits. Algae and some bacteria have devised a way to turn M into G by enzymatic epimerization at C5. A family of modular type enzymes (mannuronan C5-epimerases) has identified in Azotobacter vinelandii, and these enzymes are capable of converting M to G on polymer level. The deduced epimerase sequences consist of two types of structural modules, designated A (~385 amino acids each, with 1 or 2 copies) and R (~155 amino acids each, with one to seven copies). The structure of the A-module has been solved by crystallography (PDB code: 2PYG, 2PYH). We have solved the structure of the R-module by NMR ( PDB code: 2AGM). This work is in collaboration with Reinhard Wimmer, Aalborg University, Denmark and Hideo Iwai, University of Helsinki, Finland.
Selenium and selenoproteins is known to be essential for many life forms. Selenoprotein are in general characterized as redox proteins but still their specific function and structure are largely unknown. We have determined the structure of selenoproteinW (SelW) by NMR ( PDB code: 2NPB). Furthermore, we were able to prove that SelW interact with 14-3-3 proteins. Currently, we are working on the structure and reaction mechanism of selenocystinine containing methionine-r-sulfoxide reductase (MsrB1) ( PDB code: 2KAO) and cystinine counter part MsrB2.
This work is in collaboration with Alexander Dikiy, NTNU.
Cyclodextrins and their inclusion complexes
Cyclodextrins are circulated glycosyl units with the ability to make inclusion complexes with a large variety of hydrophobic molecules. Cyclodextrins have broad application in many industrial purposes, e.g. as separation material, and as additives in food and pharmaceuticals. We try to find out more about the geometry of inclusion complexes and about the rules governing their formation. Furthermore, my main focus is the application of cyclodextrin in the field of molecular genetics and protein expression and purification.
Complex and modified sugar molecules
NOBIPOLs activity in tailoring, modification and finding new sugar molecules demand both quantitative and qualitative characterisation. A unique tool for this kind of work is NMR spectroscopy by giving atomic level structurally information and have high dynamic in its detection range.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Biosynthesis and Function of Long Guluronic Acid-Blocks in Alginate Produced by Azotobacter vinelandii. Biomacromolecules. vol. 20 (4).
- (2019) Mechanical Properties of Ca-Saturated Hydrogels with Functionalized Alginate. Gels. vol. 5 (2).
- (2019) Polysaccharide degradation by lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases. Current opinion in structural biology. vol. 59.
- (2019) The edible mushroom Albatrellus ovinus contains a α-L-fuco-α-D-galactan, α-D-glucan, a branched (1→6)-β-D-glucan and a branched (1→3)-β-D-glucan. Carbohydrate Research. vol. 471.
- (2019) Production, Characterization, and Application of an Alginate Lyase, AMOR_PL7A, from Hot Vents in the Arctic Mid-Ocean Ridge. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. vol. 67 (10).
- (2018) The carbohydrate-binding module and linker of a modular lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase promote localized cellulose oxidation. Journal of Biological Chemistry. vol. 293 (34).
- (2018) Mode of action and specificity of a chitinase from unicellular microalgae, Euglena gracilis. Plant Molecular Biology. vol. 97 (6).
- (2018) Resonance assignments for the apo-form of the cellulose-active lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase TaLPMO9A. Biomolecular NMR Assignments. vol. 12 (2).
- (2018) Structural Characterization of Fucoidan from Laminaria hyperborea: Assessment of Coagulation and Inflammatory Properties and Their Structure−Function Relationship. ACS Applied Bio Materials.
- (2018) Differential bacterial capture and transport preferences facilitate co-growth on dietary xylan in the human gut. Nature Microbiology. vol. 3 (5).
- (2018) 1H, 13C and 15N backbone and side-chain assignment of a carbohydrate binding module from a xylanase from Roseburia intestinalis. Biomolecular NMR Assignments.
- (2018) Methylation of the N-terminal histidine protects a lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase from auto-oxidative inactivation. Protein Science. vol. 27 (9).
- (2018) Genome Mining of Streptomyces sp. YIM 130001 Isolated From Lichen Affords New Thiopeptide Antibiotic. Frontiers in Microbiology. vol. 9 (3139).
- (2018) Overall size of mannuronan C5-Epimerases influences their ability to epimerize modified alginates and alginate gels. Carbohydrate Polymers. vol. 180.
- (2018) Preparation of 4-deoxy-L-erythro-5-hexoseulose uronic acid (DEH) and guluronic acid-rich alginate using a unique exo-alginate lyase from Thalassotalea crassostreae. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. vol. 66.
- (2018) A colorimetric assay to rapidly determine the activities of lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases. Biotechnology for Biofuels. vol. 11 (215).
- (2018) Analytical Tools for Characterizing Cellulose-Active Lytic Polysaccharide Monooxygenases (LPMOs). Methods in molecular biology. vol. 1796.
- (2017) Backbone 1H, 13C and 15N chemical shift assignment of full-length human uracil DNA glycosylase UNG2. Biomolecular NMR Assignments. vol. 12 (1).
- (2017) Chemical shift assignments for the apo-form of the catalytic domain, the linker region, and the carbohydrate-binding domain of the cellulose-active lytic polysaccharide monooxygenase ScLPMO10C. Biomolecular NMR Assignments. vol. 11 (2).
- (2017) A novel expression system for lytic polysaccharide monooxygenases. Carbohydrate Research. vol. 448.