Geir Olav Dyrkolbotn
Background and activities
Maj/Dr. Geir Olav Dyrkolbotn is an officer in the Norwegian Armed Forces at the Norwegian Defence Cyber Academy (NDCA) and an associate professor at Center for Cyber and Information Security (CCIS) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He is currently head of the NTNU Malware Lab and the research group for cyber defence at CCIS. Geir Olav holds a PhD in information security from Gjøvik University College (HiG) and a MSc in computer science from the NTNU. His career includes more than 25 years in the Norwegian Armed Forces, where he holds the rank of Major. His career has focused on operation, maintenance and security in tactical communication systems and the last 15 years on defensive cyber operations, computer network defense and operational security. His research interest include cyber defense, reverse engineering and malware analysis, side-channel attacks and machine learning.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Detection of Running Malware Before it Becomes Malicious. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 12231.
- (2019) Exploiting Vendor-Defined Messages in the USB Power Delivery Protocol. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 569.
- (2019) Correlating High- and Low-Level Features: Increased Understanding of Malware Classification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11689.
- (2019) Disk Cluster Allocation Behavior in Windows and NTFS. Journal on spesial topics in mobile networks and applications.
- (2019) Using NTFS cluster allocation behavior to find the location of user data. Digital Investigation. The International Journal of Digital Forensics and Incident Response. vol. 29.
- (2019) Creating a map of user data in NTFS to improve file carving. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology. vol. 569.
- (2018) Forensics Acquisition — Analysis and Circumvention of Samsung Secure Boot enforced Common Criteria Mode. Digital Investigation. The International Journal of Digital Forensics and Incident Response. vol. 24.
- (2018) Multinomial malware classification via low-level features. Digital Investigation. The International Journal of Digital Forensics and Incident Response. vol. 26.
- (2017) Supporting the Human in Cyber Defence. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 10683.
- (2012) Layout Dependent Phenomena A New Side-channel Power Model. Journal of Computers. vol. 7 (4).
- (2011) Security Implications of Crosstalk in Switching CMOS Gates. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 6531.
Part of book/report
- (2010) Non-Invasive Reverse Engineering of the Relative Position of Bus Wires. Norwegian Information Security Conference = Norsk Informasjonssikkerhetskonferanse : NISK 2010 . Gjøvik University College, Gjøvik, 23-24 November 2010.
- (2009) Electromagnetic Side Channel: A Comparison of Multi-Class Feature Selection Methods. SPPRA 2009, Proceeding of Signal Processing, Pattern Recognition and Applications.
- (2009) Modified Template Attack: Detecting Address Bus Signals of Equal Hamming Weight. Norsk informasjonssikkerhetskonferanse : NISK 2:2009 : NTNU, Trondheim 24.-25. november 2009.
- (2007) Analysis of the Wireless Covert Channel Attack Carrier Frequency Selection. Norsk informatikkonferanse 2007.
- (2006) A wireless covert channel on smart cards. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2011) Reverse Engineering Microprocessor Content Using Electromagnetic Radiation. 2011. ISBN 978-82-91313-73-3. Doctoral Dissertations at Gjøvik University College (2/2011).