Background and activities
Gereon Quick is a professor of mathematics at the Department of Mathematical Sciences and currently head of the Geometry & Topology group.
He has an MSc in Mathematics from University of Cambridge, UK, a DEA in Mathematics from Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris, France. He received his PhD and Habilitation in Mathematics from Universität Münster, Germany. As a postdoc he continued his research in Münster, at LMU München and at Harvard University in the US.
Main research interests
Homotopy theory and its applications in algebraic and arithmetic geometry. In particular, algebraic and étale cobordism; chromatic, profinite, étale and motivic homotopy theory; Deligne cohomology theories; algebraic cycles; anabelian geometry; profinite Teichmüller theory; enumerative geometry.
Teaching and supervision
- Lectured courses: Calculus 1; Calculus 3; Integration, Series and Differential Equations; Quadratic Forms; Manifolds; Introduction to Topology; Algebraic Topology; Advanced Algebraic Topology; Modular Forms and Curves.
- Seminar courses: Representation Theory of Finite Groups; Zeta- und L-functions; Galois Cohomology; Local Fields; Class Field Theory; Elliptic Curves; Abelian Schemes; Étale Fundamental Group; Motivic Homotopy Theory; Elliptic Curves and Cryptography.
- Supervised 16 Master students and 12 Bachelor students; supervised one PhD-student and co-supervised another one.
- Currently the main PhD-supervisor of Knut Bjarte Haus, Eiolf Kaspersen, Therese Strand and Peter Flydal.
- 2019- Professor at NTNU
- 2015-2019 Associate Professor at NTNU
- Fall 2014 Research Fellowship at LMU München
- Spring 2014 Lecturer and Research Associate at Harvard University
- 2012-2013 Assistant Professor and Interim Full Professor at WWU Münster
- 2010-2012 Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Lecturer at Harvard University
- 2007-2010 Assistant Professor at WWU Münster
- 2005-2007 Postdoctoral Fellow at WWU Münster
- May-July 2017 Harvard University
- Feb-April 2017 Institut Mittag-Leffler Stockholm
- Aug-Sept 2013 Harvard University
- Feb-March 2010 Institute for Advanced Study Princeton
- Sept-Oct 2009 Harvard University
- Sept 2007 Tokyo University
- Feb-June 2004 Institut Henri Poincaré in Paris.
- Habilitation in Mathematics at WWU Münster, Germany.
- PhD in Mathematics from WWU Münster, Germany.
- DEA in Mathematics from Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris, France.
- MSc in Mathematics from University of Cambridge, UK.
Fellowships and grants
- since 2016: Part of the Project Motivic Hopf equations funded by the Research Council of Norway
- since 2015: Part of the DFG-Priority Program 1786 Homotopy Theory and Algebraic Geometry
- 2010-2012 Research Fellowship at Harvard University, USA
- 02-03/2010 Invited Visitor of the program A1-homotopy and its recent developments at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, USA
- 09/2007 Marie Curie Research Training Network Travel Grant for a visit at University of Tokyo, Japan
- 03-06/2004 Marie Curie-Fellowship at Institut Henri Pointcaré Paris, France
- 2000-2001 Full Scholarship of the French Government at Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris, France
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Algebraic Cycles in Generalized Cohomology Theories. Oberwolfach Reports. vol. 15 (2).
- (2018) Examples of non-algebraic classes in the Brown-Peterson tower. Mathematische Zeitschrift. vol. 293.
- (2018) Unstable splittings in Hodge filtered Brown-Peterson cohomology. Journal of Homotopy and Related Structures (JHRS). vol. 14 (2).
- (2016) Profinite and discrete G-spectra and iterated homotopy fixed points. Algebraic and Geometric Topology. vol. 16 (4).
- (2016) An Abel-Jacobi invariant for cobordant cycles. Documenta Mathematica. vol. 21.
- (2015) Hodge filtered complex bordism. Journal of Topology. vol. 8 (1).
- (2015) Existence of rational points as a homotopy limit problem. Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra. vol. 219 (8).
- (2013) Continuous homotopy fixed points for Lubin-Tate spectra. Homology, Homotopy and Applications. vol. 15 (1).
- (2013) Homotopy theory of smooth compactifications of algebraic varieties. New York journal of mathematics. vol. 19.
- (2013) Profinite G-spectra. Homology, Homotopy and Applications. vol. 15 (1).
- (2011) Preface to J.K-Theory 7. Journal of K-Theory. vol. 7 (3).
- (2011) Special Issue on motivic A1-homotopy theory. Journal of K-Theory. vol. 7 (3).
- (2011) Continuous group actions on profinite spaces. Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra. vol. 215 (5).
- (2011) Torsion algebraic cycles and étale cobordism. Advances in Mathematics. vol. 227 (2).
- (2008) Profinite Homotopy Theory. Documenta Mathematica. vol. 13.
- (2007) Stable étale realization and étale cobordism. Advances in Mathematics. vol. 214 (2).
- (2020) Topological Data Analysis. Springer Nature. 2020. ISBN 978-3-030-43407-6. Abel Symposia (15).
Part of book/report
- (2020) Preface. Topological Data Analysis.
- (2012) Some remarks on profinite completion of spaces. Galois-Teichmüller Theory and Arithmetic Geometry.