Giuseppe Pellegrini Masini
Background and activities
I am an environmental social scientist working on the H2020 SMARTEES research project, which studies through a multimethod approach, the drivers and barriers affecting the development of energy social innovations involving renewables, sustainable transportation and energy efficiency in buildings. My specific focus is on energy equality, energy justice and energy efficiency in urban areas.
Previously I was a postdoctoral fellow, and now I am an Affiliate Researcher at the Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies (Pisa, Italy), where I worked on a research project in collaboration with RSE, (Ricerca sul Sistema Energetico, Milano), on energy justice and the social aspects related with the evolution of the Italian energy system.
In 2017, I was awarded my PhD at Heriot-Watt University, (School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society), where I researched social acceptability of onshore wind farms and the co-operative model of community ownership.
In the past, I also worked as ‘Research Associate’ at the University of Glasgow and Heriot-Watt University on a nationwide British project, (TARBASE), aiming at individuating engineering and policy solutions to reduce carbon emissions from the UK building stock. Previously, I researched social engagement in wind energy at the Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development of De Montfort University.
In 2012 and 2013, I was environment executive councillor (Assessore all’ Ambiente) in the municipality of Lucca (Italy) where I coordinated the design and implementation of the environmental policy for the whole city. In that capacity, I introduced the zero-waste strategy, obtaining a 20% increase in recycled waste, and I coordinated the design of the Sustainable Energy Action Plan for the city membership of the Covenant of Mayors.
My main research interests lie broadly in energy and social research, energy policy, sustainable behaviours and environmental policies.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Delivering a timely and Just Energy Transition: which policy research priorities?. Environmental Policy and Governance. vol. 30 (6).
- (2019) Energy justice revisited: A critical review on the philosophical and political origins of equality. Energy Research & Social Science. vol. 59.
- (2012) The impact of carbon emission reducing design features on office occupiers’ choice of premises. Urban Studies.
- (2011) The role of corporate reputation and employees’ values in the uptake of energy efficiency in office buildings. Energy Policy.
- (2010) Whole life costing of domestic energy demand reduction technologies: householder perspectives. Construction Management and Economics.
- (2008) Book Review: Spaces of Sustainability: Geographical Perspectives on the Sustainable Society Mark Whitehead, 2007 London: Routledge 242 pp. £22.50 paperback ISBN 9780415358040 Green Cities: Urban Growth and the Environment Matthew E. Kahn, 2006 Washington, DC: Brookings Institution Press 160 pp. £11.99 Paperback ISBN 139780815748151. Urban Studies. vol. 45 (4).
- (2020) Wind Power and Public Engagement: Co-operatives and Community Ownership. Routledge. 2020. ISBN 9781138589100.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Energy Justice and Intergenerational Ethics: Theoretical Perspectives and Institutional Designs. Energy Justice Across Borders.
- (2019) Energy equality and energy sufficiency: new policy principles to accelerate the energy transition. eceee 2019 Summer Study on energy efficiency: Is efficienct sufficient?.
- (2019) Climate justice in practice: adapting democratic institutions for environmental citizenship. A Research Agenda for Climate Justice.
- (2010) Economic barriers to low-carbon office refurbishments. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Improving Energy Efficiency in Commercial Buildings: IEECB Focus 2010.
- (2009) Market Development Potential of Residential Refurbishment Packages. Act! Innovate! Deliver! Reducing energy demand sustainably: ECEEE 2009 Summer Study Proceedings.
- (2019) D6.1 Report on social innovation drivers, barriers, actors and network structures. European Commission. 2019.
- (2018) Raccomandazioni per il coinvolgimento degli stakeholder nello sviluppo della rete. 2018.
- (2010) Non-domestic conclusions of the Tarbase project –Reducing CO2 emissions of existing buildings. 2010.
- (2007) The carbon-saving behaviour of residential households. 51st IFHP World Congress ; 2007-09-23 - 2007-09-26.