Bente Jessen Graae
Background and activities
I did my Ph.D. at University of Copenhagen in 2000, and thereafter I spent 3 years at Arctic Station, Disko, Greenland, and 5 years at Climate Impatcs Research Centre, Abisko, Northern Sweden before moving to Trondheim. I study plant performance, community dynamics and productivity, and carbon fluxes and stocks in vegetation - all in response to different environmental drivers. Most of my work has been carried out in Arctic-alpine ecosystems, temperate-boreal forests and tropical savanna and the research focuses on how plant and plant community dynamics are responding to changes in climate, land use history and grazing. I work mostly in the field but can also be seen in the lab or greenhouse when needed. I right now work within three networks:
the Horizon 2020 project AfricanBioServices where I lead the work package on drivers of change in biodiversity and ecosystem function in the Greater Serengeti-Mara Ecosystem (Tanzania and Kenya). See more here: africanbioservices.eu
the Fleur network studying the impact of climate change to forest herbs along a latitudinal gradient from France to Northern Sweden see http://www.fleur.ugent.be
the ECOSHRUB network studying the effect of shrub encroachment on community dynamics and ecosystem processes in alpine tundra see www.ntnu.edu/biology/ecoshrub
In my group you also find:
Post doc: Stuart Smith
- BI3036 - Plant Ecology
- RFEL3080 - Scientific Research Seminar in Natural Resource Management
- RFEL3081 - Interdisiplinary Project for Environmental Sustainability
- RFEL3082 - Sustainable Management of Ecosystem Services
- BI8031 - Plant Ecology III
- BI1002 - Faunistics and Floristics
- BI2034 - Community Ecology and Eco Systems
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Functional trait variation of Anemone nemorosa along macro- and microclimatic gradients close to the northern range edge. Nordic Journal of Botany (NJB).
- (2022) Soil seed bank responses to edge effects in temperate European forests. Global Ecology and Biogeography.
- (2022) The European Forest Plant Species List (EuForPlant): Concept and applications. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). vol. 33 (3).
- (2022) Hiking trails shift plant species' realized climatic niches and locally increase species richness. Diversity and Distributions: A journal of biological invasions and biodiversity. vol. 28 (7).
- (2021) Biological flora of Central Europe: Impatiens glandulifera Royle. Perspectives in plant ecology, evolution and systematics. vol. 50.
- (2021) Habitat fragmentation amplifies threats from habitat loss to mammal diversity across the world’s terrestrial ecoregions. One Earth. vol. 4 (10).
- (2021) Global maps of soil temperature. Global Change Biology. vol. 00.
- (2021) Lichens buffer tundra microclimate more than the expanding shrub Betula nana. Annals of Botany. vol. 128 (4).
- (2021) Drivers of carbon stocks in forest edges across Europe. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 759.
- (2021) Herbivores reduce seedling recruitment in alpine plant communities. Nordic Journal of Botany (NJB). vol. 39 (2).
- (2021) Small scale environmental variation modulates plant defence syndromes of understorey plants in deciduous forests of Europe. Global Ecology and Biogeography. vol. 30.
- (2021) Directional turnover towards larger-ranged plants over time and across habitats. Ecology Letters. vol. 25 (2).
- (2020) Earlier onset of flowering and increased reproductive allocation of an annual invasive plant in the north of its novel range. Annals of Botany. vol. 126 (6).
- (2020) Inter- and intraspecific trait variation shape multidimensional trait overlap between two plant invaders and the invaded communities. Oikos. vol. 129 (5).
- (2020) Spatio-Temporal Changes in Wildlife Habitat Quality in the Greater Serengeti Ecosystem. Sustainability. vol. 12 (6).
- (2020) SoilTemp: A global database of near-surface temperature. Global Change Biology. vol. 26.
- (2020) Determinants of tree seedling establishment in alpine tundra. Journal of Vegetation Science (JVS). vol. 32 (1).
- (2020) Structural variation of forest edges across Europe. Forest Ecology and Management. vol. 462.
- (2020) Teatime in the Serengeti: macrodetritivores sustain recalcitrant plant litter decomposition across human-modified tropical savannahs. Plant and Soil. vol. 456.
- (2020) Plant diversity in hedgerows and road verges across Europe. Journal of Applied Ecology. vol. 57 (7).