Background and activities
Gunnar Taraldsen is professor at Department of Mathematical Sciences. His current research interest focusses on the foundational principles of statistical inference including quantum probability, artificial intelligence, and machine learning. The aim is to bridge foundations for statistical inferences, to facilitate objective and replicable scientific learning, and to develop analytic and computing methodologies for data analysis.
Earlier research includes quantum mechanics, mathematical physics, measure theory, probability, medical ultrasound, non-linear wave propagation, numerical acoustics, medical statistics, outdoors sound propagation, community noise annoyance, acoustic noise mapping, underwater localization, underwater wave propagation, and spherical microphone arrays.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Conditional Monte Carlo revisited. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics.
- (2021) The Confidence Density for Correlation. Sankhya A, The Indian Journal of Statistics.
- (2021) Improper priors and improper posteriors. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics.
- (2019) Discussion of 'Nonparametric generalized fiducial inference for survival functions under censoring'. Biometrika. vol. 106 (3).
- (2018) Conditional fiducial models. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference. vol. 195.
- (2017) On the proper treatment of improper distributions. Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference. vol. 195.
- (2016) How to measure community tolerance levels for noise. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 140 (1).
- (2016) Conditional probability and improper priors. Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods. vol. 45 (17).
- (2015) Estimation of aircraft angular coordinates using a directional-microphone array - An experimental study. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 137 (4).
- (2015) Estimation of aircraft sound direction of arrival using directional-microphone arrays. Acta Acustica united with Acustica. vol. 101 (1).
- (2015) Uncertainty of decibel levels. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 138 (3).
- (2015) Fiducial and Posterior Sampling. Communications in Statistics - Theory and Methods. vol. 44 (17).
- (2013) Exact statistical inference for some parametric nonhomogeneous poisson processes. Journal of the Iranian Statistical Society. vol. 12 (1).
- (2013) Fiducial theory and optimal inference. Annals of Statistics. vol. 41 (1).
- (2011) Gender differences in subjective well-being, self-esteem and psychosocial functioning in adolescents with symptoms of anxiety and depression: Findings from the Nord-Trondelag health study. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology. vol. 52 (3).
- (2011) Analysis of rounded exponential data. Journal of Applied Statistics. vol. 38 (5).
- (2011) Aspects of ground effect modeling. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 129 (1).
- (2011) The Underwater GPS Problem. OCEANS.
- (2010) Early prediction of cerebral palsy by computer-based video analysis of general movements: a feasibility study. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. vol. 52 (8).
- (2010) Perinatal risk and psychiatric outcome in adolescents born preterm with very low birth weight or term small for gestational age. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. vol. 31 (4).
- Information and communication science
- Psychometrics / Applied statistics
- Bayesian statistics
- Medical statistics
- Monte Carlo simulation
- Medical ultrasound
- Mathematical and statisctical modelling
- Theoretical and applied statistics
- Philosophy of Quantum Mechanics
- Sound propagation
- Mathematical modelling