Henrique M. Gaspar
Background and activities
- IP200117 Skipsdesign III - Prosjektering (HØST) - with Øyvind Kamsvåg
- IP300315 Studiepoenggivende praksis (HØST)
- IP500616 Systems Engineering Applied to Maritime Engineering (HØST)
- IP500817 Scientific theory and methods (HØST)
- IP505614 - Virtual Prototype and Digitalisation of Marine Design and Operations (HØST) - with Pierre Major, OSC
- Courses organized due to coordination of the MSc programs(HØST/VÅR): IP506114 Best Practice - Marine engineering internship, IP506215 Scientific Research Project Internship, IP501909 1 MSc thesis, discipline oriented (120ECTS), IP502009 - MSc thesis, professional master (90 ECTS)
- Supervision of 25+ MSc candidates
- TS8001 Maritime Systems Design and Methods (VÅR) - with Hans Petter Hildre
- TS501418 - Operations Management and Flexibility (Høst 2019)
- IP500415 - Computer Aided Engineering (with Karl Henning Halse - HØST 2015)
- Introduction to Matlab (HiÅ with Karl Henning Halse)
- Ship Design I (HiÅ with Arne Jan Solied)
- Ship Design II (HiÅ with Arne Jan Solied)
- Strength Calculations (HiÅ with Arne Jan Solied)
- Best Practice - Design Visualization and 3D Animation
Current PhD Candidates
- Ícaro A. Fonseca - Digital Twin Ship: A Standard for Lifecycle Data Format
- Raheleh Kari - Human in the Loop for Remote Ship Operations
- Mehrnoosh Nickpasand - Agility in Offshore Wind Systems (Industrual PhD)
- Brian Murray - Machine Learning for Enhanced Maritime Situation Awareness: Leveraging Historical AIS Data for Ship Trajectory Prediction (co-supervision - PhD defended in May 2021)
Participation in 10 evaluation committees for PhD since 2016.
Active Research Projects:
- EDIS, Efficient Data Integration in Ship Design (Ulstein International AS) - Project Manager
- INTPART BN Subsea Part II USP-IHB Subproject (Workpackage Coordinator)
- SFI Move (diverse roles)
- Markon - Advanced data Analytics Framework for Ship Energy Efficiency (Workpackage Coordinator)
Finished Research Projects (highlights):
- EMIS, Efficient Modular Integration of Systems in Ship Design (Ulstein International AS) - Project Manager 2014- 2016
- ABD - ShipEva, evakueringsløsning (ABD AS) - Project Manager
- INTPART BN Subsea USP-IHB Subproject (Workpackage Coordinator)
- Senketunnel - VRI - Project Manager 2014/2015
- Markom 2020 - HSN/NTNU (Workpackage Coordinator) - 2016/2017
- Nestleder MSc in Engineering (IHB) (2016-2021)
- Deputy Leder at NTNU for the PhD Program in Nautical Operations (with Runar Ostnes).
- Program Coordinator for MSc in Naval Architecture and MSc in Product and System Design (both scientific 120ECTS and professional 90ECTS degrees) (2016-2021)
- Ship Design and Operations Lab Coordinator (since 2014 - with Karl Henning Halse)
- Fablab NTNU (2016-2018)
- Associate Editor (Design and Construction) - RINA Internatinal Journal of Maritime Engineering.
- Chair - ECMS - Open and Collaborative Models and Simulation Methods track
- Advisory committee for the Computer Applications and Information Technology in the Maritime Industries Conference (COMPIT) since 2015
- Member of the Scientific Committee of MARTECH
- Organizer - Symposium on Open and Collaborative Ship Design
- Reviewer in diverse indexed journals and conferences
Associate Professor in Ship Design at the Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering, NTNU (Norway) since 2013. The professorship was connected to the Ship Design Chair at the Maritime Knowledge Hub, sponsored by Ulstein Group (2013-2018).
Active research and coordination activities on the FABLAB and Ship Design and Operations lab at NTNU in Ålesund. Special interest in open and collaborative applications for the digitalization of the ship design activity. Main coordinator of the Vessel.JS library.
Education consists of a PhD degree in Marine Engineering at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, IMT (2012). Part of the PhD developed at the Systems Engineering Advancement Research Initiative (SEAri) at MIT, with complex system engineering methods applied to the maritime case (2010-2011). Visiting lecturer and research collaboration with the Marine Research Group at UCL (2016 and 2019).
Previous experience as Senior Consultant at Det Norske Veritas (Norway, 2012-2013).
Previous experience in Oil & Gas in Brazil, at the TPN - Numerical Offshore Model Basin in Brazil (partnership with Petrobras, University of São Paulo and other research institutes in Brazil). Master in engineering (2yrs) and Diploma Engineering (5yrs) in Naval Architecture and Maritime Engineering at University of São Paulo, Brazil. Born in 1979.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Challenges when creating a cohesive digital twin ship: a data modelling perspective. Ship Technology Research. vol. 68 (2).
- (2020) An open-source library for hydrodynamic simulation of marine structures. Marine Systems & Ocean Technology. vol. 15.
- (2018) Improving early OSV design robustness by applying ‘Multivariate Big Data Analytics’ on a ship's life cycle. Journal of Industrial Information Integration. vol. 10.
- (2018) DATA-DRIVEN METHODS TO HANDLE COMPLEXITY AND ENABLE SOPHISTICATION DURING SHIP DESIGN. International Journal of Maritime Engineering. vol. Special Edition (2018).
- (2017) Parametric structural analysis for a platform supply vessel at conceptual design phase – a sensitivity study via design of experiments. Ships and Offshore Structures. vol. 12.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Fundamentals Of Digital Twins Applied To A Plastic Toy Boat And A Ship Scale Model. Proceedings of the 34th International ECMS - Conference on Modelling and Simulation - ECMS 2020.
- (2020) A MODEL FOR FORECASTING MENTAL FATIGUE IN MARITIME OPERATIONS. Proceedings of the 34th International ECMS - Conference on Modelling and Simulation - ECMS 2020.
- (2020) Simulation Of The Conceptual Design Of Offshore Salt Caves For CO2 Storage. Proceedings of the 34th International ECMS - Conference on Modelling and Simulation - ECMS 2020.
- (2019) Virtual Prototyping and Simulation of Multibody Marine Operations Using Web-Based Technologies. ASME 2019 38th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. Volume 7A: Ocean Engineering.
- (2019) A Prime on Web-Based Simulation. Proceedings of the 33rd International ECMS Conference on Modelling and Simulation ECMS 2019.
- (2019) A Perspective on the Past, Present and Future of Computer-Aided Ship Design. 18th International Conference on Computer and IT Applications in the Maritime Industries - COMPIT’19.
- (2019) EEG Application for Human-Centered Experiments in Remote Ship Operations. CENTRIC 2019, The Twelfth International Conference on Advances in Human oriented and Personalized Mechanisms, Technologies, and Services.
- (2018) Disruptive market conditions require new direction for vessel design practices and tools application. Marine Design XIII, Volume 1 Proceedings of the 13th International Marine Design Conference (IMDC 2018), June 10-14, 2018, Helsinki, Finland.
- (2018) An Open and Collaborative Object-Oriented Taxonomy for Simulation of Marine Operations. COMPIT’18 - 17th International Conference on Computer and IT Applications in the Maritime Industries.
- (2018) Data-Driven Ship Design. COMPIT’18 - 17th International Conference on Computer and IT Applications in the Maritime Industries.
- (2018) Vessel.js: An open and collaborative ship design object-oriented library. Marine Design XIII, Volume 1 Proceedings of the 13th International Marine Design Conference (IMDC 2018), June 10-14, 2018, Helsinki, Finland.
- (2018) Human Interactions Framework for Remote Ship Operations. The 26th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation.
- (2017) Preparing for a Digital Future – Experiences and Implications from a Maritime Domain Perspective. 16th International Conference on Computer and IT Applications in the Maritime Industries.
- (2017) 4GD Framework in Ship Design. 16th International Conference on Computer and IT Applications in the Maritime Industries.
- (2019) Implementation of Open Source Code for 6 Degrees of Freedom Simulations in Maritime Applications. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2019.
- (2019) (Organization). 1st Symposium on Open and Collaborative Ship Design ; 2019-06-25 - 2019-06-25.
- (2018) An Open and Collaborative Knowledge-Based Approach for Automated Design of Hull Scantlings. International Conference on Ships and Offshore Structures ICSOS 2018 . Chalmers University; Gothenburg. 2018-09-17 - 2018-09-19.
- (2018) Hull Scantlings Design Assistant. NTNU, Ålesund. 2018.
- (2018) Virtual simulation of complex subsea operations. INTPART Subsea . NTNU / USP; Trondheim. 2018-06-07 - 2018-06-08.
- (2017) Improving early OSV design robustness by applying 'Multivariate Big Data Analytics' on a ship ́s life cycle. 5th International Conference on Enterprise Systems ; 2017-09-22 - 2017-09-24.