Background and activities
My research interests focus on life history strategies, migratory behaviour and habitat use in anadromous fishes. Especially, I am interested in how anthropogenic activities and environmental changes may affect anadromy and marine migrations in sea trout (Salmo trutta).
During our studies on sea trout, we try to reveal the underlying causes between different marine migratory strategies. Examples of research questions are if aquaculture, water temperature or levels of salinity influence migratory behaviour, habitat use or growth in the marine environment. Such information will be important in order to evaluate if dynamic environmental changes may confine the marine feeding migration of sea trout.
By use of methods such as acoustic telemetry and passive integrated transponder (PIT) tags individual fish are followed in the marine and freshwater environment for several years. Analyses of scales, stomach contents, marine parasites and stable isotopic ratios are further used to bring information about marine growth rates and feeding.
Several of our projects are conducted in cooperation with e.g. Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Dalhousie University/Ocean Tracking Network (Canada), Technical University of Denmark, UiT the Arctic University of Norway, Institut national de la recherche agronomique or the French Polar Institute.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Nutritional correlates of spatio-temporal variations in the marine habitat use of brown trout, Salmo trutta, veteran migrants. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 75.
- (2017) Bridging the gap between fisheries science and society: Exploring fisheries science as a social activity. ICES Journal of Marine Science. vol. 74 (2).
- (2017) Trophic niche similarity among sea trout Salmo trutta in Central Norway investigated using different time-integrated trophic tracers. Aquatic Biology. vol. 26.
- (2017) Marine depth use of sea trout Salmo trutta in fjord areas of central Norway. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 91 (5).
- (2016) The first months at sea: marine migration and habitat use of sea trout Salmo trutta post-smolts. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 89.
- (2016) Interaction between migration behaviour and estuarine mortality in cultivated Atlantic salmon Salmo salar smolts. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 89 (4).
- (2015) Marine migration and habitat use of anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 72 (9).
- (2014) Riverine and near coastal migration performance of hatchery brown trout Salmo trutta. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 85 (3).
- (2014) Does reduced feeding prior to release improve the marine migration of hatchery brown trout Salmo trutta smolts?. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 85 (6).
- (2014) Water temperatures influence the marine area use of Salvelinus alpinus and Salmo trutta. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 84 (6).
- (2013) Homing behaviour of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) during final phase of marine migration and river entry. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 70 (5).
- (2013) Can sea trout Salmo trutta compromise successful eradication of Gyrodactylus salaris by hiding from CFT Legumin (rotenone) treatments?. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 82 (4).
- (2013) State-dependent migratory timing of postspawned Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 70 (7).
- (2011) An effective method for the recapture of escaped farmed salmon. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. vol. 1 (3).
- (2011) Early marine migration of European silver eel Anguilla anguilla in northern Norway. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 78 (5).
- (2011) Does river of origin influence the early marine migratory performance of Salmo salar?. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 78 (2).
- (2011) Seaward migrating Atlantic salmon smolts with low levels of gill Na+, K+ -ATPase activity; is sea entry delayed?. Environmental Biology of Fishes. vol. 90 (3).
- (2010) Genetic versus Rearing-Environment Effects on Phenotype: Hatchery and Natural Rearing Effects on Hatchery-and Wild-Born Coho Salmon. PLoS ONE. vol. 5 (8).
- (2009) Migratory behaviour and survival rates of wild northern Atlantic salmon Salmo salar post-smolts: effects of environmental factors. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 75 (7).
- (2009) Vertical movements of Atlantic salmon post-smolts relative to measures of salinity and water temperature during the first phase of the marine migration. Fisheries Management and Ecology. vol. 16 (2).