Jan Grimsrud Davidsen
Background and activities
My research interests focus on life history strategies, migratory behaviour and habitat use in anadromous fishes. Especially, I am interested in how anthropogenic activities and environmental changes may affect anadromy and marine migrations in sea trout (Salmo trutta).
During our studies on sea trout, we try to reveal the underlying causes between different marine migratory strategies. Examples of research questions are if aquaculture, water temperature or levels of salinity influence migratory behaviour, habitat use or growth in the marine environment. Such information will be important in order to evaluate if dynamic environmental changes may confine the marine feeding migration of sea trout.
By use of methods such as acoustic telemetry and passive integrated transponder (PIT) tags individual fish are followed in the marine and freshwater environment for several years. Analyses of scales, stomach contents, marine parasites and stable isotopic ratios are further used to bring information about marine growth rates and feeding.
Several of our projects are conducted in cooperation with e.g. Norwegian Institute for Nature Research, Dalhousie University/Ocean Tracking Network (Canada), Technical University of Denmark, UiT the Arctic University of Norway, Institut national de la recherche agronomique or the French Polar Institute.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Life-history strategies in salmonids: the role of physiology and its consequences. Biological Reviews.
- (2021) Marine habitat use and feeding ecology of introduced anadromous brown trout at the colonization front of the sub-Antarctic Kerguelen archipelago. Scientific Reports. vol. 11.
- (2021) The effects of nutritional state, sex and body size on the marine migration behaviour of sea trout. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 665.
- (2021) Development of a risk assessment for sea trout in coastal areas exploited for aquaculture. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. vol. 13.
- (2021) A dated volcano-tectonic deformation event in Jan Mayen causing landlocking of Arctic charr. Journal of Quaternary Science. vol. 36.
- (2021) Redefining the oceanic distribution of Atlantic salmon. Scientific Reports. vol. 11.
- (2020) Migration and habitat use of the landlocked riverine Atlantic salmon Salmo salar småblank. Hydrobiologia. vol. 847.
- (2020) Marine trophic niche use and life history diversity among Arctic charr Salvelinus alpinus in southwestern Greenland. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 96 (3).
- (2020) The Biology and feeding Ecology of Arctic charr in the Kerguelen Islands. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 98 (2).
- (2020) Changes in growth and migration patterns of sea trout before and after the introduction of Atlantic salmon farming. ICES Journal of Marine Science. vol. 77.
- (2020) How pathogens affect the marine habitat use and migration of sea trout (Salmo trutta) in two Norwegian fjord systems. Journal of Fish Diseases. vol. 43 (7).
- (2020) Wild salmonids are running the gauntlet of pathogens and climate as fish farms expand northwards. ICES Journal of Marine Science. vol. 78.
- (2019) Demographic and genetic description of Greenland´s only indigenous Atlantic salmon Salmo salar population. Journal of Fish Biology. vol. 94.
- (2019) Effects of sound exposure from a seismic airgun on heart rate, acceleration and depth use in free-swimming Atlantic cod and saithe. Conservation Physiology. vol. 7.
- (2019) Individual repeatability in marine migratory behavior: A multi-population assessment of anadromous brown trout tracked through consecutive feeding migrations. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. vol. 7.
- (2019) One hundred pressing questions on the future of global fish migration science, conservation, and policy. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. vol. 7.
- (2019) Social-Cultural Ecosystem Services of Sea Trout Recreational Fishing in Norway. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 6 (178).
- (2019) Environmental influences on life history strategies in partially anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta, Salmonidae). Fish and Fisheries. vol. 20.
- (2018) Nutritional correlates of spatiotemporal variations in the marine habitat use of brown trout (Salmo trutta) veteran migrants. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 75 (10).
- (2017) Bridging the gap between fisheries science and society: Exploring fisheries science as a social activity. ICES Journal of Marine Science. vol. 74 (2).