Background and activities
see also my other official webpage
Tommy Gravdahl is professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He was born in 1969 and graduated siv.ing (1994) and dr.ing (1998) in Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU. From 1998 to 2001 he was a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He was appointed Associate Professor (2001) and Professor (2005) at the same department, where he served as deputy department head 2006-07 and department head in 2008/09. In 2007/08 he was with The Centre for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control (CDSC), The University of Newcastle, Australia. His current research interests include mathematical modeling and nonlinear control in general and with application to turbomachinery, spacecraft, robots, ships and nanopositioning devices. He has supervised the graduation of 78 MSc and 10 PhD. He has published more than 150 papers at conferences and in international journals and in 2000 he received theIEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He is author of Compressor Surge and Rotating Stall: Modeling and Control (Springer 1999), co-author of Modeling and Simulation for Automatic Control (Marine Cybernetics 2002), Snake Robots: Modeling, Mechatronics, and Control (Springer 2013), Vehicle-Manipulator Systems: Modeling for Simulation, Analysis and Control (Springer 2014) and co-editor of Group Coordination and Cooperative Control (Springer 2006).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Integral Line-of-Sight Guidance for Path Following Control of Underwater Snake Robots: Theory and Experiments. IEEE Transactions on robotics. vol. 33 (3).
- (2017) An Experimental Investigation of Path Following for an Underwater Snake Robot with a Caudal Fin. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2017) Model-based LOS path-following control of planar underwater snake robots. Lecture notes in control and information sciences. vol. 474.
- (2017) Unscented multi-point smoother for fusion of delayed displacement measurements: Application to agricultural robots. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 38 (1).
- (2016) A heat equation for freezing processes with phase change: stability analysis and applications. International Journal of Control. vol. 89 (4).
- (2016) Robust control of a two-state Greitzer compressor model by state-feedback linearization. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2016) Optimal boundary control of a contact thawing process for foodstuff. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (7).
- (2016) Integral Line-of-Sight Guidance and Control of Underactuated Marine Vehicles: Theory, Simulations and Experiments. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 24 (5).
- (2016) Robustness of ISS systems to inputs with limited moving average: Application to spacecraft formations. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control. vol. 26 (4).
- (2016) A Machine Vision System for Robust Sorting of Herring Fractions. Food and Bioprocess Technology. vol. 9 (11).
- (2016) Multi-objective optimization for efficient motion of underwater snake robots. Artificial Life and Robotics. vol. 21 (4).
- (2016) Innovation in Underwater Robots: Biologically Inspired Swimming Snake Robots. IEEE robotics & automation magazine. vol. 23 (1).
- (2016) Planar path following of underwater snake robots in the presence of ocean currents. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Line-of-Sight Curved Path Following for Underactuated USVs and AUVs in the Horizontal Plane under the influence of Ocean Currents. IEEE Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation.
- (2016) Imaging Topography and Viscoelastic Properties by Constant Depth Atomic Force Microscopy. Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Control Applications.
- (2016) On Amplitude Estimation for High-Speed Atomic Force Microscopy. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2016-July.
- (2016) Cell Mechanics Modeling and Identification by Atomic Force Microscopy. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (21).
- (2016) Formation Control of Underactuated Bio-inspired Snake Robots. Artificial Life and Robotics. vol. 21 (3).
- (2016) A control framework for biologically inspired underwater swimming manipulators equipped with thrusters. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2016) Modeling of underwater swimming manipulators. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).