Jan Tommy Gravdahl
Background and activities
see also my other official webpage
Tommy Gravdahl is professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He was born in 1969 and graduated siv.ing (1994) and dr.ing (1998) in Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU. From 1998 to 2001 he was a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He was appointed Associate Professor (2001) and Professor (2005) at the same department, where he served as deputy department head 2006-07 and department head in 2008/09. In 2007/08 he was with The Centre for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control (CDSC), The University of Newcastle, Australia. His current research interests include mathematical modeling and nonlinear control in general and with application to turbomachinery, spacecraft, robots, ships and nanopositioning devices. He has supervised the graduation of 78 MSc and 10 PhD. He has published more than 150 papers at conferences and in international journals and in 2000 he received theIEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He is author of Compressor Surge and Rotating Stall: Modeling and Control (Springer 1999), co-author of Modeling and Simulation for Automatic Control (Marine Cybernetics 2002), Snake Robots: Modeling, Mechatronics, and Control (Springer 2013), Vehicle-Manipulator Systems: Modeling for Simulation, Analysis and Control (Springer 2014) and co-editor of Group Coordination and Cooperative Control (Springer 2006).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Tracking control of an articulated intervention AUV in 6DOF using the generalized super-twisting algorithm. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2019-July.
- (2019) Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing by Robot Manipulator: Towards Creating Complex Geometries. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 52 (11).
- (2019) Path Following, Obstacle Detection and Obstacle Avoidance for Thrusted Underwater Snake Robots. Frontiers in Robotics and AI.
- (2018) Stability of the Tracking Problem with Task-Priority Inverse Kinematics. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (222).
- (2018) Simple method for parameter identification of a nonlinear Greitzer compressor model. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (13).
- (2018) Trajectory tracking for underwater swimming manipulators using a super twisting algorithm. Asian journal of control. vol. 21 (1).
- (2018) Trajectory tracking for an articulated intervention AUV using a super-twisting algorithm in 6 DOF. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).
- (2018) Locomotion efficiency optimization of biologically inspired snake robots. Applied Sciences. vol. 8 (1).
- (2018) Experimental investigation of locomotion efficiency and path-following for underwater snake robots with and without a caudal fin. Annual Reviews in Control.
- (2018) Set-Based Control for Autonomous Spray Painting. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering. vol. 15 (4).
- (2018) A Comparative Study of Different Control Structures for Flight Control with New Results. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology.
- (2018) Model-Based Identification of Nanomechanical Properties in Atomic Force Microscopy: Theory and Experiments. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology.
- (2018) The underwater swimming manipulator — A bioinspired solution for subsea operations. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 43 (2).
- (2018) Roll damping of a surface effect ship with split air cushion. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).
- (2018) Robotic in-row weed control in vegetables. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. vol. 154.
- (2017) On the globally exponentially convergent immersion and invariance speed observer for mechanical systems. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2017) Mid-Level MPC and 6 DOF Output Path Following for Robotic Manipulators. IEEE Control Systems.
- (2017) On model predictive path following and trajectory tracking for industrial robots. IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering. vol. 2017-August.
- (2017) Unscented Multi-Point Smoother for Fusion of Delayed Displacement Measurements: Application to Agricultural Robots. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 38 (1).
- (2017) Improvement of a Robotic Manipulator Model Based on Multivariate Residual Modeling. Frontiers in Robotics and AI. vol. 4.