Jan Tommy Gravdahl
Background and activities
see also my other official webpage
Tommy Gravdahl is professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). He was born in 1969 and graduated siv.ing (1994) and dr.ing (1998) in Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU. From 1998 to 2001 he was a postdoctoral researcher with the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He was appointed Associate Professor (2001) and Professor (2005) at the same department, where he served as deputy department head 2006-07 and department head in 2008/09. In 2007/08 he was with The Centre for Complex Dynamic Systems and Control (CDSC), The University of Newcastle, Australia. His current research interests include mathematical modeling and nonlinear control in general and with application to turbomachinery, spacecraft, robots, ships and nanopositioning devices. He has supervised the graduation of 78 MSc and 10 PhD. He has published more than 150 papers at conferences and in international journals and in 2000 he received theIEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award. He is author of Compressor Surge and Rotating Stall: Modeling and Control (Springer 1999), co-author of Modeling and Simulation for Automatic Control (Marine Cybernetics 2002), Snake Robots: Modeling, Mechatronics, and Control (Springer 2013), Vehicle-Manipulator Systems: Modeling for Simulation, Analysis and Control (Springer 2014) and co-editor of Group Coordination and Cooperative Control (Springer 2006).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) The generalized super-twisting algorithm with adaptive gains. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control. vol. 32 (13).
- (2022) Wire-arc additive manufacturing of structures with overhang: Experimental results depositing material onto fixed substrate. CIRP - Journal of Manufacturing Science and Technology. vol. 38.
- (2022) Sparse deep neural networks for modeling aluminum electrolysis dynamics. arXiv.org.
- (2022) The Generalized Lyapunov Demodulator: High-Bandwidth, Low-Noise Amplitude and Phase Estimation. IEEE Open Journal of Control Systems. vol. 1.
- (2022) A novel corrective-source term approach to modeling unknown physics in aluminum extraction process. arXiv.org.
- (2021) Comparison of KVP and RSI for Controlling KUKA Robots Over ROS. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2021) Comparison of two second-order sliding mode control algorithms for an articulated intervention AUV: Theory and experimental results. Ocean Engineering. vol. 222.
- (2021) Robotised Wire Arc Additive Manufacturing Using Set-based Control: Experimental Results. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2021) Neural Network-based Model Predictive Control with Input-to-State Stability. American Control Conference (ACC).
- (2021) Ocean Color Hyperspectral Remote Sensing With High Resolution and Low Latency--The HYPSO-1 CubeSat Mission. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. vol. 60.
- (2021) Spacecraft Attitude and Angular Rate Tracking using Reaction Wheels and Magnetorquers. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2021) Learning-based Robust Model Predictive Control for Sector-bounded Lur'e Systems. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 54 (20).
- (2021) Energy optimal attitude control for a solar-powered spacecraft. European Journal of Control. vol. 62.
- (2021) Quaternion-Based Generalized Super-Twisting Algorithm for Spacecraft Attitude Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2021) A novel hybrid analysis and modeling approach applied to aluminum electrolysis process. Journal of Process Control. vol. 105.
- (2021) Analysis of PI-Control for Atomic Force Microscopy in Contact Mode. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 30 (4).
- (2021) Fractional-order Control: Nyquist Constrained Optimization. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2021) Additive Manufacturing Path Generation for Robot Manipulators Based on CAD Models. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (2).
- (2020) Combined state and parameter estimation for not fully observable dynamic systems. IFAC Journal of Systems and Control. vol. 13.
- (2020) Combined Kinematic and Dynamic Control of Vehicle-Manipulator Systems. Mechatronics (Oxford). vol. 69.