Jon Atle Gulla
Background and activities
Jon Atle Gulla is director of the Norwegian Research Center for AI Innovation (NorwAI). This is a center for research-based innovation (SFI) that develops new technologies for successful and responsible exploitation of data-driven artificial intelligence in industrial innovations. NorwAI is supported by the Research Center of Norway, three universities, two research institutes and 11 companies.
Jon Atle Gulla is a professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Trondheim. He was the head of the Department of Computer and Information Science 2010—2012 and the deputy head 2009-2010 and 2012-2013. Gulla has a MSc (1988) and a PhD (1993) in Computer Science from the Norwegian Institute of Technology. He has a MSc in Linguistics from the University of Trondheim (1995) and a MSc of Management (Sloan fellowship) from London Business School (2003).
Gulla’s research centers around Semantics and Natural Language Processing and its use in Recommender Systems, Information Retrieval, and Text Analytics. He has a keen interest in Digitalization and AI-based Innovation and Entrepreneurship, facilitating AI adoption in industrial companies as well as exploring new business opportunities in startups.
Gulla has close to 150 international publications and has supervised around 70 MSc students, 30 PhD students and 10 post docs. He has served as opponent/administrator for numerous PhD defenses and is a frequently invited speaker at both industrial and academic events. Gulla is a reviewer for many international journals, like Data & Knowledge Engineering, Information Processing and Management and AI Magazine, and for international conferences like ACL, EKAW and ECIL. He is also a co-founder and general chair of the annual international workshop on News Recommendation and Analytics (INRA) and the annual Norwegian Big Data Symposium (NOBIDS).
Selected research projects:
- Big Data & Machine Learning with DNB: AI techniques for conversational systems, detection of money laundering activities and transaction analysis in finance.
- RecTech (BIA): AI-driven news recommendation for Adresseavisen and Cxense/Piano.
- Trondheim Analytica (NTNU Digital Transformation program): Multi-disciplinary research on political mining and social media analysis
- Contextual (FORNY): Commercialization of research on AI-based real-time company news monitoring and analytics
Innovation & Entrepreneurship
Gulla has years of experience from managerial positions in industry and is used as an advisor for AI adoption in industry and commercialization of new AI research. He has taken part in four technology startups:
- Fast Search & Transfer: Early stage manager/CEO of German subsidiary. Large-scale internet search engine and enterprise search. Established in 1997, acquired by Microsoft in 2008 for USD 1.3 billion.
- LingIT: Co-founder. Spell-checkers, question-answering systems and other linguistic software. Established in 2001, acquired by Verdane Capital in 2017.
- Businesscape: Co-founder. Automatic business process mining. Established in 2004, closed down in 2016.
- Mito.ai/Strise.ai: Co-founder. Real-time media monitoring and analysis. Established in 2016, exit in 2017.
Jon Atle Gulla is the owner of Gulla Gaard, a well-known traditional English fishing lodge located next to one of the finest salmon rivers in Norway, Surna. Among the sports fishermen visiting Gulla since 1872, there are ministers, diplomats and wealthy business men from all over the world, as well as King Haakon VII in 1931. The whole history of Gulla Gaard is discussed in the book “Portvin og laks på Gulla Gaard” (Port and salmon at Gulla Gaard), written by Jon Atle Gulla in 2006.
In the media
- «Retriever vil analysere tekst med kunstig intelligens – nytt samarbeid med NTNU»
- «How much does our use of social media reveal about our political views?»
- «Forskning på algoritmer kan avsløre falske nyheter»
- «Trondheimsfirma vil koble finansnyheter med aksjesalg»
- «Personaliserte nyheter: NTNU og Adressa vil ta Facebook og Google»
- «Endelig kan søkemotoren forstå deg»
- «Tar språkproblemene ut i verden»
- “Towards a Semantic Information Platform for Subsea Petroleum Processes”
- «Unge gründere med brukerfokus»
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Dynamic attention-based explainable recommendation with textual and visual fusion. Information Processing & Management.
- (2019) Learning multi-granularity dynamic network representations for social recommendation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11052 LNAI.
- (2019) Real-time social recommendation based on graph embedding and temporal context. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. vol. 121.
- (2019) Anbefaling av nyhetsinnhold i praksis: Fra algoritmer til personaliserte nyheter. Norsk Medietidsskrift. vol. 26 (1).
- (2019) Dynamic attention-integrated neural network for session-based news recommendation. Machine Learning.
- (2018) Evaluation of team dynamics in Norwegian projects for IT students. NIKT: Norsk IKT-konferanse for forskning og utdanning.
- (2018) Content-Based Recommendations for Sustainable Wardrobes Using Linked Open Data. Journal on spesial topics in mobile networks and applications. vol. 23.
- (2018) Towards new privacy regulations in europe: Users' privacy perception in recommender systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 11342 LNCS.
- (2018) Female Leadership in Software Projects—A Preliminary Result on Leadership Style and Project Context Factors. Studies in Computational Intelligence. vol. 733.
- (2018) 6th international workshop on news recommendation and analytics (INRA 2018). CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2482.
- (2018) On the difficulties of using machine learning on industrial texts. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2316.
- (2017) Fake news detection: Network data from social media used to predict fakes. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2041.
- (2017) Design and Development of a Mobile Decision Support System: Guiding Clinicians Regarding Law in the Practice of Psychiatry in Emergency Department. Computer-Based Medical Systems. vol. 2017-June.
- (2017) Rethinking Conventional Collaborative Filtering for Recommending Daily Fashion Outfits. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1887.
- (2017) A joint model for analyzing topic and sentiment dynamics from large-scale online news. World wide web (Bussum).
- (2017) Investigating contextual ontologies and document corpus characteristics for information access in engineering settings. Journal of IT Cases and Applications. vol. 19 (1).
- (2017) Towards an understanding of fake news. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 2041.
- (2016) The Intricacies of Time in News Recommendation. CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1618.
- (2016) 4th international workshop on news recommendation and analytics (INRA 2016). CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1618.
- (2016) Third International Workshop on News Recommendation and Analytics (INRA). CEUR Workshop Proceedings. vol. 1542.