Background and activities
Phd in geography from NTNU (2007). Title of thesis: Deforestation and Conservation in Madagascar. Dominating discourses and local realities.
Main research interests: deforestaion, climate change, education for sustainable development, global citizenship, indigenous knowledge and social science/geography education. Extensive experience from research and academic collaboration in southern and eastern Africa (Tanzania, Madagascar, Namibia, Zambia, South Africa).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The receiving end: Namibian educators’ perceptions of international student exchange from the Global North. International Journal of Development Education and Global Learning. vol. 12 (1).
- (2020) Producing global awareness? An analysis of Norwegian pupils' negotiations of images in a museum exhibition. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 74 (2).
- (2019) Teacher education and international practice programmes: Reflections on transformative learning and global citizenship. Teaching and Teacher Education : An International Journal of Research and Studies. vol. 79.
- (2019) Narratives of nineteenth century drought in southern Africa in different historical source types. Climatic Change.
- (2019) Praksisstudier i fremmed land- bedre lærere i eget land?. Teoretiske og praktiske kunnskaper i lærerkvalifisering - sammenhenger og spenninger.
- (2019) The role of drought in agrarian crisis and social change: the famine of the 1890s in south-eastern Africa. Regional Environmental Change. vol. 19 (8).
- (2018) Climate, Conflict and Society: Changing Responses to Weather Extremes in Nineteenth Century Zululand. Environment and History. vol. 24 (3).
- (2018) Rainfall variability over Malawi during the late 19th century. International Journal of Climatology. vol. 38.
- (2017) Home-school relations and the role og indigenous knowledge in early literacy learning: A case study from a rural school in Zambia. Knowledge for Justice. Critical perspectives from southern African-Nordic research partnerships..
- (2017) Global bevissthet og interkulturell kompetanse hos lærerstudenter. Tidssignaler: Lærerutdanningsfag i utvikling: Utdanning av lærere på Hamar - 150 år.
- (2017) Can International Practicum Foster Intercultural Competence Among Teacher Students?. Journal of the European Teacher Education Network (JETEN). vol. 12 (1).
- (2016) Rainfall variability in present-day KwaZulu-Natal,South Africa, during the nineteenth Century. Quaternary International. vol. 404 (Part B).
- (2016) An investigation of student teachers’ professional development following a teaching placement in Southern Africa. Teacher education through partnerships and collaborative learning communities. Proceedings of the 40th annual ATEE Conference. Glasgow 2015.
- (2015) Tropical cyclone activity over Madagascar during the late nineteenth century. International Journal of Climatology. vol. 35 (11).
- (2015) Seasonal rainfall variability in southeast Africa during the nineteenth century reconstructed from documentary sources. Climatic Change.
- (2015) A World at Stake -Global Citizenship, Justice, and the Role of Museums. Responsible Living: Concepts, Education and Future Perspectives.
- (2015) Responsible Living: Concepts, Education and Future Perspectives. Springer. 2015. ISBN 9783319153049.