Background and activities
Research interests: Public policy and administration, and political economy, especially related to agriculture and fisheries.
Jostein Vik is an Associate professor in political science at NTNU, Department of sociology and political science. His research interests is located in the intersection between public policy and rural and regional political economy. Vik has an extensive publication on fishery policy, agriculture and food policy, as well as local development and entrepreneurship. Vik also has a broad teaching experience, having taught courses on Qualitative methods and research designs; EUs rural and regional political economy; Political economy; Comparative politics; Public policy and administration; International relations; and Political risk.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) The political robot – The structural consequences of automated milking systems (AMS) in Norway. NJAS - Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences. vol. 90-91.
- (2017) The chicken game-Organization and integration in the Norwegian agri-food sector. Research in Rural Sociology and Development. vol. 24.
- (2017) Food, farmers, and the future: Investigating prospects of increased food production within a national context. Land Use Policy. vol. 67.
- (2017) Biochar systems: Developing a socio-technical system framework for biochar production in Norway. Technology in society. vol. 51.
- (2017) The Social Robot: A Study of the Social and Political Aspects of Automatic Milking Systems. Proceedings in Food System Dynamics.
- (2017) Governance and growth - A case study of Norwegian whey protein concentrate exports. International Journal on Food System Dynamics. vol. 8 (4).
- (2017) Trading Growth - A Study of the Governance of Norwegian Whey Protein Concentrate Exports. Proceedings in Food System Dynamics.
- (2017) Embedded competence: A study of farmers' relation to competence and knowledge. Proceedings in Food System Dynamics.
- (2016) Food security in welfare capitalism: Comparing social entitlements to food in Australia and Norway. Journal of Rural Studies. vol. 43.
- (2013) Framing the environment - Disputes and developments in the management of Norwegian salmon fjords. Ocean and Coastal Management. vol. 71.
- (2013) Pushed or pulled? Understanding fishery exit in a welfare society context. Maritime Studies. vol. 12 (4).
- (2012) Development of local and regional forest based bioenergy in Norway - Supply networks, financial support and political commitment. Biomass & Bioenergy. vol. 47.
- (2011) Finanskrisens bakteppe - De nyliberale ideene og liberaliseringen på Island. Norsk Statsvitenskapelig Tidsskrift. vol. 27 (1).
- (2011) The Norwegian coastal employment system: What It Was and What It Is. Maritime Studies. vol. 10 (1).
- (2011) Diversification and the Entrepreneurial Motivations of Farmers in Norway. Journal of Small Business Management. vol. 49 (3).
- (2010) Books, Branding and Boundary Objects: On the Use of Image in Rural Development. Sociologia Ruralis. vol. 50 (2).
- (2009) Green care governance: between market, policy and intersecting social worlds. Journal of Health Organisation and Management. vol. 23 (5).
- (2008) Farmers as entrepreneurs: The case of farm-based tourism. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business (IJESB). vol. 6 (3).
- (2015) Norsk matmakt i endring. Fagbokforlaget. 2015. ISBN 978-82-450-1752-6.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Periferiens politiske økonomi i sentrum - nokre refleksjonar. Distriktsopprør. Periferien på nytt i sentrum..