Frank Alexander Kraemer
Background and activities
My current research interests are aligned around applying statistical methods and machine learning in the constrained settings of IoT systems.
- Norwegian Open Ai Lab
- NTNU IoT Lab
- Energy Efficient Computing Systems
- Autonomous, Adaptive Sensing
- Networking Research Group at IIK
- Gemini IoT
Current PhD students:
- Marija Gajic
- Faiga Alawad
- Abdulmajid Murad
- Anders Eivind Bråten
- Victor Wattin Håkansson (together with Stefan Werner and Ingelin Steinsland)
I am program responsible for the 5-year MSc in Communication Technology. (Norwegian: 5-årig Sivilingeniør/Masterprogram i Kommunikasjonsteknologi) and teach the following courses:
Selected Teaching Resources (for students)
Since 2018 I am excellent teaching practitioner (merittert underviser), and participate in the study program committee for university pedagogics.
In my teaching activities I try to use active learning and utilize some of our active learning spaces, especially by using Team-based learning or variants of it. See here a video of a talk about the TTM4115 course at Læringsfestivalen, or the corresponding article (in Norwegian).
My work applying TBL resulted in two learning modules that may be interesting for you:
- A 2-hour seminar about TBL that I offer around once or twice per year. (You can register your interest.)
- A 20-hour module about TBL as part of the pedagogic training program at NTNU.
Teaching Resources (for other teachers)
To help with my own teaching, I developed a few open-source programs that may be useful for some.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Adaptive, Correlation-Based Training Data Selection for IoT Device Management. 2019 Sixth International Conference on Internet of Things: Systems, Management and Security (IOTSMS).
- (2019) Cost-Aware Dual Prediction Scheme for Reducing Transmissions at IoT Sensor Nodes. 2019 27th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO).
- (2019) Energy-Accuracy Tradeoff for Efficient Noise Monitoring and Prediction in Working Environments. 9th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2019), October 22--25, 2019, Bilbao, Spain.
- (2019) Autonomous Management of Energy-Harvesting IoT Nodes Using Deep Reinforcement Learning. 2019 IEEE 13th International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems (SASO).
- (2019) IoT Sensor Gym: Training Autonomous IoT Devices with Deep Reinforcement Learning. 9th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2019), October 22--25, 2019, Bilbao, Spain.
- (2019) IoT Sensor Gym: Training Autonomous IoT Devices with Deep Reinforcement Learning (Poster). IoT 20019 ; 2019-10-22 - 2019-10-25.
- (2019) Machine Learning-based Occupancy Estimation Using Multivariate Sensor Nodes. 2018 IEEE Globecom Workshops Proceedings.
- (2018) Analysis and Visualization of Urban Emission Measurements in Smart Cities. International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT) ; Vienna. 2018-03-26 - 2018-03-29.
- (2018) Towards Cognitive IoT: Autonomous Prediction Model Selection for Solar-Powered Nodes. 2018 IEEE International Congress on Internet of Things (ICIOT).
- (2018) Towards Smart, Resource-Constrained Environmental Sensor Networks. European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2018 ; 2018-04-08 - 2018-04-13.
- (2017) Towards Cognitive Device Management: A Testbed to Explore Autonomy for Constrained IoT Devices. The 7th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2017) ; Linz. 2017-10-22 - 2017-10-25.
- (2017) Smarte sensorer overalt – hva vil det gjøre med oss?. Forskningskafe . NTNU; Trondheim. 2017-09-25 - 2017-09-27.
- (2017) Team-Based Learning: A Practical Approach for an Engineering Class. Læring om læring. vol. 1 (1).
- (2017) Solar Energy Prediction for Constrained IoT Nodes based on Public Weather Forecasts. The 7th International Conference on the Internet of Things - IoT 2017 . ACM; Linz. 2017-10-22 - 2017-10-25.
- (2017) Fog Computing in Healthcare – A Review and Discussion. IEEE Access. vol. 5.
- (2017) Energy Consumption Estimation for Energy-Aware, Adaptive Sensing Applications. Mobile Secure and Programmable Networking.
- (2016) A Measurement-Driven Approach to Understand Urban Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Nordic Cities. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2015) Block für Block zur IoT-Applikation. Eclipse Magazin.
- (2013) Model-Driven Engineering of Reliable Fault-Tolerant Systems-A State-of-the-Art Survey. Advances in Computers. vol. 91.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. 7th International Federated Conference on Distributed Computing Techniques (DAIS 2012) . KTH; Stockholm. 2012-06-13 - 2012-06-15.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 7272.
- (2012) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems. SIGPLAN notices. vol. 47 (3).
- (2011) A Tool-Supported Method for the Design and Implementation of Secure Distributed Applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 6542/2011.
- (2011) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Software engineering notes. vol. 36 (1).
- (2011) Engineering Android Applications based on UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 6981.
- (2011) Engineering Android Applications based on UML Activities. International Conference on Model Driven Engineering, Languages and Systems (Models) . ACM, IEEE, Victoria University of Wellington; Wellington. 2011-10-16 - 2011-10-21.
- (2011) System Analysis and Modeling: About Models. Springer. 2011. ISBN 978-3-642-21651-0. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (0302-9743).
- (2011) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems: A Method Exemplified by an Industrial Case Study. Tenth International Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering (GPCE 2011) ; Portland, Oregon. 2011-10-22 - 2011-10-23.
- (2011) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. Proceedings of the 2nd international Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010).
- (2010) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Third IEEE International Workshop UML and Formal Methods ; Shanghai. 2010-11-16 - 2010-11-16.
- (2010) Reactive Semantics for Distributed UML Activities. Joint 12th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference, FMOODS 2010, and 30th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference, FORTE 2010 . John Hatcliff and Elena Zucca; Amsterdam. 2010-06-07 - 2010-06-09.
- (2010) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. International Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010) . SERENE, ERCIM Working Group; London. 2010-04-15 - 2010-04-16.
- (2009) Towards the Integration of Security Aspects into System Development Using Collaboration-Oriented Models. 2009 International Conference on Security Technology (SecTech 2009) . Science and Engineering Research Support Center (SERSC); Jeju Island. 2009-12-10 - 2009-12-12.
- (2009) Automatic Generation of Compatible Interfaces from Partitioned UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 5719.
- (2009) Compositional Service Engineering with Arctis. Telektronikk. vol. 105 (1.2009).
- (2009) Automated Encapsulation of UML Activities for Incremental Development and Verification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 5795.
- (2009) Unified Modeling of Service Logic with User Interfaces. MOSE 2009 - INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON MODEL-DRIVEN SERVICE ENGINEERING ; 2009-11-06 - 2009-11-06.
- (2009) An Automated Method for Web Service Orchestration Based on Reusable Building Blocks. Web Services, 2009. ICWS 2009. IEEE International Conference on.
- (2009) Tool Support for the Rapid Composition, Analysis and Implementation of Reactive Services. Journal of Systems and Software. vol. 82 (12).
- (2008) Engineering Reactive Systems. A Compositional and Model-Driven Method Based on Collaborative Building Blocks. 2008. ISBN 978-82-471-1146-8. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2008:228).
- (2007) Design of Trusted Systems with Reusable Collaboration Models. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. vol. 238.
- (2007) Arctis and Ramses: Tool Suites for Rapid Service Engineering. Norsk Informatikkonferanse (NIK 2007).
- (2007) Synthesizing Components with Sessions from Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS).
- (2007) Synthesizing Components with Sessions from Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications. 13th SDL Forum . SDL Forum Society; Paris. 2007-09-18 - 2007-09-21.
- (2007) Formalizing Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications using Temporal Logic. Proceedings of the 2007 Networking and Electronic Conference (NAEC2007).
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. Electronic Communications of the EASST.
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. 6th International Workshop on Graph Transformation and Visual Modeling Techniques (GT-VMT 2007) ; Braga. 2007-03-31 - 2007-04-01.
- (2007) Engineering Support for UML Activities by Automated Model-Checking - An Example. 4th International Workshop on Rapid Integration of Software Engineering Techniques (RISE) . ERCIM Working Group; Luxembourg. 2007-11-26 - 2007-11-27.
- (2006) Collaboration-Oriented Service Engineering by means of Model Transformation. Meeting of the ERCIM Security and Trust Management Working Group . Fabio Martinelli; Hamburg. 2006-09-20 - 2006-09-21.
- (2006) Service Specification by Composition of Collaborations — An Example. 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence.
- (2005) Using UML 2.0 Collaborations for Compositional Service Specification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3713.
- (2004) Telecom Service Engineering with Eclipse. Eclipse Technology Exchange, ECOOP 2004 ; Oslo. 2004-06-15 - 2004-06-15.