Background and activities
I coordinate the NTNU Internet of Things Lab, and work in the interdisciplinary research group for Autonomous, Adaptive Sensing. My current research interests are aligned around applying statistical methods and machine learning in the constrained settings of Internet of Things systems.
- NTNU Internet of Things Lab
- Norwegian Open Ai Lab
- Energy Efficient Computing Systems
- Autonomous, Adaptive Sensing
Current PhD students:
- Abdulmajid Murad
- Victor Wattin Håkansson (together with Stefan Werner and Ingelin Steinsland)
- Anders Eivind Bråten
- Nattachart Tamkittikhun
I am responsible for the following courses:
And participate in the following teaching activities:
I use team-based learning in my courses. You can read an article about one of my courses here (in Norwegian). It’s an active learning form using flipped classroom principles. At Læringsfestivalen 2016 I gave a talk with practical tips for team-based learning together with Børge Lillebo. The slides are here (in Norwegian). Since many ask me about resources on team-based learning and tips, I collect some of them here. Courses are different and not everything will work for everyone, so I am careful when recommending anything. However, team-based learning is easy to try out. You will most probably observe its effect on your students within a single session. This happened in my case, and from then on I decided to continue. I recommend the following resources on team-based learning:
- Team-based Learning website. Lots of good resources and introduction material.
- A seminar on team-based learning, by Michael Sweet. Part 1 and Part 2. This is a long seminar on video, but worth every minute once you want to know more about the details.
- The book Team-Based Learning from Larry K. (EDT) Michaelsen, Arletta Bauman Knight, L. Dee Fink, 2004
- The book Team-Based Learning: Small-Group Learning’s Next Big Step from Larry K. Michaelsen, Michael Sweet, Dean X. Parmelee, 2009
- I wrote an article for Læringsfestivalen in Læring for Læring, Vol.1.1, 2017, available here. There is also a video of the corresponding talk.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Analysis and Visualization of Urban Emission Measurements in Smart Cities. International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT) ; Vienna. 2018-03-26 - 2018-03-29.
- (2018) Towards Cognitive IoT: Autonomous Prediction Model Selection for Solar-Powered Nodes. 2018 IEEE International Congress on Internet of Things (ICIOT).
- (2018) Towards Smart, Resource-Constrained Environmental Sensor Networks. European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2018 ; 2018-04-08 - 2018-04-13.
- (2017) Towards Cognitive Device Management: A Testbed to Explore Autonomy for Constrained IoT Devices. The 7th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2017) ; Linz. 2017-10-22 - 2017-10-25.
- (2017) Smarte sensorer overalt – hva vil det gjøre med oss?. Forskningskafe . NTNU; Trondheim. 2017-09-25 - 2017-09-27.
- (2017) Team-Based Learning: A Practical Approach for an Engineering Class. Læring om læring. vol. 1 (1).
- (2017) Solar Energy Prediction for Constrained IoT Nodes based on Public Weather Forecasts. The 7th International Conference on the Internet of Things - IoT 2017 . ACM; Linz. 2017-10-22 - 2017-10-25.
- (2017) Fog Computing in Healthcare – A Review and Discussion. IEEE Access. vol. 5.
- (2017) Energy Consumption Estimation for Energy-Aware, Adaptive Sensing Applications. Mobile Secure and Programmable Networking.
- (2016) A Measurement-Driven Approach to Understand Urban Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Nordic Cities. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2015) Block für Block zur IoT-Applikation. Eclipse Magazin.
- (2013) Model-Driven Engineering of Reliable Fault-Tolerant Systems-A State-of-the-Art Survey. Advances in Computers. vol. 91.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. 7th International Federated Conference on Distributed Computing Techniques (DAIS 2012) . KTH; Stockholm. 2012-06-13 - 2012-06-15.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7272.
- (2012) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems. SIGPLAN notices. vol. 47 (3).
- (2011) A Tool-Supported Method for the Design and Implementation of Secure Distributed Applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6542/2011.
- (2011) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Software engineering notes. vol. 36 (1).
- (2011) Engineering Android Applications based on UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6981.
- (2011) Engineering Android Applications based on UML Activities. International Conference on Model Driven Engineering, Languages and Systems (Models) . ACM, IEEE, Victoria University of Wellington; Wellington. 2011-10-16 - 2011-10-21.
- (2011) System Analysis and Modeling: About Models. Springer. 2011. ISBN 978-3-642-21651-0. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (0302-9743).
- (2011) Unified Modeling of Service Logic with User Interfaces. International journal of intelligent and cooperative information systems. vol. 20 (2).
- (2011) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems: A Method Exemplified by an Industrial Case Study. Tenth International Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering (GPCE 2011) ; Portland, Oregon. 2011-10-22 - 2011-10-23.
- (2011) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. Proceedings of the 2nd international Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010).
- (2010) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Third IEEE International Workshop UML and Formal Methods ; Shanghai. 2010-11-16 - 2010-11-16.
- (2010) Reactive Semantics for Distributed UML Activities. Joint 12th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference, FMOODS 2010, and 30th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference, FORTE 2010 . John Hatcliff and Elena Zucca; Amsterdam. 2010-06-07 - 2010-06-09.
- (2010) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. International Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010) . SERENE, ERCIM Working Group; London. 2010-04-15 - 2010-04-16.
- (2009) Towards the Integration of Security Aspects into System Development Using Collaboration-Oriented Models. 2009 International Conference on Security Technology (SecTech 2009) . Science and Engineering Research Support Center (SERSC); Jeju Island. 2009-12-10 - 2009-12-12.
- (2009) Automatic Generation of Compatible Interfaces from Partitioned UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 5719.
- (2009) Compositional Service Engineering with Arctis. Telektronikk. vol. 105 (1.2009).
- (2009) Automated Encapsulation of UML Activities for Incremental Development and Verification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 5795.
- (2009) Unified Modeling of Service Logic with User Interfaces. MOSE 2009 - INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON MODEL-DRIVEN SERVICE ENGINEERING ; 2009-11-06 - 2009-11-06.
- (2009) An Automated Method for Web Service Orchestration Based on Reusable Building Blocks. Web Services, 2009. ICWS 2009. IEEE International Conference on.
- (2009) Tool Support for the Rapid Composition, Analysis and Implementation of Reactive Services. Journal of Systems and Software. vol. 82 (12).
- (2008) Engineering Reactive Systems. A Compositional and Model-Driven Method Based on Collaborative Building Blocks. 2008. ISBN 978-82-471-1146-8. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2008:228).
- (2007) Design of Trusted Systems with Reusable Collaboration Models. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. vol. 238.
- (2007) Arctis and Ramses: Tool Suites for Rapid Service Engineering. Norsk Informatikkonferanse (NIK 2007).
- (2007) Synthesizing Components with Sessions from Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2007) Synthesizing Components with Sessions from Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications. 13th SDL Forum . SDL Forum Society; Paris. 2007-09-18 - 2007-09-21.
- (2007) Formalizing Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications using Temporal Logic. Proceedings of the 2007 Networking and Electronic Conference (NAEC2007).
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. Electronic Communications of the EASST.
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. 6th International Workshop on Graph Transformation and Visual Modeling Techniques (GT-VMT 2007) ; Braga. 2007-03-31 - 2007-04-01.
- (2007) Engineering Support for UML Activities by Automated Model-Checking - An Example. 4th International Workshop on Rapid Integration of Software Engineering Techniques (RISE) . ERCIM Working Group; Luxembourg. 2007-11-26 - 2007-11-27.
- (2006) Collaboration-Oriented Service Engineering by means of Model Transformation. Meeting of the ERCIM Security and Trust Management Working Group . Fabio Martinelli; Hamburg. 2006-09-20 - 2006-09-21.
- (2006) Service Specification by Composition of Collaborations — An Example. 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence.
- (2005) Using UML 2.0 Collaborations for Compositional Service Specification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 3713.
- (2004) Telecom Service Engineering with Eclipse. Eclipse Technology Exchange, ECOOP 2004 ; Oslo. 2004-06-15 - 2004-06-15.