Frank Alexander Kraemer
Frank Alexander Kraemer
Associate Professor; Deputy Head of Department, EducationDepartment of Information Security and Communication Technology Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
Background and activities
My current research interests are aligned around applying statistical methods and machine learning in the constrained settings of IoT systems.
- Norwegian Open Ai Lab
- NTNU IoT Lab
- Energy Efficient Computing Systems
- Autonomous, Adaptive Sensing
- Networking Research Group at IIK
- Gemini IoT
Current PhD students:
- Areeb Asad
- Marija Gajic
- Faiga Alawad
- Abdulmajid Murad
- Anders Eivind Bråten
- Sondre Ninive Andersen (together with Geir Mathisen)
- Victor Wattin Håkansson (together with Stefan Werner and Ingelin Steinsland)
I am Deputy Department Head for Education at IIK, study program council leader for information security and communication technology, and program responsible for the 5-year MSc in Communication Technology and Digital Security. (Norwegian: 5-årig Sivilingeniør/Masterprogram i Kommunikasjonsteknologi og digital sikkerhet) and teach the following courses:
- TTM4175 Introduction to Communication Technology and Digital Security
- TTM4115 Design of Communicating Systems
Selected Teaching Resources (for students)
Since 2018 I am excellent teaching practitioner (merittert underviser), and participate in the study program committee for university pedagogics.
In my teaching activities I try to use active learning and utilize some of our active learning spaces, especially by using Team-based learning or variants of it. See here a video of a talk about the TTM4115 course at Læringsfestivalen, or the corresponding article (in Norwegian).
My work applying TBL resulted in two learning modules that may be interesting for you:
- A 2-hour seminar about TBL that I offer around once or twice per year. (You can register your interest.)
- A 20-hour module about TBL as part of the pedagogic training program at NTNU.
Teaching Resources (for other teachers)
To help with my own teaching, I developed a few open-source programs that may be useful for some.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Autonomous IoT Device Management Systems: Structured Review and Generalized Cognitive Model. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. vol. 8 (6).
- (2020) Exploring the computational cost of machine learning at the edge for human-centric Internet of Things. Future generations computer systems. vol. 112.
- (2020) Operationalizing Solar Energy Predictions for Sustainable, Autonomous IoT Device Management. IEEE Internet of Things Journal. vol. 7 (12).
- (2020) Information-Driven Adaptive Sensing Based on Deep Reinforcement Learning. IoT '20: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on the Internet of Things.
- (2019) Adaptive, Correlation-Based Training Data Selection for IoT Device Management. 2019 Sixth International Conference on Internet of Things: Systems, Management and Security (IOTSMS).
- (2019) Cost-Aware Dual Prediction Scheme for Reducing Transmissions at IoT Sensor Nodes. 2019 27th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO).
- (2019) Energy-Accuracy Tradeoff for Efficient Noise Monitoring and Prediction in Working Environments. 9th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2019), October 22--25, 2019, Bilbao, Spain.
- (2019) Autonomous Management of Energy-Harvesting IoT Nodes Using Deep Reinforcement Learning. 2019 IEEE 13th International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems (SASO).
- (2019) IoT Sensor Gym: Training Autonomous IoT Devices with Deep Reinforcement Learning. 9th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2019), October 22--25, 2019, Bilbao, Spain.
- (2019) IoT Sensor Gym: Training Autonomous IoT Devices with Deep Reinforcement Learning (Poster). IoT 20019 ; 2019-10-22 - 2019-10-25.
- (2019) Machine Learning-based Occupancy Estimation Using Multivariate Sensor Nodes. 2018 IEEE Globecom Workshops Proceedings.
- (2018) Analysis and Visualization of Urban Emission Measurements in Smart Cities. International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT) ; Vienna. 2018-03-26 - 2018-03-29.
- (2018) Towards Cognitive IoT: Autonomous Prediction Model Selection for Solar-Powered Nodes. 2018 IEEE International Congress on Internet of Things (ICIOT).
- (2018) Towards Smart, Resource-Constrained Environmental Sensor Networks. European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2018 ; 2018-04-08 - 2018-04-13.
- (2017) Towards Cognitive Device Management: A Testbed to Explore Autonomy for Constrained IoT Devices. The 7th International Conference on the Internet of Things (IoT 2017) ; Linz. 2017-10-22 - 2017-10-25.
- (2017) Smarte sensorer overalt – hva vil det gjøre med oss?. Forskningskafe . NTNU; Trondheim. 2017-09-25 - 2017-09-27.
- (2017) Team-Based Learning: A Practical Approach for an Engineering Class. Læring om læring. vol. 1 (1).
- (2017) Solar Energy Prediction for Constrained IoT Nodes based on Public Weather Forecasts. The 7th International Conference on the Internet of Things - IoT 2017 . ACM; Linz. 2017-10-22 - 2017-10-25.
- (2017) Fog Computing in Healthcare – A Review and Discussion. IEEE Access. vol. 5.
- (2017) Energy Consumption Estimation for Energy-Aware, Adaptive Sensing Applications. Mobile Secure and Programmable Networking.
- (2016) A Measurement-Driven Approach to Understand Urban Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Nordic Cities. NIKT: Norsk IKT-konferanse for forskning og utdanning.
- (2015) Block für Block zur IoT-Applikation. Eclipse Magazin.
- (2013) Model-Driven Engineering of Reliable Fault-Tolerant Systems-A State-of-the-Art Survey. Advances in Computers. vol. 91.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. 7th International Federated Conference on Distributed Computing Techniques (DAIS 2012) . KTH; Stockholm. 2012-06-13 - 2012-06-15.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 7272.
- (2012) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems. SIGPLAN notices. vol. 47 (3).
- (2011) A Tool-Supported Method for the Design and Implementation of Secure Distributed Applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 6542/2011.
- (2011) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Software engineering notes. vol. 36 (1).
- (2011) Engineering Android Applications based on UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 6981.
- (2011) Engineering Android Applications based on UML Activities. International Conference on Model Driven Engineering, Languages and Systems (Models) . ACM, IEEE, Victoria University of Wellington; Wellington. 2011-10-16 - 2011-10-21.
- (2011) System Analysis and Modeling: About Models. Springer. 2011. ISBN 978-3-642-21651-0. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (0302-9743).
- (2011) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems: A Method Exemplified by an Industrial Case Study. Tenth International Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering (GPCE 2011) ; Portland, Oregon. 2011-10-22 - 2011-10-23.
- (2011) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. Proceedings of the 2nd international Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010).
- (2010) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Third IEEE International Workshop UML and Formal Methods ; Shanghai. 2010-11-16 - 2010-11-16.
- (2010) Reactive Semantics for Distributed UML Activities. Joint 12th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference, FMOODS 2010, and 30th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference, FORTE 2010 . John Hatcliff and Elena Zucca; Amsterdam. 2010-06-07 - 2010-06-09.
- (2010) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. International Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010) . SERENE, ERCIM Working Group; London. 2010-04-15 - 2010-04-16.
- (2009) Towards the Integration of Security Aspects into System Development Using Collaboration-Oriented Models. 2009 International Conference on Security Technology (SecTech 2009) . Science and Engineering Research Support Center (SERSC); Jeju Island. 2009-12-10 - 2009-12-12.
- (2009) Automatic Generation of Compatible Interfaces from Partitioned UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 5719.
- (2009) Compositional Service Engineering with Arctis. Telektronikk. vol. 105 (1.2009).
- (2009) Automated Encapsulation of UML Activities for Incremental Development and Verification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 5795.
- (2009) Unified Modeling of Service Logic with User Interfaces. MOSE 2009 - INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON MODEL-DRIVEN SERVICE ENGINEERING ; 2009-11-06 - 2009-11-06.
- (2009) An Automated Method for Web Service Orchestration Based on Reusable Building Blocks. Web Services, 2009. ICWS 2009. IEEE International Conference on.
- (2009) Tool Support for the Rapid Composition, Analysis and Implementation of Reactive Services. Journal of Systems and Software. vol. 82 (12).
- (2008) Engineering Reactive Systems. A Compositional and Model-Driven Method Based on Collaborative Building Blocks. 2008. ISBN 978-82-471-1146-8. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2008:228).
- (2007) Design of Trusted Systems with Reusable Collaboration Models. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. vol. 238.
- (2007) Arctis and Ramses: Tool Suites for Rapid Service Engineering. Norsk Informatikkonferanse (NIK 2007).
- (2007) Synthesizing Components with Sessions from Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS).
- (2007) Synthesizing Components with Sessions from Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications. 13th SDL Forum . SDL Forum Society; Paris. 2007-09-18 - 2007-09-21.
- (2007) Formalizing Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications using Temporal Logic. Proceedings of the 2007 Networking and Electronic Conference (NAEC2007).
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. Electronic Communications of the EASST.
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. 6th International Workshop on Graph Transformation and Visual Modeling Techniques (GT-VMT 2007) ; Braga. 2007-03-31 - 2007-04-01.
- (2007) Engineering Support for UML Activities by Automated Model-Checking - An Example. 4th International Workshop on Rapid Integration of Software Engineering Techniques (RISE) . ERCIM Working Group; Luxembourg. 2007-11-26 - 2007-11-27.
- (2006) Collaboration-Oriented Service Engineering by means of Model Transformation. Meeting of the ERCIM Security and Trust Management Working Group . Fabio Martinelli; Hamburg. 2006-09-20 - 2006-09-21.
- (2006) Service Specification by Composition of Collaborations — An Example. 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence.
- (2005) Using UML 2.0 Collaborations for Compositional Service Specification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3713.
- (2004) Telecom Service Engineering with Eclipse. Eclipse Technology Exchange, ECOOP 2004 ; Oslo. 2004-06-15 - 2004-06-15.