Background and activities
I coordinate the NTNU Internet of Things Lab, and work in the interdisciplinary research group for Autonomous, Adaptive Sensing. I am currently working on applying statistical methods and machine learning in the constrained settings of Internet of Things systems.
- NTNU Internet of Things Lab
- NTNU Telenor Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Energy Efficient Computing Systems
- Autonomous, Adaptive Sensing
Current PhD students:
- Victor Wattin Håkansson (together with Stefan Werner and Ingelin Steinsland)
- Anders Eivind Bråten
- Nattachart Tamkittikhun
I am responsible for the following courses:
And participate in the following teaching activities:
I use team-based learning in my courses. You can read an article about one of my courses here (in Norwegian). It’s an active learning form using flipped classroom principles. At Læringsfestivalen 2016 I gave a talk with practical tips for team-based learning together with Børge Lillebo. The slides are here (in Norwegian). Since many ask me about resources on team-based learning and tips, I collect some of them here. Courses are different and not everything will work for everyone, so I am careful when recommending anything. However, team-based learning is easy to try out. You will most probably observe its effect on your students within a single session. This happened in my case, and from then on I decided to continue. I recommend the following resources on team-based learning:
- Team-based Learning website. Lots of good resources and introduction material.
- A seminar on team-based learning, by Michael Sweet. Part 1 and Part 2. This is a long seminar on video, but worth every minute once you want to know more about the details.
- The book Team-Based Learning from Larry K. (EDT) Michaelsen, Arletta Bauman Knight, L. Dee Fink, 2004
- The book Team-Based Learning: Small-Group Learning’s Next Big Step from Larry K. Michaelsen, Michael Sweet, Dean X. Parmelee, 2009
- I wrote an article for Læringsfestivalen in Læring for Læring, Vol.1.1, 2017, available here. There is also a video of the corresponding talk.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Analysis and Visualization of Urban Emission Measurements in Smart Cities. International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT) ; Vienna. 2018-03-26 - 2018-03-29.
- (2017) Towards Cognitive Device Management: A Testbed to Explore Autonomy for Constrained IoT Devices. IoT 2017: the Seventh International Conference on the Internet of Things.
- (2017) Solar Energy Prediction for Constrained IoT Nodes based on Public Weather Forecasts. The 7th International Conference on the Internet of Things - IoT 2017 . ACM; Linz. 2017-10-22 - 2017-10-25.
- (2017) Fog Computing in Healthcare – A Review and Discussion. IEEE Access. vol. 5.
- (2017) Machine Learning in IoT for Autonomous, Adaptive Sensing. ERCIM News. vol. 2017 (110).
- (2017) Energy Consumption Estimation for Energy-Aware, Adaptive Sensing Applications. Mobile Secure and Programmable Networking.
- (2016) A Measurement-Driven Approach to Understand Urban Greenhouse Gas Emissions in Nordic Cities. NIK: Norsk Informatikkonferanse.
- (2015) Block für Block zur IoT-Applikation. Eclipse Magazin.
- (2015) Developing Robust IoT Gateway Applications from Building Blocks. Computing Systems Week . European Network of Excellence on High Performance and Embed; Oslo. 2015-05-04 - 2015-05-08.
- (2015) Creating Internet of Things Applications from Building Blocks. ERCIM News. vol. 101 (4).
- (2013) Model-Driven Engineering of Reliable Fault-Tolerant Systems-A State-of-the-Art Survey. Advances in Computers. vol. 91.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 7272.
- (2012) Behavioral Singletons to Consistently Handle Global States of Security Patterns. 7th International Federated Conference on Distributed Computing Techniques (DAIS 2012) . KTH; Stockholm. 2012-06-13 - 2012-06-15.
- (2012) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems. SIGPLAN notices. vol. 47 (3).
- (2011) A Tool-Supported Method for the Design and Implementation of Secure Distributed Applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6542/2011.
- (2011) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Software engineering notes. vol. 36 (1).
- (2011) Engineering Android Applications based on UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6981.
- (2011) System Analysis and Modeling: About Models. Springer. 2011. ISBN 978-3-642-21651-0. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (0302-9743).
- (2011) Unified Modeling of Service Logic with User Interfaces. International journal of intelligent and cooperative information systems. vol. 20 (2).
- (2011) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems: A Method Exemplified by an Industrial Case Study. Tenth International Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering (GPCE 2011) ; Portland, Oregon. 2011-10-22 - 2011-10-23.
- (2011) Towards Automatic Generation of Formal Specifications to Validate and Verify Reliable Distributed Systems: A Method Exemplified by an Industrial Case Study. Proceedings of the 10th ACM international conference on Generative programming and component engineering.
- (2011) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. Proceedings of the 2nd international Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010).
- (2010) Modeling a Distributed Intrusion Detection System Using Collaborative Building Blocks. Third IEEE International Workshop UML and Formal Methods ; Shanghai. 2010-11-16 - 2010-11-16.
- (2010) The ISIS Ecosystem – Towards an Integrated Solution to Internet of Things. 2010. ISBN 978-82-423-0624-1. FoU rapport (Telenor forskning og utvikling) (13).
- (2010) Reactive Semantics for Distributed UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2010) Towards a Model-Driven Method for Reliable Applications: From Ideal To Realistic Transmission Semantics. International Workshop on Software Engineering for Resilient Systems (SERENE 2010) . SERENE, ERCIM Working Group; London. 2010-04-15 - 2010-04-16.
- (2009) Towards the Integration of Security Aspects into System Development Using Collaboration-Oriented Models. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 58.
- (2009) Automatic Generation of Compatible Interfaces from Partitioned UML Activities. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 5719.
- (2009) Compositional Service Engineering with Arctis. Telektronikk. vol. 105 (1.2009).
- (2009) Automated Encapsulation of UML Activities for Incremental Development and Verification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 5795.
- (2009) Unified Modeling of Service Logic with User Interfaces. Proceeding of the first international workshop on Model driven service engineering and data quality and security 2009.
- (2009) An Automated Method for Web Service Orchestration based on Reusable Building Blocks. 7th IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS 2009) ; Los Angeles. 2009-07-06 - 2009-07-10.
- (2009) Tool Support for the Rapid Composition, Analysis and Implementation of Reactive Services. Journal of Systems and Software. vol. 82 (12).
- (2008) Engineering Reactive Systems. A Compositional and Model-Driven Method Based on Collaborative Building Blocks. 2008. ISBN 978-82-471-1146-8. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2008:228).
- (2007) Design of Trusted Systems with Reusable Collaboration Models. IFIP International Federation for Information Processing. vol. 238.
- (2007) Arctis and Ramses: Tool Suites for Rapid Service Engineering. Norsk Informatikkonferanse (NIK 2007).
- (2007) Synthesizing Components with Sessions from Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- (2007) Formalizing Collaboration-Oriented Service Specifications using Temporal Logic. Networking and Electronic Commerce Research Conference ; Lake Garda. 2007-10-18 - 2007-10-21.
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. Electronic Communications of the EASST.
- (2007) Transforming Collaborative Service Specifications into Efficiently Executable State Machines. 6th International Workshop on Graph Transformation and Visual Modeling Techniques (GT-VMT 2007) ; Braga. 2007-03-31 - 2007-04-01.
- (2007) Engineering Support for UML Activities by Automated Model-Checking - An Example. 4th International Workshop on Rapid Integration of Software Engineering Techniques (RISE) . ERCIM Working Group; Luxembourg. 2007-11-26 - 2007-11-27.
- (2006) Service Specification by Composition of Collaborations - An Example. International Workshop on Service Composition (Sercomp'06) . IEEE; Hong Kong. 2006-12-18.
- (2006) Aligning UML 2.0 State Machines and Temporal Logic for the Efficient Execution of Services. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 4276.
- (2006) Collaboration-Oriented Service Engineering by means of Model Transformation. Meeting of the ERCIM Security and Trust Management Working Group . Fabio Martinelli; Hamburg. 2006-09-20 - 2006-09-21.
- (2006) Modellbasierte Entwicklung von Kommunikationsdiensten an der NTNU. Jahrestreffen der GI-Fachgruppe FoMSESS . Maritta Heisel; Duisburg. 2006-06-12 - 2006-06-13.
- (2006) Service Specification by Composition of Collaborations — An Example. 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence.
- (2005) Using UML 2.0 Collaborations for Compositional Service Specification. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 3713.
- (2004) Telecom Service Engineering with Eclipse. Eclipse Technology Exchange, ECOOP 2004 ; Oslo. 2004-06-15 - 2004-06-15.