Kristin Y. Pettersen
Background and activities
Kristin Ytterstad Pettersen (1969) is a Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. She has a PhD and an MSc in Engineering Cybernetics from NTNU.
She is also a Key Scientist at the Center of Excellence: Autonomous marine operations and systems (NTNU AMOS) and an Adjunct Professor at the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI).
She is one of the founders of the company Eelume AS.
- Nonlinear control theory
- Motion control of mechanical systems, with a special emphasis on marine robotics and snake robotics
- Autonomous vehicles
- Cooperative and coordinated control of mechanical systems
- Underactuated and nonholonomic systems
- ERC-2020-AdG, European Research Council Advanced Grant.
- 2020 IEEE CSS Hendrik W. Bode Lecture Prize recipient.
- 2019-2022 Distinguished lecturer of the IEEE Control Systems Society.
- 2018, Appointed member of the Academy of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters.
- 2017, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award, for the paper: W. Caharija, K.Y. Pettersen, M. Bibuli, P. Calado, E. Zereik, J. Braga, J.T. Gravdahl, A.J. Sørensen, M. Milovanovic and G. Bruzzone, "Integral Line-of-Sight Guidance and Control of Underactuated Marine Vehicles: Theory, Simulations and Experiments”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 24, No. 5, 2016.
- 2017, Appointed IEEE Fellow
- 2013, Appointed member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences – NTVA
- 2006, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award, for the paper: K.Y. Pettersen, F. Mazenc and H. Nijmeijer, “Global Uniform Asymptotic Stabilization of an Underactuated Surface Vessel: Experimental Results”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 12, No.6, Nov. 2004.
Selected Research Projects
- 2021-2026 Principal Investigator. Project title: ERC AdG Control of light vehicle-manipulator systems (CRÈME). Funded by the European Research Council.
Budget: 2.5 MEUR.
- 2020-2025 Principal Investigator. Project title: NTNU VISTA Center for autonomous robotic operations subsea (CAROS). Funded by The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters and Equinor. Total budget: 45 MNOK.
- 2020-2023 Key Scientist. Project title: Autonomous Underwater Fleets: from AUVs to AUFs through adaptive communication and cooperation schemes. FRIPRO project funded by the Research Council of Norway. Project partners: NTNU and SINTEF. Budget: 14.6 MNOK.
- 2019-2023 Project Manager. Project title: Autonomous Robots for Ocean Sustainability (AROS). IKTPLUSS project funded by the Research Council of Norway. Budget: 21.5 MNOK.
- 2013-2022 Key scientist. Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (NTNU AMOS). Centre of excellence funded by the Research Council of Norway. Project Manager for Project 2: “Marine robotic platforms”.
Project partners: NTNU, SINTEF, Statoil, DNV. Total budget; 600 MNOK
- 2011-2015 Project Manager. Project title: Snake Locomotion in Challenging Environments (SLICE). FRITEK project funded by the Research Council of Norway. Project partners: NTNU and SINTEF. Budget; 13.9 MNOK
- 2009-2014 Project Manager. Project title: Control, Information and Communication Systems for Environmental and Safety Critical Systems (CICS). SUP project funded by the Research Council of Norway. Budget; 15 MNOK
- 2009-2014 Key Scientist. Project title: Next Generation Robotics for Norwegian Industry (NextGenRob). Project partners: SINTEF, NTNU, Statoil, Hydro, Tronrud Engineering, Glen Dimplex Nordic, SbSeating (HÅG) and RobotNorge. Budget; 36 MNOK
- 2015-2016 CEO and co-founder, Eelume AS
- 2014- Adjunct Professor, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2013-2023 Key Scientist, CoE for Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (NTNU AMOS)
- 2011-2013 Head of Department, Dept. Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2009-2011 Vice-head of Department, Dept. Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2010-2013 Director, NTNU Strategic area ICT Programme of Robotics
- 2008 Guest Professor, Section for Automation and Control, Aalborg University
- 2002- Professor, Department Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2001-2013 Scientific Advisor, SINTEF ICT
- 1999 Visiting Fellow, Dept. Mech. and Aerospace Eng., Princeton University, NJ
Selected Board/Council work
- 2022- Board member, IEEE Control Systems Society - Board of Governors
- 2020- European Control Association (EUCA) Council Member
- 2020- Vice-chair IFAC Membership Committee
- 2017- International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) Council member
- 2017-2020 Vice-chair IFAC Administration & Finance Committee
- 2016-2021 Board member, Eelume AS
- 2012-2014 Board member, IEEE Control Systems Society – Board of Governors
- 2011-2013 Vice-chairman, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2011-2013 Deputy board-member, Norwegian Smartgrid Centre
- 2010-2013 Deputy council member, SINTEF
- 2010- Board member, NTNU Applied Underwater Robotics Laboratory
- 2007-2011 Board member, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2008-2015 Council member, SINTEF Information and Communication Technology
- 2007-2011 Board member, NTNU/SINTEF Gemini centre of Advanced Robotics
Selected Editorial Work
- 2021- Associate editor, Field Robotics
- 2019- Senior Editor, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology
- 2015-2018 Review Editor, Robotic Control Systems, Frontiers in Robotics and Al
- 2012- Section Editor of “Control of Marine Vessels”, Encyclopedia of Systems and Control
- 2012-2015 Associate Editor, IEEE Control Systems Magazine
- 2010-2015 Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology
She has supervised 24 graduated PhD students and is currently supervising 18 PhD students.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Autonomous ROV inspections of aquaculture net pens using DVL. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering.
- (2021) MIMO Feedback Linearization of Redundant Robotic Systems Using Task-Priority Operational Space Control. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2021) Task-Priority Control of Redundant Robotic Systems using Control Lyapunov and Control Barrier Function based Quadratic Programs. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2021) Comparison of two second-order sliding mode control algorithms for an articulated intervention-AUV: Theory and experimental results. Ocean Engineering. vol. 222.
- (2021) Formation Path Following Control of Underactuated USVs. European Journal of Control.
- (2021) Reactive Collision Avoidance for Nonholonomic Vehicles in Dynamic Environments with Obstacles of Arbitrary Shape. IFAC-PapersOnLine.
- (2021) Vehicle Safety of the Velocity Obstacle Algorithm. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. Proceedings.
- (2021) Path Planning for UGVs Based on Traversability Hybrid A*. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters. vol. 6 (2).
- (2020) Combined Kinematic and Dynamic Control of Vehicle-Manipulator Systems. Mechatronics (Oxford). vol. 69.
- (2020) Tracking control of an articulated intervention autonomous underwater vehicle in 6DOF using generalized super-twisting: Theory and experiments. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 29 (1).
- (2020) Set-based collision avoidance applications to robotic systems. Mechatronics (Oxford). vol. 69.
- (2020) A 3D reactive collision avoidance algorithm for underactuated underwater vehicles. Journal of Field Robotics (JFR). vol. 37.
- (2019) Experimental Verification of a Coordinated Path-Following Strategy for Underactuated Marine Vehicles. Frontiers in Robotics and AI. vol. 6 (35).
- (2019) Tracking control of an articulated intervention AUV in 6DOF using the generalized super-twisting algorithm. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2019-July.
- (2019) Combined kinematic and dynamic control of an underwater swimming manipulator. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 52 (21).
- (2019) Path Following, Obstacle Detection and Obstacle Avoidance for Thrusted Underwater Snake Robots. Frontiers in Robotics and AI. vol. 6.
- (2019) Economic model predictive control for snake robot locomotion. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. Proceedings.
- (2019) AUV guidance and docking using a convolutional neural network. IFAC Journal of Systems and Control.
- (2019) Path planning and guidance for underactuated vehicles with limited field-of-view. Ocean Engineering. vol. 174.
- (2019) Collision Avoidance for Underactuated Marine Vehicles Using the Constant Avoidance Angle Algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology. vol. 28 (3).