Kristin Y. Pettersen
Background and activities
Kristin Ytterstad Pettersen (1969) is a Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. She has a PhD and an MSc in Engineering Cybernetics from NTNU.
She is also a Key Scientist at the Center of Excellence: Autonomous marine operations and systems (NTNU AMOS) and an Adjunct Professor at the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI).
She is one of the founders of the company Eelume AS, where she is currently a board member.
- Nonlinear control theory
- Motion control of mechanical systems, in particular ships, AUVs, robot manipulators and snake robots
- Autonomous vehicles
- Cooperative and coordinated control of mechanical systems
- Underactuated and nonholonomic systems
Selected Research Projects
- 2019-2023 Project Manager. Project title: Autonomous Robots for Ocean Sustainability (AROS). IKTPLUSS project funded by the Research Council of Norway. Budget: 21.5 MNOK.
- 2013-2022 Key scientist. Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (NTNU AMOS). Centre of excellence funded by the Research Council of Norway. Project Manager for Project 2: “Marine robotic platforms”.
Project partners: NTNU, SINTEF, Statoil, DNV. Total budget; 600 MNOK
- 2011-2015 Project Manager. Project title: Snake Locomotion in Challenging Environments (SLICE). FRITEK project funded by the Research Council of Norway. Project partners: NTNU and SINTEF. Budget; 13.9 MNOK
- 2009-2014 Project Manager. Project title: Control, Information and Communication Systems for Environmental and Safety Critical Systems (CICS). SUP project funded by the Research Council of Norway. Budget; 15 MNOK
- 2009-2014 Key Scientist. Project title: Next Generation Robotics for Norwegian Industry (NextGenRob). Project partners: SINTEF, NTNU, Statoil, Hydro, Tronrud Engineering, Glen Dimplex Nordic, SbSeating (HÅG) and RobotNorge. Budget; 36 MNOK
Recent work experience
- 2015-2016 CEO and co-founder, Eelume AS
- 2014- Adjunct Professor, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2013-2022 Key Scientist, CoE for Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (NTNU AMOS)
- 2011-2013 Head of Department, Dept. Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2009-2011 Vice-head of Department, Dept. Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2010-2013 Director, NTNU Strategic area ICT Programme of Robotics
- 2008 Guest Professor, Section for Automation and Control, Aalborg University
- 2002- Professor, Department Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
- 2001-2013 Scientific Advisor, SINTEF ICT
- 1999 Visiting Fellow, Dept. Mech. and Aerospace Eng., Princeton University, NJ
Recent Board/Council work
- 2020- European Control Association (EUCA) Council Member
- 2017- International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) Council member
- 2017- Vice-chair IFAC Administration & Finance Committee
- 2016- Board member, Eelume AS
- 2012-2014 Board member, IEEE Control Systems Society – Board of Governors
- 2011-2013 Vice-chairman, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2011-2013 Deputy board-member, Norwegian Smartgrid Centre
- 2010-2013 Deputy council member, SINTEF
- 2010- Board member, NTNU Applied Underwater Robotics Laboratory
- 2007-2011 Board member, Norwegian Defence Research Establishment (FFI)
- 2008-2015 Council member, SINTEF Information and Communication Technology
- 2007-2011 Board member, NTNU/SINTEF Gemini centre of Advanced Robotics
- 2019- Senior editor, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology
- 2015-2018 Review Editor, Robotic Control Systems, Frontiers in Robotics and Al
- 2012- Section Editor of “Control of Marine Vessels”, Encyclopedia of Systems and Control
- 2012-2015 Associate Editor, IEEE Control Systems Magazine
- 2010-2015 Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology
- 2008-2009 Member of the Editorial Board Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory
- 2009-2011 Associate Editor, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation Shanghai, China 2011, Anchorage, Alaska 2010, and Kobe, Japan 2009
- 2020 Hendrik W. Bode Lecture Prize recipient.
- 2019-2022 Distinguished lecturerer of the IEEE Control Systems Society.
- 2018, Appointed member of the Academy of the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters.
- 2017, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award, for the paper: W. Caharija, K.Y. Pettersen, M. Bibuli, P. Calado, E. Zereik, J. Braga, J.T. Gravdahl, A.J. Sørensen, M. Milovanovic and G. Bruzzone, "Integral Line-of-Sight Guidance and Control of Underactuated Marine Vehicles: Theory, Simulations and Experiments”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 24, No. 5, 2016.
- 2017, Appointed IEEE Fellow
- 2013, Appointed member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences – NTVA
- 2006, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology Outstanding Paper Award, for the paper: K.Y. Pettersen, F. Mazenc and H. Nijmeijer, “Global Uniform Asymptotic Stabilization of an Underactuated Surface Vessel: Experimental Results”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, Vol. 12, No.6, Nov. 2004
- 2004, Senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- 1993, Norwegian Research Council Personal Doctoral Research Fellowship
Membership in Academic and Professional Organizations and Committees
- 2015-2017 Member of IFAC Technical Committee on Mechatronics
- 2014-2015 Member of European Research Council Consolidator Grants Evaluation Panel PE7, Systems and Communication Engineering
- 2014 Member of the Evaluation Committee of the ARGOS challenge Total / Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR)
- 2012-2016 Member of the leader group of NTNU IME Lighthouse Project Robotics
- 2011-2016 Member IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Technical Committee on Space Robotics
- 2009-2013 Member of the leader group of NTNU Strategic Area ICT, TSO ICT
She has supervised 23 graduated doctoral candidates, and is currently supervising 7 PhD candidates.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Experimental Verification of a Coordinated Path-Following Strategy for Underactuated Marine Vehicles. Frontiers in Robotics and AI. vol. May.
- (2019) Tracking control of an articulated intervention AUV in 6DOF using the generalized super-twisting algorithm. American Control Conference (ACC). vol. 2019-July.
- (2019) Combined kinematic and dynamic control of an underwater swimming manipulator. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 52 (21).
- (2019) Path Following, Obstacle Detection and Obstacle Avoidance for Thrusted Underwater Snake Robots. Frontiers in Robotics and AI.
- (2019) Economic model predictive control for snake robot locomotion. IEEE Conference on Decision and Control. Proceedings.
- (2019) AUV guidance and docking using a convolutional neural network. IFAC journal of systems and control.
- (2019) Path planning and guidance for underactuated vehicles with limited field-of-view. Ocean Engineering. vol. 174.
- (2019) Collision Avoidance for Underactuated Marine Vehicles Using the Constant Avoidance Angle Algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology.
- (2019) Path following control for articulated intervention-AUVs using geometric control of reduced attitude. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 52 (16).
- (2018) Trajectory tracking for underwater swimming manipulators using a super twisting algorithm. Asian journal of control. vol. 21 (1).
- (2018) Trajectory tracking for an articulated intervention AUV using a super-twisting algorithm in 6 DOF. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).
- (2018) Semiglobal exponential stability of a counter-current and co-current guidance scheme. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 51 (29).
- (2018) Locomotion efficiency optimization of biologically inspired snake robots. Applied Sciences. vol. 8 (1).
- (2018) Experimental investigation of locomotion efficiency and path-following for underwater snake robots with and without a caudal fin. Annual Reviews in Control.
- (2018) Set-Based Control for Autonomous Spray Painting. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering. vol. 15 (4).
- (2018) Trajectory Tracking and Path Following for Underactuated Marine Vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology.
- (2018) Model-Based Identification of Nanomechanical Properties in Atomic Force Microscopy: Theory and Experiments. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology.
- (2018) The underwater swimming manipulator — A bioinspired solution for subsea operations. IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering. vol. 43 (2).
- (2017) Integral Line-of-Sight Guidance for Path Following Control of Underwater Snake Robots: Theory and Experiments. IEEE Transactions on Robotics. vol. 33 (3).
- (2017) An Experimental Investigation of Path Following for an Underwater Snake Robot with a Caudal Fin. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 50 (1).