Background and activities
I do research on sickness absence and interventions to increase return to work for individuals sick-listed due to musculoskeletal complaints and common mental health disorders. Other areas I work on is work and health, and physical activity.
My PhD was on a part of the Hysnes project. A large project evaluating the effects of inpatient occupational rehabilitation through three RCTs. I now work at the Department of Public Health and Nursing as a researcher, where I also head the research group Work and Health.
My background is medicine (physician) with a specialization in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. I hold an adjunct position at Unicare Helsefort Rehabilitation center as a physician and R&D leader. The rehabilitation center have patients with chronic pain, stroke, traumatic brain injury, obesity and CFS/ME.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Genetic variants related to physical activity or sedentary behaviour: a systematic review. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. vol. 18:15.
- (2021) Two‑Year Follow‑Up of a Randomized Clinical Trial of Inpatient Multimodal Occupational Rehabilitation Vs Outpatient Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Sick Listed Workers with Musculoskeletal or Common Mental Disorders. Journal of occupational rehabilitation.
- (2021) Barriers and Facilitators for Implementing Motivational Interviewing as a Return to Work Intervention in a Norwegian Social Insurance Setting: A Mixed Methods Process Evaluation. Journal of occupational rehabilitation.
- (2021) Return to work self-efficacy after occupational rehabilitation for musculoskeletal- and common mental health disorders: secondary outcomes of a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine.
- (2021) Health, Work, and Family Strain – Psychosocial Experiences at the Early Stages of Long-Term Sickness Absence. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2021) Workplace flexibility important for part-time sick leave selection—an exploratory cross-sectional study of long-term sick listed in Norway. BMC Public Health.
- (2020) Effectiveness of a resistance training program on physical function, muscle strength, and body composition in community-dwelling older adults receiving home care: A cluster-randomized controlled trial. European Review of Aging and Physical Activity. vol. 17.
- (2020) Sick-listed workers’ experiences with motivational interviewing in the return to work process: a qualitative interview study. BMC Public Health. vol. 20 (276).
- (2020) Inpatient multimodal occupational rehabilitation reduces sickness absence among individuals with musculoskeletal and common mental health disorders: a randomized clinical trial. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health. vol. 46 (4).
- (2020) Professionals’ perceptions of the establishment of a specialized brief therapy unit in a district psychiatric centre - a qualitative study. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 20 (1).
- (2020) Subgroups of long-term sick-listed based on prognostic return to work factors across diagnoses – A cross-sectional latent class analysis. Journal of occupational rehabilitation.
- (2019) Is there really a “golden hour” for work disability interventions? A narrative review. Disability and Rehabilitation. vol. 42 (4).
- (2019) Changes in fear-avoidance beliefs and work participation after occupational rehabilitation for musculoskeletal- and common mental disorders: secondary outcomes of two randomized clinical trials. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 51 (3).
- (2019) What should be the preferred exercise modality for overweight and obese individuals? Protocol for a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Systematic Reviews. vol. 8 (41).
- (2019) The Fear Avoidance Beliefs Questionnaire (FABQ) Does it really measure fear beliefs?. Spine. vol. 45 (2).
- (2019) Physical activity after inpatient occupational rehabilitation: secondary outcomes of two randomized controlled trials. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports.
- (2019) Effectiveness of adding a workplace intervention to an inpatient multimodal occupational rehabilitation program: A randomized clinical trial. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health.
- (2018) Motivational interviewing in long-term sickness absence: study protocol of a randomized controlled trial followed by qualitative and economic studies. BMC Public Health. vol. 18 (756).
- (2018) Improved expectations about length of sick leave during occupational rehabilitation is associated with increased work participation. Journal of occupational rehabilitation.
- (2018) Design of a study evaluating the effects, health economics, and stakeholder perspectives of a multi-component occupational rehabilitation program with an added workplace intervention - A study protocol. BMC Public Health. vol. 18 (219).