Lucy Clementine Joyce Chamberlin
Background and activities
Lucy Chamberlin's PhD project addresses the issue of how communication can be applied to user behavioural change in the context of a circular economy. It involves examining the role of users and consumers in transforming product and service systems, what the existing literature says about the necessary factors for accepting such new practices, and how communication might be seen as a tool for adaptation. It reviews some theories of communication as a social practice and means of structuration or behavior change, looking at these specifically in relation to the world of business marketing and advertising, and applying the findings to the context of user behavior change for a circular economy. The project also analyses marketing communications and methods currently being used by businesses in order to sell circular economy services, conducting empirical research into communication practices that influence consumption and use decisions, designing participative studies and gathering data through direct interaction with user groups. Ultimately, it will provide a framework for business of consideration factors in designing communications for circular economy products and services.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Marketing Approaches for a Circular Economy: Using Design Frameworks to Interpret Online Communications. Sustainability. vol. 10 (6).
- (2018) Dimensions of behaviour change in the context of designing for a circular economy. The Design Journal. vol. 21 (4).
- (2019) Spark Joy and Slow Acquisition: the KonMari Method and its Impact on Moments of Consumption PLATE Product Lifetimes And The Environment 2019 – Conference Proceedings. 2019. ISBN 978-3-7983-3124-2.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Consumers in the circular economy. Handbook of the Circular Economy.
- (2018) FRACTURES IN THE FACULTY: THE STATE OF SUSTAINABLE DESIGN TEACHING IN THE UK. Proceedings of E&PDE 2018 - 20th International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, Diversity or Conformity, Dyson School of Engineering, Imperial College, London. 6th - 7th September 2018.
- (2017) Dimensions of sustainable behaviour in a circular economy context. PLATE: Product Lifetimes And The Environment.