Background and activities
Lucy is a postdoctoral researcher in the sociology of sport. Her research is broadly focused on issues of equality, diversity and inclusion in and through sport. Lucy's postdoctoral research project is focusing on gender equity in the governance of the sport for development and peace (SDP) sector. This involves mapping female representation across the governance of the sector and exploring the gendered experiences and perceptions of senior leaders within transnational SDP organisations.
Lucy obtained her PhD from the University of Chichester, UK. The focus of the research was gender equity in English sport governance. During her time at the University of Chichester, Lucy was closely involved in the organisation of the Anita White Foundation (AWF) and its key projects, including acting as coordinator of the Women's Sport Leadership Academy. In her previous role as Research Fellow at the University of Hertfordshire, Lucy managed the Women's Sport Leadership Academy for High Performance Coaches. Lucy continues to act as an advisor to the AWF.
Lucy has worked on a number of funded research projects related to equality, diversity and inclusion in sport. This includes assessing the state of gender equity and gender action in international sport governance (funded by UK Sport), the tailoring of soccer referee development for the women's game (funded by the English Football Association), an evaluation of the impacts and challenges of community sport groups in the UK becoming more inclusive and accessible for girls (funded by Sported), and a review of literature and policy relating to transgender, intersex and non-binary people in sport and physical activity (funded by the University of Hertfordshire and supported by the Sport and Recreation Alliance).
Lucy is currently co-editing a book on gender equity in UK sport governance to be published in 2021.
Piggott, L. & Pike, E. (2019). “CEO Equals Man”: Gender and Informal Organisational Practices in English Sport Governance, International Review for the Sociology of Sport. DOI: 10.1177/1012690219865980
Piggott, L., Pike, E. & Matthews, J. (2019). England: A ‘Sporting Future’ for All? In A. Elling, J. Hovden & A. Knoppers (Eds.), Gender Diversity in European Sport Governance (pp. 105-116). Oxon: Routledge.
Pike, E., White, A., Matthews, J., Southon, S. & Piggott, L. (2018). Women and Sport Leadership: A Case Study of a Development Programme. In L. Mansfield, J. Caudwell, R. Watson & B. Wheaton (Eds.), The Palgrave Handbook of Feminisms in Sport, Leisure and Physical Education (pp. 809- 823). London: Palgrave MacMillan.
Matthews, J. and Piggott, L. (2021) Is gender on the international agenda? Gender representation and policy in international sport governance. Commissioned by UK Sport.
Piggott, L. (2020). Transgender, intersex and non-binary people in sport and physical activity: A review of research and policy. Commissioned by University of Hertfordshire.
Datson, N., Everley, S. Greenlees, I, and Piggott, L. (2020). Tailoring Referee Development for the Women's Game. Commissioned by The English Football Association.
Piggott, L. and Pike, E. (2020). An evaluation of the impacts and challenges of community sport groups becoming more inclusive and accessible for girls. Commissioned by Sported.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2021) “You only go from what you know”: the reproduction, resistance and evolution of gendered recruitment and selection processes in English sport governance. European Journal for Sport and Society (EJSS).
- (2020) A demographic analysis of UK adventure sports coaches. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning.
- (2020) Gender, Leadership, and Governance in English National Governing Bodies of Sport: Formal Structures, Rules, and Processes. Journal of Sport Management. vol. 35 (4).
- (2022) Gender Equity in UK Sport Leadership and Governance. Emerald Group Publishing Limited. 2022. ISBN 9781800432079.
Part of book/report
- (2022) Past, Present, Future: Policy and Gender Equity in English Sport Leadership and Governance. Gender Equity in UK Sport Leadership and Governance.
- (2022) The Sport Intersectional Model of Power (SIMP) as a tool for understanding intersectionality in sport governance and leadership. Gender Equity in UK Sport Leadership and Governance.
- (2022) Introduction. Gender Equity in UK Sport Leadership and Governance.
- (2021) Gender Policy in Sport Governance: A Comparison of Norway and England. Idrett, kjønn og ledelse.
- (2021) Gender and social inequity in and through sport leadership. Research Handbook on Sports and Society.