Background and activities
I am involved in teaching the following courses:
- TDT4255 Computer Design
- TDT4295 Computer Design Project
- DT8105 Computer Architecture 2
I also supervise project and master thesis topics within computer architecture and design. Current project and master thesis topics are available at IDIs web pages. I often co-supervise projects and masters with local and national industry partners such as ARM, Nordic Semiconductor and Silicon Labs (formerly Energy Micro).
The topics and reports of my supervised master theses can be found on NTNU Open.
My main research area is memory systems for Chip Multiprocessors (CMPs). CMPs are often referred to as multi-core architectures. In addition, I am interested in heterogeneous computer systems, energy efficiency, computer architecture simulation, compilers and system software. I am currently serving as the deputy head of the Computing research group.
I am currently involved in the following research projects:
- Work Package leader in the EU Horizon 2020 project Towards Ubiquitous Low-power Image Processing Platforms (TULIPP)
- Project Manager and PI for the Energy efficient high Performance computing research InfrastruCture (EPIC) project
- Principal investigator for the Reducing Power Consumption in Microprocessors (RPCM) project with Trondheim SME MyWo AS
I currently supervise/mentor the following PhD students and post docs:
- Nico Reissmann (main supervisor)
- Björn Gottschall (main supervisor)
- Dr. Asbjørn Djupdal (mentor)
- Benjamin Bjørnseth (co-supervisor)
- Even Låte (co-supervisor)
- Lahiru Rasnayake (co-supervisor)
- Mostafa Koraei (guest researcher)
I have supervised/metored the following PhD students and post docs:
- Main supervisor for Dr. Yaman Umuroglu (2012-2018), next employer Xilinx
- Co-supervisor for Dr. Yahya Yassin (2012-2018), next employer Mode Sensors
- Mentor for Dr. Ananya Muddukrishna (2016-2018), next employer ÅF
- Mentor for Dr. Mohammed Sourori (2015-2017), next employer Accenture
- Co-supervisor for Dr. Odd Rune Strømmen Lykkebø (2012-2017), next employer Nnaisense
- Mentor for Post doc. Dr. Juan Manuel Cebrian (2012-2014), next employer UPC/BSC
- Mentor for Post doc. Dr. Nikita Nikitin (2013-2014), next employer Mentor Graphics
- Informal co-supervisor for Dr. Alexandru Ciprian Iordan (2008-2017), next employer ARM
The following papers are in press:
- Yuxi Liu, Xia Zhao, Magnus Jahre, Zhenlin Wang, Xiaolin Wang, Yingwei Luo and Lieven Eeckhout, "Get Out of the Valley: Power-Efficient Address Mapping for GPUs", To appear in the International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), 2018
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) GDP: Using Dataflow Properties to Accurately Estimate Interference-Free Performance at Runtime. High-Performance Computer Architecture.
- (2018) Supporting Utilities for Heterogeneous Embedded Image Processing Platforms (STHEM): An Overview. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10824.
- (2018) Developing Low-Power Image Processing Applications with the TULIPP Reference Platform Instance. Hardware Accelerators in Data Centers.
- (2017) Extending OMPT to Support Grain Graphs. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 10468 LNCS.
- (2017) The READEX formalism for automatic tuning for energy efficiency. Computing. vol. 99 (8).
- (2017) Scaling Binarized Neural Networks on Reconfigurable Logic. Proceedings of the 8th Workshop and 6th Workshop on Parallel Programming and Run-Time Management Techniques for Many-core Architectures and Design Tools and Architectures for Multicore Embedded Computing Platforms.
- (2017) DTP: Enabling Exhaustive Exploration of FPGA Temporal Partitions for Streaming HPC Applications. International Symposium on Highly Efficient Accelerators and Reconfigurable Technologies (HEART).
- (2016) Random access schemes for efficient FPGA SpMV acceleration. Microprocessors and microsystems. vol. 47B.
- (2015) Perfect Reconstructability of Control Flow from Demand Dependence Graphs. ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization (TACO). vol. 11 (4).
- (2015) ParVec: vectorizing the PARSEC benchmark suite. Computing. vol. 97 (11).
- (2015) Tuning the victim selection policy of Intel TBB. Journal of systems architecture. vol. 61 (10).
- (2014) A study of energy and locality effects using space-filling curves. Proceedings, International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS).
- (2013) Challenges of Reducing Cycle-Accurate Simulation Time for TBP Applications. Procedia Computer Science. vol. 18.
- (2011) Exploring the Prefetcher/Memory Controller Design Space: An Opportunistic Prefetch Scheduling Strategy. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 6566.
- (2011) Storage Efficient Hardware Prefetching using Delta-Correlating Prediction Tables. Journal of Instruction-Level Parallelism. vol. 13.
- (2011) Computational computer architecture. META.
- (2010) Multi-level Hardware Prefetching Using Low Complexity Delta Correlating Prediction Tables with Partial Matching. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 5 (1).
- (2010) DIEF: An Accurate Interference Feedback Mechanism for Chip Multiprocessor Memory Systems. Lecture Notes in Computer Science.