Maria I. M. Febri
Background and activities
Maria I.M. Febri is an Associate Professor at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Department of Teacher Education, Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences, in Trondheim, Norway.
She has a PhD degree from University Grenoble I, France, in physics, materials science and structure, in the subject of synthesis and characterization of rare earth based magnetic alloys. In her subsequent career, she worked for five years as researcher in Material Science Research Center in BATAN, Jakarta, Indonesia, her home country, continuing the development of new, advanced magnetic materials. She has had experience in coordinating a research team and being a member of referee committee. Since 2007 and after the pedagogy study (PPU) in NTNU, Maria I.M. Febri has gone into teaching career in Norway where she now lives. She has had teaching experience in mathematics and physics at various level, high school and teacher education at university. Since 2012, she has been working as teacher educator and researcher at Sør-Trøndelag University College which, after merging with NTNU in 2016, now become Department of Teacher Education, ILU-NTNU. She teaches physics, physics education and science education at pre-service and in-service teachers, at bachelor and master level. She supervises master students (2017-now) and a PhD candidate (2019-22). She has in addition being involved in teacher professional development and school based development as part of her research in science education.
Maria I.M. Febri has been a team member in the development of science teacher-training curriculum, included courses for initial teacher training, further education for in-service teachers, and master courses in science education.
She is member of the International Centre for STEM Education (ICSE) consortium (https://icse.eu/) and has taken and is taking part in several EU funded projects:
- MOST - Meaningful Open Schooling Connects Schools to Communities. Horizon2020. 2020-2023 (ongoing).
- Erasmus+ project IncluSMe: Intercultural learning in mathematics and science initial teacher education (2016-19) where she was NTNU's team leader.
- PRIMAS (Promoting Inquiry in Mathematics and Science education across Europe), 2010-13, https://primas-project.eu/modules/modules-english/
- mascil (Mathematics and Science for life),2013-16, https://mascil-project.ph-freiburg.de/
- FaSMEd (Formative Assessment in Science and Mathematics Education), 2014-16, https://research.ncl.ac.uk/fasmed/
- member of European Impact Board (EIB) for EU project MaSDiV, https://icse.eu/international-projects/masdiv/, 2017-2020, a university-ministry tandem project on development, implementation and dissemination of teacher professional development modules related to intercultural learning.
Her current research is within the scope of:
- MOST-project (see above)
- CriThiSE - Critical Thinking in Science Education, 2020-2023. https://www.ntnu.no/ilu/crithise (ongoing)
- The literacy project (Literacy og faglighet i skole og arbeidsliv) (ILU, NTNU), 2016 - 2023. https://www.ntnu.no/ilu/literacy
More specifically on Scientific literacy
- Physics education (ILU, NTNU), 2016-2019. Inquiry based learning and conceptual understanding
Maria I.M. Febri is member of the research groups:
- Lesson design study and teaching resources https://www.ntnu.edu/ilu/lesson-design-study-teaching-resources'
- Naturfaglig literacy i skolen og lærerutdanning https://www.ntnu.no/ilu/naturfaglig-literacy
Main research interests within Science Education/ Physics Education:
-Inquiry Based Learning and Conceptual Understanding
-Inquiry Based Learning and Scientific Literacy
-Teacher professional development
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2002) Aplikasi Resin Poliester and Epoksi dalam Pengembangan Rigid Bonded Magnet. Indonesian Journal of Materials Science. vol. 3 (2).
- (2000) The effect of low-temperature vacuum annealing on Terfenol-D made by the reduction-diffusion method. Indonesian Journal of Materials Science. vol. 1 (2).
- (2000) VIBRATING SAMPLE MAGNETOMETER (VSM)TIPE OXFORD VSM1.2H. Seminar Nasional Bahan Magnet.
- (1999) Komposit Magnetostriktif Terfenol-D Berperekat Resin Epoksi. Indonesian Journal of Materials Science. vol. 1 (1).
- (1998) Preliminary Investigation of Magnetostriction of Terfenol-D Composite made of Powder Obtained by the RD Method. Prosiding Pertemuan Ilmiah Sains Materi III.
- (1998) Resin Epoksi Sebagai Matriks dalam Komposit Magnetostriktif. Prosiding SemNas VII Kimia dalam Industri dan Lingkungan.
- (1998) Medium and High Frequency Applications of Magnetic Materials. Prosiding Pertemuan Ilmiah Sains Materi III.
- (1997) Sintesis paduan Nd2Fe14B dengan metoda kimiawi reduksi-difusi. Prosiding Seminar Sains dan Teknologi Nuklir.
- (1997) A Low Temperature Route for the Synthesis of Rare Earth Transition Metal Borides and Their Hydrides. Journal of Solid State Chemistry. vol. 133 (1).
- (1996) A new method of nitrogenation of M2Fe17 powder alloy via chemical reaction with sodium azide (NaN3) as a nitrogen source (M = Y or Ln). Journal of Materials Chemistry. vol. 6.
- (1996) Synthesis of soft ferromagnetic nanocomposites by controlled diffusion-segregation in Nd2(Fe,Co)14B. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 157/158.
- (1996) A new method of nitrogenation of RE-TM alloys via chemical reaction with sodium azide as an oxygen-free nitrogen source. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 157/158.
- (1996) Synthesis of magnetic intermetallics and their interstitial hydrides. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. vol. 157/158.
- (1995) Synthesis of Nd2Fe14B nanocrystals using interstitial hydrides. Nanostructured materials. vol. 6 (1-4).
Part of book/report
- (2019) Pre-Service Teachers’ Challenges and Affordances in Implementing Inquiry-Based Science Teaching at Lower Primary. Conference Proceeding 8th International Conference NEW PERSPECTIVES in SCIENCE EDUCATION.
- (2018) Teaching Practices in Preservice Science Teacher Education. Electronic Proceedings of the ESERA 2017 Conference. Research, Practice and Collaboration in Science Education.
- (2017) Mangfold i naturen, mangfold i skolen. Mangfold gjennom anerkjennelse og inkludering i skolen.
- (2017) ‘Walking a graph’ – primary school students’ experimental session on functions and graphs. Proceedings of the Tenth Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (CERME 10).
- (2016) Enhancing Teachers’ Professional Knowledge in Connecting the World of Work to Inquiry Based Science Teaching: Case of Norway. Conference proceedings. New perspectives in science education.
- (2016) Implementing IBL and WoW in primary science in Norway. Science Education Research: Engaging learners for a sustainable future..