Background and activities
Markus Grasmair has been associate professor at the Department of Mathematical Sciences since October 2013.
Main areas of research
Inverse problems, mathematical methods in image processing, optimisation.
- Habilitation in Mathematics at the University of Vienna (2011). Thesis: Nonsmooth variational methods in image processing and inverse problems.
- PhD in Mathematics at the University of Innsbruck (2006). Thesis: Relaxation of nonlocal integrals with rational integrands.
- MSc in Mathematics at the University of Innsbruck (2003). Thesis: Norms on root systems (in German).
- 2012-2013 Substitute professor for Scientific Computing at the Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany.
- 2009-2012 Assistant professor at the University of Vienna, Austria.
- 2003-2009 Research assistant at the University of Innsbruck, Austria.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Source Conditions for Non-Quadratic Tikhonov Regularization. Numerical Functional Analysis and Optimization.
- (2018) Adaptive multi-penalty regularization based on a generalized Lasso path. Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis.
- (2018) Variational multiscale nonparametric regression: Smooth functions. Annales de l'I.H.P. Probabilites et statistiques. vol. 54 (2).
- (2017) Landmark-guided elastic shape analysis of human character motions. Inverse Problems and Imaging. vol. 11 (4).
- (2016) Conditions on optimal support recovery in unmixing problems by means of multi-penalty regularization. Inverse Problems. vol. 32 (10).
- (2015) Optical Flow on Moving Manifolds. SIAM Journal of Imaging Sciences. vol. 8 (1).
- (2014) A variational algorithm for the detection of line segments. Inverse Problems and Imaging. vol. 8 (2).
- (2013) Local Uniqueness of the Circular Integral Invariant. Inverse Problems and Imaging. vol. 7 (1).
- (2013) Scale and Edge Detection with Topological Derivatives. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 7893.
- (2013) Variational inequalities and higher order convergence rates for Tikhonov regularisation on Banach spaces. Journal of Inverse and Ill-Posed Problems. vol. 21 (3).
- (2013) An approach to the minimization of the Mumford-Shah functional using Gamma-convergence and topological asymptotic expansion. Interfaces and free boundaries (Print). vol. 15 (2).
- (2013) Nonparametric instrumental regression with non-convex constraints. Inverse Problems. vol. 29 (3).
- (2012) Shape reconstruction with a priori knowledge based on integral invariants. SIAM Journal of Imaging Sciences. vol. 5 (2).
- (2012) Regularization of linear ill-posed problems by the augmented Lagrangian method and variational inequalities. Inverse Problems. vol. 28 (10).
- (2012) Convergence rates for Tikhonov regularisation on Banach spaces. Oberwolfach Reports. vol. 9 (4).
- (2011) Linear convergence rates for Tikhonov regularization with positively homogeneous functionals. Inverse Problems. vol. 27 (7).
- (2011) Well-posedness classes for sparse regularization. Communications in Mathematical Sciences. vol. 9 (4).
- (2011) Necessary and sufficient conditions for linear convergence of l1-regularization. Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics. vol. 64 (2).
- (2011) The residual method for regularizing ill-posed problems. Applied Mathematics and Computation. vol. 218 (6).
- (2010) Spatial segmentation of imaging mass spectrometry data with edge-preserving image denoising and clustering. Journal of Proteome Research. vol. 9 (12).