Marthe Caroline Grønbech hafskjold
Background and activities
Characteristic for diatoms are their ability to create hierarchically nano- and micropatterned siliceous frustules. Exactly how silica polymerization and nanopatterning takes place inside the silica deposition vesicle (SDV) of diatoms is still largely unknown. A previous transcriptome study from our lab revealed a family of previously uncharacterized diatom-specific transmembrane proteins related to Silicanin-1, the first protein to be localized in the SDV membrane. We hypothesized that the Silicanin family is associated with the SDV membrane and is likely involved in silica biomineralization of the diatom frustule. A possibility is that Silicanins interact with the cytoskeleton through adapter proteins. By knocking out members of the Silicanin family in the diatoms Phaeodactylum tricornutum and Thalassiosira pseudonana we can further investigate the role of Silicanins and look at the effects on frustule patterning and structure.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Loss of ALBINO3b insertase results in truncated light-harvesting antenna in diatoms. Plant Physiology. vol. 181 (3).
- (2017) CRISPR/Cas9 Gene Editing in the Marine Diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Bio-protocol. vol. 7 (15).
- (2019) Analysis of short-term transcriptome responses to silicon addition in Thalassiosira pseudonana. The molecular life of diatoms 2019 . EMBO; Norwich. 2019-07-15 - 2019-07-18.
- (2019) How to build a glass house: Revealing fundamental components of diatom cell wall biomineralization. The molecular life of diatoms ; 2019-07-14 - 2019-07-18.
- (2019) Functional studies of a diatom-specific cell wall synthesis protein. 7th European Phycological Congress . Federation of European Phycological Societies; Zagreb. 2019-08-25 - 2019-08-30.
- (2019) Strain optimization of the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. BIOPROSP_19 . Tekna; Tromsø. 2019-02-25 - 2019-02-27.
- (2018) Genredigering av marine mikroalger - Kan endringer av algenes lyshøstingsegenskaper øke produktiviteten?. HAVBRUK 2018 . Forskningsrådet i samarbeid med Fiskeri- og havbruksnæringen; Oslo. 2018-04-18 - 2018-04-20.