Background and activities
I am an archaeologist working alpine snow patches and frozen cultural heritage in central Norway. I work with all aspects of snow patch archaeology- from field surveys and documentation, through lab studies and analyses to professional and public dissemination and network building.
I was coordinator of the international Frozen Pasts Network and Managing Editor of the Journal of Glacial Archaeology until April 2019. Previous projects include the SPARC project in cooperation with the NTNU-University Museum in Trondheim. And the Åarjelsaemien Tsoevtsh project in cooperation with Saemien Sijte that focuses on local knowledge and use of alpine ice patches in Southern Sami areas.
I am a member of the UISPP’s HOME (Human Occupations of Mountain Landscapes) Commission and have organized a number of mountain sessions at international conferences and meetings.
Pedagogical Responsibilities and Teaching:
Leder Program for Archaeology (BA & MA)
Lecturing and teaching (BA, MA & PhD)
Student supervisor (BA; MA and PhD)
ARK1001 Introduction to Archaeology (22,5 stp) (with Heidrun Stebergløkken)
ARK1010 Introduction to Archaeology for Critical Heritage Students (15 stp) (with Heidrun Stebergløkken)
ARK3321 MA Internships (15 stp)
- (2020) Partner/member of the VR-Learn pilot project, led by the Dept. of Geography at NTNU.Project shall test the introduction of low-cost VR technology into large scale teaching scenarios at the university.
- (2020) Leder for the DIKU financed (InternAbroad) project «The Northern Archaeology and Heritage Exchange Network». The project organizes internships for Norwegian students with partner institutions in Canada and USA (2020-2023).
- (2017) Responsible for introduction of drones (UAVs) into BA and MA course at NTNU. Our Drone modules include theoretical, methodological and practical teaching at the different levels. Use of drones is an integrated part of the annual archaeological field school at NTNU.
- (2017) Ansvarlig for innføring av droner (UAVs) i undervisningen på ARK programmet på NTNU. Dette omfatter teoretiske, metodiske og praktisk undervisning på -2000 og -3000 nivåene.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Climate change and the deteriorating archaeological and environmental archives of the Arctic. Antiquity. vol. 92 (363).
- (2018) The chronology of reindeer hunting on Norway's highest ice patches. Royal Society Open Science. vol. 5:171738.
- (2016) Hunting High and Low: Postglacial Colonization Strategies in Central Norway between 9500 and 8000 cal BC. European Journal of Archaeology.
- (2016) Managing frozen heritage: Some challenges and responses. Quaternary International. vol. 402.
- (2014) Bronze Age Arrows from Norwegian Alpine Snow Patches. Journal of Glacial Archaeology. vol. 1.
- (2014) The Emergence of Glacial Archaeology. Journal of Glacial Archaeology. vol. 1 (1).
- (2013) Melting snow patches reveal Neolithic archery. Antiquity. vol. 87 (337).
- (2012) Central Norwegian Snow Patch Archaeology: Patterns Past and Present. Arctic. vol. 65.
- (2015) Exploitation of outfield resources - Joint Research at the University Museums of Norway. 2015. ISBN 9788278870426.
Part of book/report
- (2018) The challenge of developing sustainable heritage management and preservation strategies for perennial snow patch artefacts. Contribution of the SPARC Project. Proceedings of the 13th ICOM-CC Group on Wet Organic Archaeological Materials Conference: Florence 2016.
- (2016) The Snow Patch Archaeological Research Cooperation (SPARC): Climate change and vulnerable high mountain heritage artefacts. Proceedings of the 12th ICOM-CC Group on Wet Organic Archaeological Materials Conference Istanbul 2013.
- (2015) Chronological patterns among archaeological finds from snow patches in Central Norway 1914-2011. Exploitation of outfield resources - Joint Research at the University Museums of Norway.
- (2010) Northern Snow Patch Archaeology. A Circumpolar Reappraisal : The Legacy of Gutorm Gjessing (1906-1979).
- (2020) FonnSat - Fonner, arkeologi og satellittdata. 2020. ISBN 978-82-410-2078-0. Rapport (Norges vassdrags- og energidirektorat) (41/2020).
- (2009) Archaeological Geophysics Workshop. Workshop notes. Stiklestad Nasjonale Kultursenter, 28th & 29th September 2009. 2009.
- (2007) On the Edge - a Survey of Early Mesolithic Informal Tools from Central Norway. 2007.