Background and activities
Dr philos. Martina Maria Keitsch is Professor in Sustainable Design at the Department of Design, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim. She is also PhD Program Leader at the Department of Design, Faculty of Architecture and Design. Keitsch was project leader of the research project ‘The Medical Home’ and is currently project leader of the Project’ Energy for Social Sustainability’ (http://msessd.ioe.edu.np/) and Transdisciplinary Education for a Sustainable Society (SAMAJ) Keitsch has worked for over 20 years in the sustainable development area, mainly with eco design, and -architecture, urban planning, stakeholder inclusion and ethics of sustainability. From 1997-2004 she also worked with eco-technology at the Programme for Industrial Ecology at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Keitsch is Member of several Scientific Committees, board member of the International Sustainable Development Research Society, and has been Guest-editor of three special issues for the Journal ‘Sustainable Development’. Keitsch is teaching Bachelor- Master- and PhD students and has published several articles on the topics above. Recent publications cover: Sustainability and Public Space, Transdisciplinary collaboration in Renewable energy projects, Sustainable Design and Social Entrepreneurship and Innovation through Low carbon-city design.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Enhancing Collaboration Between Societal Stakeholders for Reduced Inequalities. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- (2021) Waste to energy in Kathmandu Nepal—A way toward achieving sustainable development goals. Sustainable Development.
- (2021) Role of gender participation in urban household energy technology for sustainability: a case of Kathmandu. Journal: Discover Sustainability https://portal.issn.org/resource/ISSN/2662-9984. 2662-9984. vol. 2.
- (2020) Gender differences in household energy decision-making and impacts in energy saving to achieve sustainability: A case of Kathmandu. Sustainable Development. vol. 1–14.
- (2020) Migration cost optimization for service provider legacynetwork migration to software-defined IPv6 network. International Journal of Network Management.
- (2019) Towards energy efficiency and green network infrastructure deployment in Nepal using software defined IPv6 network paradigm. Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries. vol. 86 (1).
- (2019) Speculative and Critical Design — Features, Methods, and Practices. Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Design. vol. 1 (1).
- (2019) Transdisciplinary Collaboration in Renewable Energy Projects. Journal of the institute of engineering. vol. 15 (3).
- (2019) Review of Indicators for Localizing Environmental Goals at Sub National and Local Level in Nepal. Journal of the institute of engineering. vol. 15 (3).
- (2019) Scaling up sustainability: Concepts and practices of the ecovillage approach. Sustainable Development. vol. 27 (2).
- (2019) The role of storytelling in art museum experiences. Cumulus Conference Proceedings Series.
- (2018) Structuring Ethical Interpretations of the Sustainable Development Goals — Concepts, Implications and Progress. Sustainability. vol. 10 (3).
- (2017) Clarifying the Epistemology of Corporate Sustainability. Ecological Economics. vol. 138.
- (2016) Framing Complexity in Design through theories of Social Practice and Structuration: A comparative case study of urban cycling. Proceedings of DRS.
- (2016) Cultural Sustainability and Space - a Comparison of two Cases in Kathmandu, Nepal. Sustainable Development. vol. 24.
- (2015) Using Phenomenological Hermeneutics to Gain Understanding of Stakeholders in Healthcare Contexts. International Journal of Design. vol. 9 (3).
- (2014) Interactions Between Caregivers and Young Children: Exploring Pedagogical Tact in Nebulizer Treatment. Qualitative Health Research. vol. 24 (12).
- (2014) Cultural sustainability and the negotiation of public space - The case of Indrachowk Square, Kathmandu, Nepal. Journal of Sustainable Development. vol. 7 (3).
- (2013) Design for social entrepreneurship. Journal of US-China Public Administration. vol. 10 (6).
- (2012) Ethical Implications of Systems Methodology Applied to Industrial Ecology. Sociology Study. vol. 2 (1).