Background and activities
Founding Director of Centre for Neural Computation and Co-Director of the Kavli Institute for Systems Neuroscience. PhD in neurophysiology, University of Oslo 1995.
May-Britt Moser is interested in the neural basis of spatial location and spatial memory, specifically and cognition more generally. Her work, conducted with Edvard I. Moser as a long-term collaborator, includes the discovery of grid cells in the entorhinal cortex, as well as several additional space-representing cell types in the same circuit.
Her group is beginning to unravel the functional organization of the grid-cell circuit as well as its contribution to memory formation in the hippocampus.
May-Britt Moser was a co-Founder of the Centre for the Biology of Memory, a Research Council-funded Centre of Excellence from 2003 to 2012, and has taken on the Directorship of the Centre for Neural Computation, with a life time from 2013 to 2022.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) A Brainstem Locomotor Circuit Drives the Activity of Speed Cells in the Medial Entorhinal Cortex. Cell reports. vol. 32 (10).
- (2020) Per Andersen (1930-2020) Neuroscientist who pioneered studies of the brain´s memory circuits. Nature. vol. 579.
- (2019) During hippocampal inactivation, grid cells maintain synchrony, even when the grid pattern is lost. eLIFE. vol. 8.
- (2019) Correlation structure of grid cells is preserved during sleep. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 22 (4).
- (2019) Dissociation between postrhinal cortex and downstream parahippocampal regions in the representation of egocentric boundaries. Current Biology. vol. 29 (16).
- (2019) Grid-Cell Distortion along Geometric Borders. Current Biology. vol. 29 (6).
- (2019) Object-vector coding in the medial entorhinal cortex. Nature. vol. 568 (7752).
- (2019) Episodic memory: Neuronal codes for what, where, and when. Hippocampus.
- (2018) Path integration in place cells of developing rats. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 115 (7).
- (2018) Supramammillary Nucleus Modulates Spike-Time Coordination in the Prefrontal-Thalamo-Hippocampal Circuit during Navigation. Neuron. vol. 99 (3).
- (2018) Functional properties of stellate cells in medial entorhinal cortex layer II. eLIFE. vol. 7.
- (2018) Integrating time from experience in the lateral entorhinal cortex. Nature. vol. 561.
- (2018) Integration of grid maps in merged environments. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 21 (1).
- (2018) Entorhinal fast-spiking speed cells project to the hippocampus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 115 (7).
- (2017) Stellate cells drive maturation of the entorhinal-hippocampal circuit. Science. vol. 355 (6330).
- (2017) Parvalbumin and Somatostatin Interneurons Control Different Space-Coding Networks in the Medial Entorhinal Cortex. Cell. vol. 171 (3).
- (2017) Spatial Representation in the Hippocampal Formation: A History. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 20 (11).
- (2016) Ten Years of Grid Cells. Annual Review of Neuroscience. vol. 39.
- (2015) Coherence among Head Direction Cells before Eye Opening in Rat Pups. Current Biology. vol. 25 (1).
- (2015) A prefrontal-thalamo-hippocampal circuit for goal-directed spatial navigation. Nature. vol. 522 (7554).