Background and activities
Professor of philosophy
Director of NTNU's Programme for Applied Ethics since 2001.
NTNU Sustainability, member of the management group and leader of Ethical perspectives since 2014, core partner since 2017.
Vice-chairman of NTNU's Research ethical committee since 2014.
President DKNVS (Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters) from 2020, leader of humanities class humanistisk klasse and member of the board since 2018.
Etisk råd for forsvarssektoren (Ethical council of the defence sector of Norway), member since 2019.
Previous member of REK (Regional committee of medical and health care research ethics) and NEM (national committee of medical and health care research ethics), clinical ethics committee of St. Olav Hospital (Trondheim), and Bioteknologirådet (bioetical research council).
Research interests: Ethics and political philosophy; applied ethics/research ethics; environmental ethics; information- and communication ethics; artificial intelligence; multicultural conflicts; democracy/fundamentalism.
Current and recent research projects:
ULTIMATE – indUstry water-utiliTy symbiosis for a sMarter wATer society 1 June 2020 (30 May 2024) under Horizon 2020. May Thorseth is Ethics Officer and member of Project Management Team, and member of WP 4: Examine the socio-political and governance context for WSIS.
GoodAnimal: Animal welfare for Sustainable Futures, 2019-2022, funded by NRC, BIONÆR, led by Ruralis. Thorseth is leader of WP 3e: Ethics.
Horizon 2020 NextGen: Towards a Next Generation of Water Systems and Services for the Circular Economy, 2018-2022, led by KWR Watercycle Research Institute. Thorseth is Ethics Advisor and member of project advisory board (PAB).
Horizon 2020 STOP-IT: Strategic, Tactical, Operational Protection of water Infrastrcture against cyber-physical Threats, 2017-2021. Thorseth is independent ethics advisor and member of PAB.
Horizon 2020 Sunrise: Solar Energy for a Circular Economy, CSA, 2018-2020. Thorseth member of WP 3: Dissemination, communication and education.
BINGO - Bringing Innovation to ongoing water management - a better future under climate change. EU - Horizon 2020, May Thorseth Ethics advisor of the project.
BIOSMART - Managing the transition to a "smart" bioeconomy, funded by NRC, BIONÆR 2015-2018. Led by Centre for Rural Research. May Thorseth partner of wp 4: Social acceptaility - ethics and outcomes.
FORFOOD - Frogs, fuel, finance or food? Cultures, values, ethics, arguments and justifications in the mamagement of agricultural land, 2013-2016, funded by NRC, SAMKUL, led by Centre for rural Research. Work package 4: Ethical assessments in the management of agricultural land, led by May Thorseth.
ISP-FIDE. Project: Applied Ethics: Technology and Governance of Health and Natural Resource, Norwegian research council, 2012-2015.
ENRI Future - Rights to a Green Future, Uncertainty, Intergenerational human Rights and Pathways to Realisation, an ESF project running from 2011-2015. One wg led by May Thorseth: Investigating the main psychological and institutional obstacles to a sustainable politics.
Part of the expert panel of the EU project The Onlife Initiative Concept Reengineering Exercise: rethinking public spaces in the digital transition, an EU expert panel working on future policy in the digital transition realm, 2012. Publication: The Onlife Manifesto.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) A novel governance framework for GMO : a tiered, more flexible regulation for GMOs would help to stimulate innovation and public debate. EMBO Reports. vol. 20 (5).
- (2019) The ethics of sustainable governance. Etikk i praksis. vol. 13 (2).
- (2019) Finding balance in normative toolkits Towards a broader understanding of methods in applied ethics. Etikk i praksis. vol. 13 (1).
- (2018) The Potential Of Co-Benefits In Climate Change Mitigation Strategy: An opportunity for Environmental and Social Justice. Journal of Social Sciences Naresuan University. vol. 14 (1).
- (2018) Respect, trust, care and interconnectedness. Etikk i praksis. vol. 12 (1).
- (2017) Value and growth - rethinking basic concepts in Lockean liberalism. Etikk i praksis. vol. 11 (1).
- (2017) Etikk i praksis gjennom 10 år (2007-2017): 10 years of Nordic applied ethics. Etikk i praksis.
- (2014) Institutional Obstacles to Sustainable Governance of Natural Resources: A Deliberative Approach. Universitas: monthly review of philosophy and culture. vol. 07 (482).
- (2011) Deliberation Online: An Impediment Against Fundamentalism Offline. Oñati Socio-legal Series. vol. 1 (5).
- (2010) Introduction. Mobile/ubiquitous computing: dreams and nightmares. Etikk i praksis. vol. 4 (2).
- (2008) Kant and information ethics. Ethics and Information Technology. vol. 10 (4).
- (2008) Reflective Judgment and Enlarged Thinking Online. Ethics and Information Technology. vol. 10 (4).
- (2007) Hva er en medforfatter?. Tidsskrift for Den norske legeforening.
- (2006) Neither relativism nor imperialism: Thories and practics for a global information ethics. Ethics and Information Technology. vol. 8.
- (2015) The Politics of Sustainability. Philosophical Perspectives. Routledge. 2015. ISBN 978-1-138-85430-7.
- (2014) The Onlife Manifesto. Springer. 2014. ISBN 978-3-319-04092-9.
- (2011) Trust and Virtual Worlds. Contemporary Perspectives. Peter Lang Publishing Group. 2011. ISBN 978-1-4331-0923-2.
- (2009) Technology in a Multicultural and Global Society. Worldwide Communication Online. Lambert Academic Publishing. 2009. ISBN 978-3-8383-0331-4.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Bioøkonomien i møte med samfunnet - Empiriske funn og etiske refleksjoner. Etter oljen: Vår bioøkonomiske fremtid.
- (2020) Intergenerational Justice and Obligations to Future Generations: Towards Environmental Rights in Land-Use Policy. Finance or Food?: The Role of Cultures, Values, and Ethics in Land Use Negotiations.
- (2018) Governance Towards a Green Future. Towards the Ethics of a Green Future.
- (2015) Limitations to democratic governance of natural resources. The Politics of Sustainability. Philosophical Perspectives.
- (2015) May Thorseth: Commentary of the Manifesto. The Onlife Manifesto: Being Human in a Hyperconnected Era.
- (2015) On Tolerance and Fictitious Publics. The Onlife Manifesto: Being Human in a Hyperconnected Era.
- (2011) Trust and Virtual Worlds. Introduction. Trust and Virtual Worlds. Contemporary Perspectives.
- (2011) Global communication online against fundamentalist knowledge offline?. Fundamentalism in the Modern World. Volume 2.
- (2008) The Ethics of Global Communication Online. Handbook of Research on Technoethics.
- (2015) Intergenerational justice and our obligations to future generations: Towards environmental rights in land use policy. Grand challenges and our obligations to future generations: FINAL CONFERENCE OF THE ISP-FIDE PROJECT Applied Ethics Technology and Governance of Health and Natural Resources ; 2015-05-21 - 2015-05-22.
- (2015) BINGO Ethics. Kick-off meeting for Bringing INnovation to onGOing water management - a better future for climate change - BINGO . Horizon 2020 project BINGO; Lisbon. 2015-07-10 - 2015-07-10.
- (2015) De vanskelige valgene - om bærekraft og etikk. Halvdagskonfersanse i regi av NTNU Bærekraft . NTNU Bærekraft; Trondheim, Suhmhuset. 2015-06-05 - 2015-06-05.
- (2015) Ethics and supervision. PhD supervision seminar NTNU . NTNU organisasjon og ledelse, HR-avdelingen; Trondheim, Radisson Blue Royal Garden Hotel. 2015-11-06 - 2015-11-06.
- (2015) Etisk blikk på sårbare grupper og god vitenskapelig praksis. Forskningsseminar ved RKBU . Reg.Kunnsk.senter for Barn og Unge, Medisinsk fakultet, NTNU; Trondheim, RKBU. 2015-10-30 - 2015-10-30.
- (2015) Forskningsetikk på 1,2,3. Instituttseminar for Institutt for språk og litteratur, NTNU . Institutt for språk og litteratur (ISL), NTNU; Værnes, SAS-hotellet. 2015-10-22 - 2015-10-22.
- (2015) Research ethics - Scientific integrity and ethical judgment, PhD seminar SVT, 2015. PhD seminar SVT faculty 2015 . SVT faculty, NTNU; Trondeheim, Scandic Nidelven Hotel. 2015-11-04 - 2015-11-04.
- (2015) Research ethics and sustainability. Breakfast seminar for Molecular systems biology, NTNU . Dept. of biology, Molecular systems biology, NTNU; Trondheim, NTNU, Gløshaugen. 2015-10-22 - 2015-10-22.
- (2015) Tortur: Misbruk av psykologisk kunnskap?. Debattmøte . Psykologidagene 2015; NTNU Studentersamfunnet, Klubben. 2015-03-12 - 2015-03-12.
- (2015) Value and Growth: Rethinking basic concepts. Nordic Environmental and Social Science coconference 2015 (NESS 2015) . NESS 2015; Trondheim, NTNU, Gløshaugen. 2015-06-10 - 2015-06-10.
- (2015) Value and Growth: Rethinking basic concepts in Lockean Liberalism. American Political Science Annual Meeting, APSA 2015 . APSA 2015; San Francisco. 2015-09-04 - 2015-09-04.
- (2015) Den vanskelige rettferdigheten. Gemini.no, ISSN 0805-6285 [Internett]. 2015-11-23.
- (2014) Etikkportalen ved NTNU. Instituttlederseminar for ledere ved NTNU . NTNU, ledelsen m/rektor; Dokkhuset, Trondheim. 2014-06-17 - 2014-06-17.
- (2014) Obstacles to Sustainable Development in Global Contexts. Forelesning East China Normal University . East China Normal University, Philosophy Department; Shanghai. 2014-04-23 - 2014-04-23.
- (2014) Profesjonsetikk for studenter?. Bioteknologiens tidsalder: 12 smakebiter . Bioteknologinemnda/ Volvox & Alkymisten/ Tekna Biotek; Trondheim, Studentersamfunnet. 2014-02-11 - 2014-02-11.
- (2014) Public Reason and Limits of Tolerance. Forelesning East China Normal University . East China Normal University, Department of Philosophy; Shangai. 2014-04-21 - 2014-04-21.
- (2014) Responsible petroleum research: an ethical oxymoron?. CESAER annual meeting, Task force RRI . CESAER; Tallin, Tallin University of Technology. 2014-10-15 - 2014-10-17.