Michael Francis Duch
Background and activities
Michael Francis Duch (1978) was born and raised in Trondheim, Norway, and plays the double bass.
Duch is a member of the The Young Academy of Norway.
He completed his project “Free Improvisation – Method and Genre” as research-fellow at the University of Trondheim (NTNU) late October 2010, where he has been doing research on Free Improvisation and the use of Improvisation in Experimental Music.
He has been involved in about 70 recordings released in various formats, and has played solo-concerts various places in Norway and Sweden, and also Reykjavik, Athens, Madrid, Vienna, Glasgow, Huddersfield and London.
Michael Francis Duch plays in a trio with Rhodri Davies and John Tilbury, the improvquartet LEMUR with Bjørnar Habbestad, Hild Sofie Tafjord and Lene Grenager and various other constellations. Other collaborations include Pauline Oliveros, Mats Gustafsson, AMM, Christian Wolff, Tony Conrad, Joëlle Léandre, amongst others.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Cardew: Works 1960-70 CD review – politics with abundant imagination. The Guardian.
- (2017) Norsk kunstforskning snubler inn i fremtiden. Khrono.no.
- (2014) Bjørn Fongaard, musikk av. Sonater for ett instrument, opus 125, nr. 51/52. Concerto for Contr. basso and tape, oups 131, nr. 121.
- (2014) Critical Band (WP) A site-specific composition for 4 orchestral groups. null
- (2012) BBC Scottish Symphoni Orchestra: Cage at 100. null
- (2013) Critical Band A site-specific compostition for 9-16 musicians. 2013. ISBN 9788299876537.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Lemur in Rehearsal and Performance. vs. Interpretation: An Anthology on Improvisation, vol. 1.
- (2010) Free Imrovisation - Method and Genre Artistic Research in Free Improvisation and Improvisation in Experimental Music / Michael Francis Duch. 2010.
- (2018) Polytop - utstilling. Lydinstallasjon [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . Nasjonalmuseet -arkitektur; Oslo. 2018-01-20 - 2018-02-05.
- (2018) MUMOK Doppelleben - Opus 17 a Darboven. MUMOK museum moderner kunst stiftung ludwig wien [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . MUMOK museum moderner kunst stiftung ludwig wien; Wien. 2018-06-23 - 2018-11-11.
- (2017) Cornelius Cardew: Works 1960-70 (vol II). +3db records, Bergen. 2017.
- (2015) Tomba Emanuelle - On spatiality and site-specific music. InTime Symposium . Coventry University; Coventry. 2015-10-25 - 2015-10-25.
- (2014) Tomba Emanuelle. SOFA Music, Oslo, Norway. 2014.