Mila Dimitrova Vulchanova
Background and activities
My major recent research projects and grants include:
SellSTEM - Horizon2020 MSCA ITN grant (2021-2025) - WP3 Lead - https://sellstem.eu/
e-LADDA - Horizon2020 MSCA ITN grant (2019-2024) - Scientific Coordinator - https://www.ntnu.edu/e-ladda
DCOMM - Horizon2020 MSCA ITN grant (2016-2020) - WP lead
LanPercept - 7 FP MSCA LanPercept Initial Training Network, Coordinator (2013-2016)
NFR Norwegian National Graduate School of Linguistics and Philology, project leader and Scientific Director (2012-2020) - Norwegian Graduate Researcher School in Linguistics and Philology - NTNU
COST Action IS1406 “Enhancing children's oral language skills across Europe and beyond - a collaboration focusing on interventions for children with difficulties learning their first language” Management Committee Member, Training Coordinator (2015-2019)
NFR FRIHUM project “Situated reference in Language Acquisition” (2013-2016)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2022) You may point, but do not touch: Impact of gesture-types and cognition on language in typical and atypical development. International journal of language and communication disorders.
- (2022) Variation in first generation L1 deictic systems: Language attrition and bilingualism effects. International Journal of Bilingualism.
- (2021) More mental rotation time does not imply more mental effort: Pupillary diameters do not change with angular distance. Brain and Cognition. vol. 148 (105670).
- (2021) Differences in word learning in children: bilingualism or linguistic experience?. Applied Psycholinguistics. vol. 42 (2).
- (2021) To Name or Not to Name: Eye Movements and Semantic Processing in RAN and Reading. Brain Sciences. vol. 11 (7).
- (2021) Collocational frequency and context effects on idiom processing in advanced L2 speakers. Canadian journal of experimental psychology. vol. 75 (2).
- (2021) Role of Subtitles in L2 Acquisition and Comprehension: A Pilot Study of Hearing-Impaired Students. Languages. vol. 6 (17).
- (2021) Language development in typically developing children and children with developmental deficits: A concise qualitative review. Papers of the Institute for Bulgarian Language “Prof. Lyubomir Andreychin”. vol. XXXIV.
- (2020) Tell me where it is: Selective difficulties in spatial language on the autism spectrum. Autism. vol. 24 (7).
- (2020) More mental rotation time does not imply more mental effort: Pupillary diameters do not change with angular distance. Brain and Cognition. vol. 148.
- (2020) Spatial language difficulties reflect the structure of intact spatial representation: Evidence from high-functioning autism. Cognitive Psychology. vol. 116.
- (2020) Differences in word learning in children: bilingualism or linguistic experience?. Applied Psycholinguistics. vol. 42 (2).
- (2020) Embedding (im)plausible clauses in propositional attitude contexts: Modulatory effects on the N400 and late components. Journal of Neurolinguistics. vol. 53.
- (2020) Reading goals and executive function in autism: An eye tracking study. Autism Research.
- (2020) Meaning before grammar: A review of ERP experiments on the neurodevelopmental origins of semantic processing. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review. vol. 27 (3).
- (2020) Different Ways of Making a Point: A Study of Gestural Communication in Typical and Atypical Early Development. Autism Research.
- (2020) Cultural and linguistic practice with children with developmental language disorder: Findings from an international practitioner survey. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica.
- (2020) Hva skjer om møtet med skriftspråket blir formidlet av et nettbrett?. Morgenbladet.
- (2020) Shrinking your deictic system: How far can you go?. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2019) Spatial language difficulties reflect the structure of intact spatial representation: Evidence from high-functioning autism . Cognitive Psychology. vol. 116.
- (2019) Gesture and language trajectories in early development: An overview from the autism spectrum disorder perspective. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 10:1211 (MAY).
- (2019) Do Individuals with Autism Change Their Reading Behavior to Adapt to Errors in the Text?. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- (2019) Gaze and Motor Traces of Language Processing: Evidence from Autism Spectrum Disorders in Comparison to Typical Controls. Cognitive Neuropsychology.
- (2019) Boon or burden? The role of compositional meaning in figurative language processing and acquisition. Journal of Logic, Language and Information. vol. 28 (2).
- (2019) Language and perception: Introduction to the special issue "Speakers and listeners in the visual world". Journal of Cultural Cognitive Science. vol. 3 (2).
- (2018) The interpretation of focused pronouns in Norwegian children and adults. Nordic Journal of Linguistics. vol. 41 (1).
- (2018) Can phonological awareness predict concurrent reading outcomes in a deep orthography?. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 15.
- (2017) Can you tell it by the prime: A study of metaphorical priming in high-functioning autism in comparison with matched controls. International journal of language and communication disorders. vol. 52 (6).
- (2017) THE INFLUENCE OF VISUAL CONTEXT AND IT-CLEFTS ON AMBIGUOUS PRONOUN PROCESSING IN NORWEGIAN CHILDREN. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. 16 (1).
- (2017) Strategies of readers with autism when responding to inferential questions: An eye movement study. Autism Research. vol. 10 (5).
- (2017) Editorial: Language development in the digital age. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. vol. 11:447.
- (2016) Can you play with fire and not hurt yourself? A Comparative study in figurative language comprehension between individuals with and without Autism Spectrum Disorder. PLOS ONE. vol. 11 (12).
- (2016) Predictors of metaphorical understanding in high functioning autism. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. 15 (1).
- (2016) L1, quantity of exposure to L2 and reading disability as factors in L2 oral comprehension and production skills. Learning and Individual Differences. vol. 50.
- (2016) Factor Structure of the Bulgarian CAST: (Childhood Autism Spectrum Test). Journal of Intellectual Disability - Diagnosis and Treatment. vol. 4 (2).
- (2015) Flerspråklighet, andrespråk, språktilegnelse. norsklektorlag.no (Norsk lektorlags nettsider).
- (2015) Pathways to language: Same talent, different cognitive profiles. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 12.
- (2015) As naturalistic as it gets: Subtitles in the English classroom in Norway. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 6.
- (2015) Figurative language processing in atypical populations: The ASD perspective. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. vol. 9:24.
- (2014) Naturalistic acquisition in an early language classroom. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 5.
- (2014) Predictors of Reading in Urdu: Does Deep Orthography Have an Impact?. Dyslexia. vol. 20 (2).
- (2014) Links between phonological memory, first language competence and second language competence in 10-year-old children. Learning and Individual Differences. vol. 35.
- (2013) Morphology in autism spectrum disorders: Local processing bias and language. Cognitive Neuropsychology.
- (2012) Bjorn Hansen and Jasmina Grkovic-Major, Eds.: Diachronic Slavonic Syntax: Gradual Changes in Focus, Review. Journal of Slavic Linguistics. vol. 20 (2).
- (2012) No Evidence of L1 Path Encoding Strategies in the L2 in Advanced Bulgarian Speakers of Norwegian. Spatial Cognition and Computation. vol. 12 (4).
- (2012) Morphology in autism spectrum disorders: Local processing bias and language. Cognitive Neuropsychology. vol. 29 (7-8).
- (2012) Language against the odds, or rather not: The weak central coherence hypothesis and language. Journal of Neurolinguistics. vol. 25 (1).
- (2012) The role of input in early bilingual lexical development. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. XI (2).
- (2011) Idiom comprehension in the first language: a developmental study. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 8.
- (2011) Assessing the feature-driven nature of similarity-based sorting of verbs. POLIBITS Research Journal on Computer Science and Computer Engineering With Applications.
- (2009) Predictive Eye Movements Are Driven by Goals, Not by the Mirror Neuron System. Psychological Science. vol. 20 (4).
- (2009) ON THE ENCODING OF LEXICAL INFORMATION: EVENTS AND THEIR LEXICALIZATION IN ENGLISH AND BULGARIAN. Balgarski ezik.
- (2007) Introduction. Southern Journal of Linguistics.
- (2007) Selected Papers from FASSBL 5 Conference, editor. Southern Journal of Linguistics.
- (2007) Event Lexicalization Across Languages. Southern Journal of Linguistics.
- (2007) Participle Constructions in Old Bulgarian: Structure and function. Southern Journal of Linguistics.
- (2007) Concept, Context and Beyond: Manner of motion verbs, encoding and relevant bits of information. Southern Journal of Linguistics.
- (2002) The Realization of Number in the Balkan languages. Balkanistica. vol. 15.
- (1998) Are Bulgarian pronominal clitics in the Wackernagel position?. Meddelelser (Universitetet i Oslo. Slavisk-baltisk avdeling).
- (1998) Incremental "walls". Nordic Journal of Linguistics.
- (2019) Speakers and Listeners in the Visual World. Springer Nature. 2019. ISBN 978-981-32-9978-8. Journal of Cultural Cognitive Science (2).
- (2019) NRDLS – The New Reynell Developmental Language Scales. Hogrefe & Huber Publishers. 2019. ISBN 978-0-9874288-0-6.
- (2017) Language Development in the Digital Age. 2017. ISBN 978-2-88945-313-9.
- (2012) Motion Encoding in Language and Space. Oxford University Press. 2012. ISBN 978-0-19-966121-3.
- (2011) Proceedings of the India-Norway Workshop on Web Concepts and Techonologies. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2011. ISBN 978-82-519-2837-3.
- (2009) Investigations in the Bulgarian and Macedonian Nominal Expression. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2009. ISBN 978-82-519-2473-3.
- (2005) Grammar and Beyond. Essays in honour of Lars Hellan. Novus Forlag. 2005. ISBN 82-7099-406-5.
- (1999) Verb Semantics, Diathesis and Aspect. 1999. LINCOM Series in theoretical linguistics.
- (1999) Topics in South Slavic Syntax and Semantics,. John Benjamins Publishing Company. 1999.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Word structure and word processing in developmental disorders. Word Knowledge and Word Usage: A Cross-disciplinary Guide to the Mental Lexicon.
- (2019) Norway. Managing Children with Developmental Language Disorder Theory and Practice Across Europe and Beyond, 1st Edition.
- (2018) The nature and effects of Norwegian diglossia. Å skrive nynorsk og bokmål. Nye tverrfaglege perspektiv.
- (2018) Figurative Language Processing in Autism. The Interactive Mind: Language, Vision and Attention.
- (2016) On two types of result: Resultatives revisited. Aspectuality and Temporality.
- (2015) L1, quantity of exposure to L2, and reading disability as factors in L2 literacy skills. Usage-Based Perspectives on Second Language Learning.
- (2014) Flerspråklighet i Norge: en eksperimentell språkprosesseringsstudie. Rom for språk. Nye innsikter i språkleg mangfald.
- (2013) A Basic Level for the Encoding of Biological Motion. The Construal of Spatial Meaning.
- (2012) Voice. The Oxford Handbook of Tense and Aspect.
- (2012) Distinctions in the linguistic encoding of motion: Evidence from a free naming task. Motion Encoding in Language and Space.
- (2012) Introduction. Motion Encoding in Language and Space.
- (2011) An Article Evolving: The Case of Old Bulgarian. Grammatical Change. Origins, Nature, Outcomes.
- (2010) An article on the rise: Contact-induced change and the rise and fall of N-to-D movement. Continuity and Change in Grammar.
- (2010) Nominal Expressions in Flux: The status of the universal quantifier in Old Bulgarian. Development of Language through the Lens of Formal Linguistics.
- (2009) The Structure of the Bulgarian and Macedonian Nominal Expression: Introduction. Investigations in the Bulgarian and Macedonian Nominal Expression.
- (2009) Nominalizations in Bulgarian and Macedonian. Investigations in the Bulgarian and Macedonian Nominal Expression.
- (2009) Linearization Patterns in the Old Bulgarian Nominal Expression. Investigations in the Bulgarian and Macedonian Nominal Expression.
- (2008) Clitic Doubling and Old Bulgarian. Clitic Doubling in the Balkan Languages.
- (2008) Fragments of Old Bulgarian Syntax. Bulgaristica - Studia et Argumenta.
- (2008) Old Bulgarian Syntax: The basics. Problemi na Kirilo-Metodievoto delo i na bulgarskata kultura prez IX-X v.
- (2007) What the eyes can('t) tell: An eye-tracking ad study. Urgent Problmes of Communication and Culture 6.
- (2006) Relative Clauses in old Bulgarian. Ezikovedski izsledvanija v cest na 75-godishninata ot rozdenieto na Iordan Penchev.
- (2006) Issues of POS-annotation of Old Bulgarian Texts. Computer Applications in Slavic Studies.
- (2006) Concept, Context and beyond: Manner of Motion Verbs Encoding and Relevant Bits of information. The fifth International conference. Formal Approaches to south Slavic and Balkan Languages. 18-20 october 2006, Sofia, Bulgaria. Dedicated to the 75th anniversary of Prof. Jordan Penchev. PROCEEDINGS.
- (2005) Introduction. Grammar and Beyond. Essays in honour of Lars Hellan.
- (2003) Observations on the ordering of modifiers in nominal expressions in some Old Bulgarian texts with reference to Greek. Slavia Orthodoxa. Ezik i kultura.
- (2002) Modification in the Balkan Nominal Expression: an account of the (A)NA : AN(*A) order contrast. Tasmowsky, L., H. d�Hulst & M. Coene (eds.) Proceedings of the International Congress on the Syntax and Pragma-Semantics of Noun Phrases, Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- (1999) Clitics in the Slavic Languages. Clitics in the Languages of Europe Series: Empirical Approaches to Language Typology.
- (1999) Possessors in the Bulgarian DP. Topics in South Slavic Syntax and Semantics.
- (1999) Clitics and Bulgarian Clause Structure. Clitics in the Languages of Europe Series: Empirical Approaches to language Typology.
- (1999) Introduction: The Clausal Structure of South Slavic. Topics in South Slavic Syntax and Semantics,.
- (1998) Criteriality and Grammatical Realization. Lexical Specification and Insertion.
- (1998) A typology of measures. Papers from the XVIth Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics.
- (1998) Fragments of Balkan nominal structure. Possessors, predicates and movement in the determiner phrase.