Background and activities
My current research lies at the intersection of linguistic theory, language and cognition, language learning and language comprehension across the life-span, and language and cognition in developmental deficits.
My major research projects and grants include:
DCOMM - Horizon2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN grant (2016-2020) - WP lead
LanPercept - 7 FP Marie Skłodowska-Curie LanPercept Initial Training Network, Coordinator (2013-2016)
NFR Norwegian National Graduate School of Linguistics and Philology, project leader and Scientific Director (2012-2020)
COST Action IS1406 “Enhancing children's oral language skills across Europe and beyond - a collaboration focusing on interventions for children with difficulties learning their first language” Management Committee Member, Training Coordinator (2015-2019)
NFR FRIHUM project “Situated reference in Language Acquisition” (2013-2016)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Gesture and Language Trajectories in Early Development: An Overview From the Autism Spectrum Disorder Perspective. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2019) Boon or burden? The role of compositional meaning in figurative language processing and acquisition. Journal of Logic, Language and Information. vol. 28.
- (2018) The interpretation of focused pronouns in Norwegian children and adults. Nordic Journal of Linguistics. vol. 41 (1).
- (2018) Can phonological awareness predict concurrent reading outcomes in a deep orthography?. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 15.
- (2017) Can you tell it by the prime: A study of metaphorical priming in high-functioning autism in comparison with matched controls. International journal of language and communication disorders. vol. 52 (6).
- (2017) THE INFLUENCE OF VISUAL CONTEXT AND IT-CLEFTS ON AMBIGUOUS PRONOUN PROCESSING IN NORWEGIAN CHILDREN. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. 16 (1).
- (2017) Strategies of readers with autism when responding to inferential questions: An eye movement study. Autism Research. vol. 10 (5).
- (2017) Editorial: Language development in the digital age. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. vol. 11:447.
- (2016) Can you play with fire and not hurt yourself? A Comparative study in figurative language comprehension between individuals with and without Autism Spectrum Disorder. PLoS ONE. vol. 11 (12).
- (2016) Predictors of metaphorical understanding in high functioning autism. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. 15 (1).
- (2016) L1, quantity of exposure to L2 and reading disability as factors in L2 oral comprehension and production skills. Learning and individual differences. vol. 50.
- (2016) Factor Structure of the Bulgarian CAST: (Childhood Autism Spectrum Test). Journal of Intellectual Disability - Diagnosis and Treatment. vol. 4 (2).
- (2015) Pathways to language: Same talent, different cognitive profiles. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 12.
- (2015) As naturalistic as it gets: Subtitles in the English classroom in Norway. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 6.
- (2015) Figurative language processing in atypical populations: The ASD perspective. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. vol. 9:24.
- (2014) Naturalistic acquisition in an early language classroom. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 5.
- (2014) Predictors of Reading in Urdu: Does Deep Orthography Have an Impact?. Dyslexia. vol. 20 (2).
- (2014) Links between phonological memory, first language competence and second language competence in 10-year-old children. Learning and individual differences. vol. 35.
- (2013) Morphology in autism spectrum disorders: Local processing bias and language. Cognitive Neuropsychology.