Mila Dimitrova Vulchanova
Background and activities
My major research projects and grants include:
e-LADDA - Horizon2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN grant (2019-2023) - Scientific Coordinator
DCOMM - Horizon2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN grant (2016-2020) - WP lead
LanPercept - 7 FP Marie Skłodowska-Curie LanPercept Initial Training Network, Coordinator (2013-2016)
NFR Norwegian National Graduate School of Linguistics and Philology, project leader and Scientific Director (2012-2020)
COST Action IS1406 “Enhancing children's oral language skills across Europe and beyond - a collaboration focusing on interventions for children with difficulties learning their first language” Management Committee Member, Training Coordinator (2015-2019)
NFR FRIHUM project “Situated reference in Language Acquisition” (2013-2016)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) More mental rotation time does not imply more mental effort: Pupillary diameters do not change with angular distance. Brain and Cognition. vol. 148 (105670).
- (2021) Collocational frequency and context effects on idiom processing in advanced L2 speakers. Canadian journal of experimental psychology.
- (2021) Role of Subtitles in L2 Acquisition and Comprehension: A Pilot Study of Hearing-Impaired Students. Languages. vol. 6 (17).
- (2020) Tell me where it is: Selective difficulties in spatial language on the autism spectrum. Autism. vol. 24 (7).
- (2020) More mental rotation time does not imply more mental effort: Pupillary diameters do not change with angular distance. Brain and Cognition. vol. 148.
- (2020) Spatial language difficulties reflect the structure of intact spatial representation: Evidence from high-functioning autism. Cognitive Psychology. vol. 116.
- (2020) Differences in word learning in children: bilingualism or linguistic experience?. Applied Psycholinguistics. vol. 42 (2).
- (2020) Embedding (im)plausible clauses in propositional attitude contexts: Modulatory effects on the N400 and late components. Journal of Neurolinguistics. vol. 53.
- (2020) Reading goals and executive function in autism: An eye tracking study. Autism Research.
- (2020) Meaning before grammar: A review of ERP experiments on the neurodevelopmental origins of semantic processing. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review. vol. 27 (3).
- (2020) Different Ways of Making a Point: A Study of Gestural Communication in Typical and Atypical Early Development. Autism Research.
- (2020) Cultural and linguistic practice with children with developmental language disorder: Findings from an international practitioner survey. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica.
- (2020) Hva skjer om møtet med skriftspråket blir formidlet av et nettbrett?. Morgenbladet.
- (2020) Shrinking your deictic system: How far can you go?. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2019) Spatial language difficulties reflect the structure of intact spatial representation: Evidence from high-functioning autism . Cognitive Psychology. vol. 116.
- (2019) Gesture and language trajectories in early development: An overview from the autism spectrum disorder perspective. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 10:1211 (MAY).
- (2019) Do Individuals with Autism Change Their Reading Behavior to Adapt to Errors in the Text?. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- (2019) Gaze and Motor Traces of Language Processing: Evidence from Autism Spectrum Disorders in Comparison to Typical Controls. Cognitive Neuropsychology.
- (2019) Boon or burden? The role of compositional meaning in figurative language processing and acquisition. Journal of Logic, Language and Information. vol. 28 (2).
- (2019) Language and perception: Introduction to the special issue "Speakers and listeners in the visual world". Journal of Cultural Cognitive Science. vol. 3 (2).
- (2018) The interpretation of focused pronouns in Norwegian children and adults. Nordic Journal of Linguistics. vol. 41 (1).
- (2018) Can phonological awareness predict concurrent reading outcomes in a deep orthography?. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 15.
- (2017) Can you tell it by the prime: A study of metaphorical priming in high-functioning autism in comparison with matched controls. International journal of language and communication disorders. vol. 52 (6).
- (2017) THE INFLUENCE OF VISUAL CONTEXT AND IT-CLEFTS ON AMBIGUOUS PRONOUN PROCESSING IN NORWEGIAN CHILDREN. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. 16 (1).
- (2017) Strategies of readers with autism when responding to inferential questions: An eye movement study. Autism Research. vol. 10 (5).
- (2017) Editorial: Language development in the digital age. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. vol. 11:447.
- (2016) Can you play with fire and not hurt yourself? A Comparative study in figurative language comprehension between individuals with and without Autism Spectrum Disorder. PLOS ONE. vol. 11 (12).
- (2016) Predictors of metaphorical understanding in high functioning autism. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. 15 (1).
- (2016) L1, quantity of exposure to L2 and reading disability as factors in L2 oral comprehension and production skills. Learning and Individual Differences. vol. 50.
- (2016) Factor Structure of the Bulgarian CAST: (Childhood Autism Spectrum Test). Journal of Intellectual Disability - Diagnosis and Treatment. vol. 4 (2).
- (2015) Flerspråklighet, andrespråk, språktilegnelse. norsklektorlag.no (Norsk lektorlags nettsider).
- (2015) Pathways to language: Same talent, different cognitive profiles. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 12.
- (2015) As naturalistic as it gets: Subtitles in the English classroom in Norway. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 6.
- (2015) Figurative language processing in atypical populations: The ASD perspective. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. vol. 9:24.
- (2014) Naturalistic acquisition in an early language classroom. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 5.
- (2014) Predictors of Reading in Urdu: Does Deep Orthography Have an Impact?. Dyslexia. vol. 20 (2).
- (2014) Links between phonological memory, first language competence and second language competence in 10-year-old children. Learning and Individual Differences. vol. 35.
- (2012) Bjorn Hansen and Jasmina Grkovic-Major, Eds.: Diachronic Slavonic Syntax: Gradual Changes in Focus, Review. Journal of Slavic Linguistics. vol. 20 (2).
- (2012) No Evidence of L1 Path Encoding Strategies in the L2 in Advanced Bulgarian Speakers of Norwegian. Spatial Cognition and Computation. vol. 12 (4).
- (2012) Morphology in autism spectrum disorders: Local processing bias and language. Cognitive Neuropsychology. vol. 29 (7-8).
- (2012) Language against the odds, or rather not: The weak central coherence hypothesis and language. Journal of Neurolinguistics. vol. 25 (1).
- (2012) The role of input in early bilingual lexical development. Lingue e linguaggio. vol. XI (2).
- (2011) Idiom comprehension in the first language: a developmental study. Vigo International Journal of Applied Linguistics. vol. 8.
- (2011) Assessing the feature-driven nature of similarity-based sorting of verbs. POLIBITS Research Journal on Computer Science and Computer Engineering With Applications.
- (2009) Predictive Eye Movements Are Driven by Goals, Not by the Mirror Neuron System. Psychological Science. vol. 20 (4).
- (2019) Speakers and Listeners in the Visual World. Springer Nature. 2019. ISBN 978-981-32-9978-8. Journal of Cultural Cognitive Science (2).
- (2019) NRDLS – The New Reynell Developmental Language Scales. Hogrefe & Huber Publishers. 2019. ISBN 978-0-9874288-0-6.
- (2017) Language Development in the Digital Age. 2017. ISBN 978-2-88945-313-9.
- (2012) Motion Encoding in Language and Space. Oxford University Press. 2012. ISBN 978-0-19-966121-3.
- (2009) Investigations in the Bulgarian and Macedonian Nominal Expression. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2009. ISBN 978-82-519-2473-3.
- (2005) Grammar and Beyond. Essays in honour of Lars Hellan. Novus Forlag. 2005. ISBN 82-7099-406-5.
- (1999) Verb Semantics, Diathesis and Aspect. 1999. LINCOM Series in theoretical linguistics.
- (1999) Topics in South Slavic Syntax and Semantics,. John Benjamins Publishing Company. 1999.
Part of book/report
- (2020) Word structure and word processing in developmental disorders. Word Knowledge and Word Usage: A Cross-disciplinary Guide to the Mental Lexicon.
- (2019) Norway. Managing Children with Developmental Language Disorder Theory and Practice Across Europe and Beyond, 1st Edition.
- (2018) The nature and effects of Norwegian diglossia. Å skrive nynorsk og bokmål. Nye tverrfaglege perspektiv.
- (2018) Figurative Language Processing in Autism. The Interactive Mind: Language, Vision and Attention.
- (2016) On two types of result: Resultatives revisited. Aspectuality and Temporality.
- (2015) L1, quantity of exposure to L2, and reading disability as factors in L2 literacy skills. Usage-Based Perspectives on Second Language Learning.
- (2014) Flerspråklighet i Norge: en eksperimentell språkprosesseringsstudie. Rom for språk. Nye innsikter i språkleg mangfald.
- (2013) A Basic Level for the Encoding of Biological Motion. The Construal of Spatial Meaning.
- (2012) Voice. The Oxford Handbook of Tense and Aspect.
- (2012) Distinctions in the linguistic encoding of motion: Evidence from a free naming task. Motion Encoding in Language and Space.
- (2012) Introduction. Motion Encoding in Language and Space.