Background and activities
Nhien Nguyen is an Associate Professor at NTNU, Faculty of Economics and Management, Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management. She is also a senior researcher at Nordland Research Institute, Bodø, Norway, and Associate Editor of The Learning Organization journal (Emerald). She holds a PhD in Innovation Management and Strategy from NTNU. She is a member of the Norwegian Research School in Innovation (NORSI), a visiting fellow at Stanford University (SCANCOR program), MIT Sloan School of Management (MBA program), and cross-registrant at Harvard Business School (MBA program).
Nhien Nguyen has been leading and coordinating several research projects focusing on innovation strategies, both at the organizational level and the national/regional policy level. She is the scientific leader of the SeeRRI project (H2020 – SWAFS14- 2018) which aims to establish a foundation for building self-sustaining research and innovation ecosystems in Europe through Responsible Research and Innovation.
She is also a work package leader in the I AM RRI project (H2020-SWAFS12-2017) which develop the simulation model of innovation value chains in Additive Manufacturing under the consideration of Responsible Research and Innovation, and the DigiTeRRI project (H2020 - SwafS14 -2019) which develops a framework for a responsible transition of traditional industry regions into digitalised industry R&I ecosystems.
She is currently a team member in the evaluation work package for the CityLoops project (H2020-SC5-2018) which aims to develop, implement, and replicate a series of innovative urban planning approaches and instruments, aimed at facilitating closing the loops of urban material and resource flows and promoting the transition to a circular economy (CE), thereby reducing the environmental footprint, increasing regenerative capacities, and stimulating new business opportunities and job creation in European cities.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) The role of unlearning in metamorphosis and strategic resilience. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (2).
- (2017) The journey of organizational unlearning: a conversation with William H. Starbuck. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (1).
- (2017) Unlearning or ‘How NOT to Be Governed?. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (1).
- (2017) The academic non-consultation phenomenon revisited: a research agenda. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (5).
- (2016) Becoming a leader-manager: a matter of training and education. Development and Learning in Organizations: An International Journal. vol. 30 (6).
- (2018) SMART ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING IN NORWAY - CONNECTING MICRO AND MACRO. 2018. ISBN 978-82-7321-737-0.
- (2017) Entrepreneurial Discovery Processes and Restructuring: A Research Agenda. 2017.
- (2017) Tilleggsvirksomheter på gårdsbruk i Nordland: Gårdsturisme, lokalmatproduksjon og omsorgs- og velferdstjenester. 2017. ISBN 978-82-7321-702-8.
- (2017) The impact of specialization on knowledge transfer. DRUID17 . NYU Stern School of Business; New York. 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-14.
- (2017) "Innovation and Learning" guest lecture. Innovation in Public Sector course - Master program in HRM at Nord University ; Bodø. 2017-03-07 - 2017-03-07.
- (2016) The power of failure to ignite sensemaking and problem setting. DRUID 16 Conference . DRUID; Copenhagen. 2016-06-13 - 2016-06-15.
- (2016) Failing to learn from failure in innovation: A systematic literature review. NORSI RESEARCH SCHOOL CONFERENCE 2016 . Norwegian Research School of Innovation; Oslo. 2016-12-15 - 2016-12-15.
- (2016) Learning from experience in innovation. Innovation in Service - Master program - Nord University ; Bodø. 2016-03-08 - 2016-03-08.
- (2016) The interplay of paradoxical tensions in ambidexterity. DRUID 16 Conference . DRUID; København. 2016-06-13 - 2016-06-15.
- (2015) How size of failure affects learning from failure in innovation. The 75th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management . AOM committee; Vancouver, British Columbia. 2015-08-07 - 2015-08-11.
- (2015) How do failure sizes affect learning from failure?. FIBE conference . Norwegian School of Economics; Bergen. 2015-01-08 - 2015-01-09.
- (2015) Typology of failures in innovation activities. NORSI Conference . NORSI; Trondheim. 2015-05-06 - 2015-05-07.
- (2015) How failure size affects learning in innovation. DRUID15 . DRUID society and LUISS University; Rome. 2015-06-15 - 2015-06-17.
- (2015) How size of failure affects learning from failure in innovation. Research School Conference 2016 . The National Research School in Business Economics and Admin; Trondheim. 2015-08-25 - 2015-08-26.
- (2015) How size of failure affects learning from it in innovation. NORSI conference . NORSI; Trondheim. 2015-05-06 - 2015-05-07.
- (2015) Learning from failure: The impact of size. SCANCOR Friday seminar . Scandinavian Consortium for Organizational Research; Stanford University. 2015-12-04 - 2015-12-04.
- (2015) The effect of failures' size on learning from them: Implication for innovation. The 2015 EGOS Colloquium . EGOS committee and ALBA Graduate Business School; Athens. 2015-07-02 - 2015-07-04.
- (2014) Learning from failure in innovation activities. NORSI conference ; Oslo. 2014-09-02 - 2014-09-02.
- (2014) Mechanism for learning from failure in innovation activities. FIBE conference 2014 . Norwegian School of Economics (NHH); Norwegian School of Economics (NHH). 2014-01-09 - 2014-01-10.
- (2014) Typologies of failure in innovation activities. NFB 2014 . NFB; Bergen. 2014-08-28 - 2014-08-29.
- (2014) Typologies of failure in innovation activities. EGOS conference 2014 ; Rotterdam School of Managements, Rotterdam. 2014-07-01 - 2014-07-05.
- (2013) Measuring organization innovativeness: A conceptual framework. NFB conference 2013 . NFB; Stavanger. 2013-08-22 - 2013-08-23.