Background and activities
Nhien Nguyen is an Associate Professor at NTNU, Faculty of Economics and Management, Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management. She is also a senior researcher at Nordland Research Institute, Bodø, Norway, and a former Associate Editor of The Learning Organization journal (Emerald). She holds a PhD in Industrial Economics and Technology Management from NTNU, funded by the Norwegian Research School in Innovation’s Program of Innovation Management and Strategy (NORSI-PIMS). She was a visiting fellow at Stanford University in her PhD program (SCANCOR), a visiting fellow at MIT Sloan School of Management in her MBA program in which she also cross-registered at Harvard Business School.
- Innovation management and strategy, Innovation ecosystems, Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI)
- Digital strategy, AI, digital business model.
- Smart Specialisation Strategy for Sustainabiliy (S4)
Nhien Nguyen is currently the Work Package leader on AI innovation ecosystem at the Norwegian Research Center for AI Innovation (NorwAI) which is the largest academic initiative on AI innovation in Norway.
Nhien Nguyen has been leading and coordinating several research projects focusing on innovation strategies, both at the organizational level and the national/regional policy level. She is the scientific leader of the SeeRRI project (H2020 – SWAFS14- 2018) which aims to intergrate Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) approach to regional innovation strategy towards Sustainability (Smart Specialisation Strategy for Sustainability S4)
She is also a work package leader in the I AM RRI project (H2020-SWAFS12-2017) which develop the simulation model of innovation value chains in Additive Manufacturing under the consideration of Responsible Research and Innovation, and the DigiTeRRI project (H2020 - SwafS14 -2019) which develops a framework for a responsible transition of traditional industry regions into digitalised industry R&I ecosystems.
She is currently a team member in the evaluation work package for the CityLoops project (H2020-SC5-2018) which aims to develop, implement, and replicate a series of innovative urban planning approaches and instruments, aimed at facilitating closing the loops of urban material and resource flows and promoting the transition to a circular economy (CE), thereby reducing the environmental footprint, increasing regenerative capacities, and stimulating new business opportunities and job creation in European cities.
List of the special issues that Nhien Nguyen is guest-editor:
- Special Issue “Making a Difference via Organizational Learning” (2019), guest edited by Professor George P. Huber in collaboration with Associate Editor Nhien Nguyen (link)
- Special Issue “Organizational Ambidexterity: Two modes of learning” (2019), guest edited by Professor Alf Steinar Sætre and Dr. Nhien Nguyen; (link)
- Special Issue “Organizational Unlearning: Opportunities and Interdisciplinary Perspectives” (2019), guest edited by Nhien Nguyen, Thomas Grisold, Adrian Klammer; (link)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth. Learning Organization. vol. 28 (3).
- (2020) The responsible learning organization : Can Senge (1990) teach organizations how to become responsible innovators?. Learning Organization. vol. 27 (1).
- (2020) Post-failure success: sensemaking in problem representation reformulation. Journal of Product Innovation Management. vol. 37 (6).
- (2019) Making a difference through organizational learning. Learning Organization. vol. 26 (1).
- (2019) Organizational ambidexterity: two modes of learning. Learning Organization. vol. 26 (4).
- (2017) The role of unlearning in metamorphosis and strategic resilience. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (2).
- (2017) The journey of organizational unlearning: a conversation with William H. Starbuck. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (1).
- (2017) Unlearning or ‘How NOT to Be Governed?. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (1).
- (2017) The academic non-consultation phenomenon revisited: a research agenda. Learning Organization. vol. 24 (5).
- (2016) Becoming a leader-manager: a matter of training and education. Development and Learning in Organizations: An International Journal. vol. 30 (6).
Part of book/report
- (2020) Incubation and founders’ champion behaviour. Research handbook on start-up incubation ecosystems.
- (2020) The Role of Smart Specialization in Providing Regional Strategic Support for Establishing Sustainable Start-up Incubation Ecosystems. Research handbook on start-up incubation ecosystems.
- (2019) How Best to Study the Learning Organization. The Oxford Handbook of The Learning Organization.
- (2019) Beyond related variety, creating ambidexterity for economic growth. The Entrepreneurial Discovery Process and Regional Development. New Knowledge Emergence, Conversion and Exploitation.
- (2018) SMART ECONOMIC RESTRUCTURING IN NORWAY - CONNECTING MICRO AND MACRO. 2018. ISBN 978-82-7321-737-0.
- (2017) Entrepreneurial Discovery Processes and Restructuring: A Research Agenda. 2017.
- (2017) Tilleggsvirksomheter på gårdsbruk i Nordland: Gårdsturisme, lokalmatproduksjon og omsorgs- og velferdstjenester. 2017. ISBN 978-82-7321-702-8.
- (2019) Typology of regional innovation ecosystem dynamics. Regional Innovation Policies Conference 2019 . Università degli Studi di Firenze; Firenze. 2019-11-07 - 2019-11-08.
- (2019) Eksempler på lokale aktører med suksess i EU-systemet. Seminar om EU-finansiering . Kunnskapsparken Bodø; Bodø. 2019-09-25 - 2019-09-25.
- (2018) Knowledge transfer in knowledge-intensive organizations: The dual role of specialization. Strategic Management Society (SMS) Special Conference . BI Norwegian Business School; Oslo. 2018-06-07 - 2018-06-09.
- (2017) The impact of specialization on knowledge transfer. DRUID17 . NYU Stern School of Business; New York. 2017-06-12 - 2017-06-14.
- (2017) "Innovation and Learning" guest lecture. Innovation in Public Sector course - Master program in HRM at Nord University ; Bodø. 2017-03-07 - 2017-03-07.
- (2016) The power of failure to ignite sensemaking and problem setting. DRUID 16 Conference . DRUID; Copenhagen. 2016-06-13 - 2016-06-15.
- (2016) Failing to learn from failure in innovation: A systematic literature review. NORSI RESEARCH SCHOOL CONFERENCE 2016 . Norwegian Research School of Innovation; Oslo. 2016-12-15 - 2016-12-15.
- (2016) Learning from experience in innovation. Innovation in Service - Master program - Nord University ; Bodø. 2016-03-08 - 2016-03-08.
- (2016) The interplay of paradoxical tensions in ambidexterity. DRUID 16 Conference . DRUID; København. 2016-06-13 - 2016-06-15.
- (2015) How size of failure affects learning from failure in innovation. The 75th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management . AOM committee; Vancouver, British Columbia. 2015-08-07 - 2015-08-11.
- (2015) How do failure sizes affect learning from failure?. FIBE conference . Norwegian School of Economics; Bergen. 2015-01-08 - 2015-01-09.
- (2015) Typology of failures in innovation activities. NORSI Conference . NORSI; Trondheim. 2015-05-06 - 2015-05-07.
- (2015) How failure size affects learning in innovation. DRUID15 . DRUID society and LUISS University; Rome. 2015-06-15 - 2015-06-17.
- (2015) How size of failure affects learning from failure in innovation. Research School Conference 2016 . The National Research School in Business Economics and Admin; Trondheim. 2015-08-25 - 2015-08-26.
- (2015) How size of failure affects learning from it in innovation. NORSI conference . NORSI; Trondheim. 2015-05-06 - 2015-05-07.
- (2015) Learning from failure: The impact of size. SCANCOR Friday seminar . Scandinavian Consortium for Organizational Research; Stanford University. 2015-12-04 - 2015-12-04.
- (2015) The effect of failures' size on learning from them: Implication for innovation. The 2015 EGOS Colloquium . EGOS committee and ALBA Graduate Business School; Athens. 2015-07-02 - 2015-07-04.
- (2014) Learning from failure in innovation activities. NORSI conference ; Oslo. 2014-09-02 - 2014-09-02.
- (2014) Mechanism for learning from failure in innovation activities. FIBE conference 2014 . Norwegian School of Economics (NHH); Norwegian School of Economics (NHH). 2014-01-09 - 2014-01-10.
- (2014) Typologies of failure in innovation activities. NFB 2014 . NFB; Bergen. 2014-08-28 - 2014-08-29.
- (2014) Typologies of failure in innovation activities. EGOS conference 2014 ; Rotterdam School of Managements, Rotterdam. 2014-07-01 - 2014-07-05.
- (2013) Measuring organization innovativeness: A conceptual framework. NFB conference 2013 . NFB; Stavanger. 2013-08-22 - 2013-08-23.