Background and activities
I am interested in the study and improvement of risk assessment and management in the broadest sense, from economic to organizational implications.
I have previously worked in internationally renowned research teams in United Kingdom (Health and Safety Laboratory), Norway (SINTEF), and Canada (Memorial University of Newfoundland).
I have been involved in a number of projects dealing with industrial and societal risks, such as:
- EU FP7 projects
- “DemoCLOCK” on demonstration of power production with CO2 capture;
- “iNTeg-Risk” on early recognition, monitoring and integrated management of emerging, new technology related risks.
- Projects financed by the Norwegian Research Council
- “New Strains of Society: Hidden, Dynamic and Emergent Vulnerabilities”, on the development of an analytical framework to handle new societal threats;
- “Petro-HRA” on the analysis of human actions as barriers in major accidents in the petroleum industry, co-financed by Statoil.
I am the Norwegian Delegate at the Working Party on Loss Prevention and Safety Promotion of the European Federation of Chemical Engineering.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) LNG-fuelled fishing vessels: A systems engineering approach. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment. vol. 50.
- (2017) Dynamic risk analysis for Seveso sites. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 49.
- (2017) Development of an economic model for counter terrorism measures in the process-industry. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 49 (B).
- (2017) Development of an economic model for the allocation of preventive security measures against environmental and ecological terrorism in chemical facilities. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 109.
- (2016) Dynamic risk management: a contemporary approach to process safety management. Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering. vol. 14.
- (2016) A methodology for frequency tailorization dedicated to the Oil & Gas sector. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 104 (A).
- (2016) Accident Frequency Evaluation to Support Dynamic Risk Studies. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 48.
- (2016) Dynamic evaluation of risk: From safety indicators to proactive techniques. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 53.
- (2016) Towards dynamic risk analysis: A review of the risk assessment approach and its limitations in the chemical process industry. Safety Science. vol. 89.
- (2015) Coupling of advanced techniques for dynamic risk management. Journal of Risk Research. vol. 18 (7).
- (2015) Hazard identification for innovative LNG regasification technologies. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 137.
- (2015) Overview on dynamic approaches to risk management in process facilities. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 43.
- (2014) On the application of near accident data to risk analysis of major accidents. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 126.
- (2014) Dynamic approach to risk management: Application to the Hoeganaes metal dust accidents. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 92 (6).
- (2014) Addressing dynamic risk in the petroleum industry by means of innovative analysis solutions. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 36.
- (2014) Surface installations intended for Carbon Capture and Sequestration: Atypical accident scenarios and their identification. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 92 (1).
- (2013) Identification of Hazards and Environmental Impact Assessment for an Integrated Approach to Emerging risks of CO2 Capture Installations. Energy Procedia. vol. 37.
- (2013) Towards a new approach for the identification of atypical accident scenarios. Journal of Risk Research. vol. 16 (3-4).
- (2013) DyPASI Methodology: from Information Retrieval to Integration of HAZID Process. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 32.
- (2013) Dynamic Procedure for Atypical Scenarios Identification (DyPASI): A new systematic HAZID tool. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 26 (4).