Background and activities
2012 PhD in Environmental, Safety and Chemical Engineering, with Doctor Europaeus mention certifying European research experience in the United Kingdom and Norway: Department of Chemical, Mining and Environmental Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy, PhD supervisor: Valerio Cozzani
2008 MS in Chemical and Process Engineering with highest honors. Department of Chemical, Mining and Environmental Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy
CURRENT AND PREVIOUS POSITIONS
2016- ongoing Associate Professor in Risk Assessment. Tenure track of 7 years within the Onsager fellowship programme. Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, NTNU, Norway.
2016- ongoing Adjunct Professor in Offshore HSE Management. Department of Civil, Chemical, Environmental, and Materials Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy.
2012-2016 Research Scientist. Department of Safety Research, SINTEF Technology and Society, Norway
2012-2012 Postdoctoral fellow. Department of Chemical, Mining and Environmental Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy
FELLOWSHIPS, AWARDS AND PRIZES
2016-ongoing Onsager fellowship, awarded by NTNU “to attract the most talented scholars who have an established reputation for high-quality research and a commitment to learning and teaching at the university level”.
2012 Frank Lees Medal, awarded by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) for “the most meritorious publication on the topic of safety and loss prevention”.
MOBILITY (research stays abroad lasting more than three months)
2012 Visiting Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN), St John’s, Canada. Funded by: Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Vale Chair Research Grant awarded by MUN and Marco Polo grant awarded by University of Bologna.
2010-2011 Visiting Researcher at SINTEF Technology and Society, Dept. of Safety research. Funded by: Marco Polo grant awarded by University of Bologna.
2009-2010 Visiting Researcher at Health & Safety Laboratory. HSL, Buxton, United Kingdom. Funded by: EU FP7 project iNTeg-Risk.
2007 Intern at TNO (Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research), Apeldoorn, Netherlands. Funded by: Leonardo Da Vinci grant, awarded by European Commission
SUPERVISION OF GRADUATE STUDENTS AND RESEARCH FELLOWS
2016-ongoing 1 PostDoc/ 7 PhDs/ 25 Master students, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, NTNU, Norway.
2019-ongoing Coordinator of: TPK5160 Risk Analysis; and TPK4852 Hydrogen in Transportation for a Safe and Sustainable Future. NTNU, Norway.
2016-ongoing Lecturer for: 78486 Offshore HSE Management. Alma Mater Studiorum – University of Bologna.
2016-2018 Lecturer for: MR8406 Operational Risk Analysis; TPK4185 Industrial Systems Engineering; TPK4140 Maintenance Management; and TPK5115 Risk Management in Projects. NTNU, Norway.
2018 Head of the evaluation committee for a full-time permanent position of Associate Professor in Maritime Human Factors. University of South-Eastern Norway.
2016-2017 Administrator of the Evaluation Committee for 2 PhD dissertations. NTNU, Norway.
2018-ongoing SH2IFT – Safe H2 Fuel Handling and Use for Efficient Implementation. Role: NTNU responsible, investigator and PhD supervisor. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council (ENERGIX).
2015-2017 New Strains of Society: Hidden, Dynamic and Emergent Vulnerabilities – development of an analytical framework to handle new societal threats. Role: NTNU responsible and investigator. Funded by the Norwegian Research Council (SAMRISK).
2015-2016 Risikoanalyse i drift – development of real-time risk analysis concepts for ENI. Role: investigator. Funded by ENI Norge.
2013-2013 Methodology for monitoring safety level development in and around Seveso establishments. Role: investigator. Funded by Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection (DSB).
2012-2016 Petro-HRA – Analysis of human actions as barriers in major accidents in the petroleum industry, applicability of human reliability analysis methods. Role: investigator. Funded by Norwegian Research Council and Statoil.
2012-2014 IO3 – Proactive Management of Safety and Environment, Center for Integrated Operations in the Petroleum Industry. Role: work package leader. Funded by Norwegian Research Council and major oil companies.
2012-2014 DemoCLOCK – Demonstration of a cost effective medium size Chemical Looping Combustion through packed beds using solid hydrocarbons as fuel for power production with CO2 capture. Role: investigator. Funded by EU 7th framework programme.
2009-2012 iNTeg-Risk, Early recognition, monitoring and integrated management of emerging, new technology related risks. Role: investigator. Funded by EU seventh framework programme.
COMMISSIONS OF TRUST
2019-ongoing Member of the editorial board of the journal “Safety in Extreme Environments”.
2019 Member of the International Scientific Committee for the Conference Loss Prevention 2019.
2017-ongoing Member of the board of the Society of Risk Analysis Europe.
2017 Member of the Technical Committee for the International Conference on System Reliability and Safety ICSRS2017.
2016-ongoing Associate editor and reviewer for the journal “Safety Science”
2016-ongoing Norwegian Delegate of the Working Party on Loss Prevention and Safety Promotion, European Federation of Chemical Engineering (EFCE).
2016-ongoing Co-chair on Accident and Incident modelling, European Safety and Reliability Association (ESRA) Technical Committee.
2016-2019 Member of the Technical Programme Committee for the yearly Conference on European Safety and Reliability ESREL.
2009-ongoing Reviewer for the following journals: “Process Safety and Environmental Protection”, “Reliability Engineering and System Safety”, “Risk Analysis”, and “Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries”.
MEMBERSHIPS OF ACADEMIES / SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES
2018 Chartered Engineer registered in the British Engineering Council register.
2018 Charted Scientist registered in the British Science Council register.
2013-ongoing Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers IChemE.
2012-ongoing Member of the Society of Risk Analysis.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Approach to the selection of strategies for emerging risk management considering uncertainty as the main decision variable in occupational contexts. Safety Science.
- (2021) Learning from failures in cruise ship industry: The blackout of Viking Sky in Hustadvika, Norway. Engineering Failure Analysis. vol. 125.
- (2021) On hierarchical bayesian based predictive maintenance of autonomous natural gas regulating operations. Process Safety and Environmental Protection.
- (2021) Wireless Sensor Networks for Detection and Localization of Subsea Oil Leakages. IEEE Sensors Journal. vol. 21 (9).
- (2020) Bayesian regression based condition monitoring approach for effective reliability prediction of random processes in autonomous energy supply operation. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 201.
- (2020) Integrating Real-Time Monitoring Data in Risk Assessment for Crane Related Offshore Operations. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 8 (7).
- (2020) Dynamic assessment of safety barriers preventing escalation in offshore Oil&Gas. Safety Science. vol. 121.
- (2020) A system engineering approach to subsea spill risk management. Safety Science. vol. 123.
- (2020) Mathematical Multi-physics Modeling and Simulation of a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Unit for Thermo-Mechanical Stress Analyses. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. vol. 167.
- (2020) Mathematical modeling and simulation of hydrogen-fueled solid oxide fuel cell system for micro-grid applications - Effect of failure and degradation on transient performance. Energy. vol. 202.
- (2020) Transient system-level performance and thermo-mechanical stress analysis of a solid oxide fuel cell-based power generation plant with a multi-physics approach. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 140.
- (2020) Learning from failures: Accidents of marine structures on Norwegian continental shelf over 40 years time period. Engineering Failure Analysis. vol. 111.
- (2020) Learning from non-failure of Onagawa nuclear power station: an accident investigation over its life cycle. Results in Engineering (RINENG). vol. 8.
- (2020) Comparison of risk-based maintenance approaches applied to a natural gas regulating and metering station. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 82.
- (2020) Chapter Two - Dynamic risk analysis—Fundamentals. Methods in Chemical Process Safety.
- (2020) Meta-learning for Safety Management. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 82.
- (2020) Human reliability analysis: Exploring the intellectual structure of a research field. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 203.
- (2020) Model-based information fusion investigation on fault isolation of subsea systems considering the interaction among subsystems and sensors. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 67.
- (2020) Integration Between Occupational and Process Safety: Existing Approaches and Challenges for an Enhanced Framework. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 82.
- (2020) Data Fusion for Subsea Oil Spill Detection Through Wireless Sensor Networks. Proceedings of IEEE Sensors.